9MM VS 40 SW Caliber - Page 10
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 135

Thread: 9MM VS 40 SW Caliber

  1. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    You seriously carry 9mm FMJ rounds? Are you purposely going for minimum damage and maximum over-penetration?
    Ahh the caliber war....let's agree to be friends after we've shared our opinions :)

    There is no perfect round as there is no perfect gun. I shoot what I perform best with so that shoot often, stay sharp, and maintain confidence. Shot-placement is critical and a bullet through the heart will stop a perp even if it's going "to fast" or "over penitrates".

    And should you carry a slower round, or hollow-points, or fragmentation.... should you miss and hit a bystander....well that's the same as going through your target and hitting that bystander. Trigger pull, grip, muscle-memory, stress management...so many more things go into placing a good shot, and those things require practice, so I say load what you like so you practice often.

    In otherwords, don't over think it.

  2.   
  3. #92
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueshell View Post
    Ahh the caliber war....let's agree to be friends after we've shared our opinions :)

    There is no perfect round as there is no perfect gun. I shoot what I perform best with so that shoot often, stay sharp, and maintain confidence. Shot-placement is critical and a bullet through the heart will stop a perp even if it's going "to fast" or "over penitrates".
    Your bullet is going through the bad guy and through whoever or whatever is behind him for a mile or more, because it's an FMJ round that maintains a lot of energy and momentum when passing through a body while doing less damage to it.

    For the record, I carry 9mm 147 grain JHP that expands to twice the original diameter, making a bigger hole and slowing the bullet down. That bigger hole results in almost 4-times more damage, i.e, a higher chance of hitting a vital organ. The slowdown makes the bullet less of a hazard when passing through a body.

    I do not know of any instructor that recommends 9mm FMJ for carry, unless we are talking about defense against four-legged predators. In this case, I carry 10mm 220 grain hardcast. You do understand that a .380 ACP FMJ-FN makes more damage than a 9mm FMJ? .380 ACP FMJ-FN has the tendency to tumble.

    As for your shot placement argument: You aim at center of mass (COM) and/or the head and shoot until the thread stops. At least one of those rounds needs to damage a vital organ to cause incapacitation though blood loss or central nervous system damage. A larger bullet has a larger chance of succeeding.

  4. #93
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueshell View Post
    .... should you miss and hit a bystander....well that's the same as going through your target and hitting that bystander.
    During my latest training qualification, I had a 100% hit rate out of 250 rounds fired. This included the 50-round qualification course of the local PD, as well as, more difficult courses. I don't equate expected FMJ pass-throughs with unintended JHP misses.

  5. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    For the record, I carry 9mm 147 grain JHP that expands to twice the original diameter, making a bigger hole and slowing the bullet down. That bigger hole results in almost 4-times more damage, i.e, a higher chance of hitting a vital organ. The slowdown makes the bullet less of a hazard when passing through a body.
    What brand do you proferr? I should try a box of that next time I'm at the range.

    Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    During my latest training qualification, I had a 100% hit rate out of 250 rounds fired. This included the 50-round qualification course of the local PD, as well as, more difficult courses. I don't equate expected FMJ pass-throughs with unintended JHP misses.
    That's outstanding, good job :)

  6. #95
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueshell View Post
    What brand do you proferr? I should try a box of that next time I'm at the range.
    Federal HST or Gold Dot. Both are common service caliber brands, i.e., law enforcement agencies carry exactly these rounds. They pass the FBI ballistics tests, i.e., they are able to pass through an intermediate barrier a bad guy may be hiding behind (such as an interior wall or car door) and still have significant penetration into the bad guy. I attached the marketing posters for both brands with the ballistics numbers. You can find those numbers also here. I currently carry 9mm Federal HST 147 grain +P (which is not on the poster), but I also have the standard pressure 9mm Federal HST 147 grain. You can get those online at very good prices, such as at SGAmmo.com. They currently have the 9mm Federal HST 147 grain +P for $34.95 per 50-round box. Note that the 147 grain +P round is not significantly snappier than the standard pressure 147 grain round, as both are soft shooting heavy-for-caliber rounds.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blueshell View Post
    That's outstanding, good job :)
    It is all about training and practice. Training in small class sizes helps to eliminate deficiencies, as the instructor can study your movements and tell you what you should do differently. Practicing is as important, especially practicing the correct execution of procedures.
    Attached Images Attached Images 9MM VS 40 SW Caliber-federal.jpg 9MM VS 40 SW Caliber-speer.jpg 

  7. #96
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The Old North State
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by zeke4351 View Post
    Let's quit guessing and see what the people that actually shoot people use and not just carry and talk about what is best. This list is up to date through May 2015. These are state police agencies not Mayberry where shootings are un heard of.
    I see what you're going for here but you are not taking into account the politics of purchasing in a large agency. They simply do not choose based on the same criteria you or I can... i.e. what performs and shoots best.

    However, since you mentioned it:

    Cased Closed: FBI Says 9mm Is The Best Pistol Round
    d( -.- )b

  8. I use 40SW because my gun won't shoot 9mm. :) I sometimes shoot 357SIG, but I can get 40SW a lot cheaper so I practice more with that.

  9. rehash of a moot point

    Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    So will one shot from a .22 should we all start carrying those?
    There are many people who carry .22 LR handguns. Many people carry what they are comfortable carrying, not what someone else has decided they should carry. A 500 S&W is a better man stopper than a 45 ACP, but no one whats to haul around the 500. The original discussion was 9mm vs 40 S&W, I think the discussion is moot when modern self defense ammunition is used.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
    Which between a 9MM and 40 SW Caliber,do you personally prefer?What are the advantages of each over the other?How about as defense load,which between the 9MM and 40 SW,would you choose?.And why?Also,is it true that the 40 SW is not as reliable?
    Thanks in advance.
    For self defense I prefer the 9 mm because of the difference in recoil thus accuracy also as far as reliability sw has more returns per year per model than highpoint a cheaper brand


    Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

  11. Wow, this is good to know and now I going out and buy another 9mm after I pick up a .45.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast