9MM VS 40 SW Caliber - Page 5
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 9MM VS 40 SW Caliber

Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    Those extra years have shown that while shot placement still reigns kings the 9mm far too often over penetrates without delivering all of its energy into the target.
    Please... support that statement with some evidence.
    d( -.- )b

no, it doesn't expand MORE at lower velocities. where did you get THAT idea. ? :-) what makes a hp expand is fluid filled tissues are forced into and then out of the nose cavity, and that "peels back" the lips of the cavity. lower velocity lowers the chance of this happening. all it takes for your 900 fps to be the fact is the very common 4", as vs 5" barrel. shoot some animals with your .40, and then look at the wound channel. notice the lack of evidence of expansion of the jhp. you need 1000+ fps and you aint got it.

185 gr, 950 fps .45's were never considered to amount to a hoot, but SOMEHOW, a smaller diameter (ie, less resistance in flesh) at LESS velocity is SOMEHOW just wonderful. similar to how the 850 fps, 158 lhp .38 always was poor, but SOMEHOW, a 147 gr JACKETED (ie harder to expand in flesh)lighter, same diameter, same velocity 9mm jhp is whoopeedoop! :-) Again, shoot some critters with it and you'll see exit wounds that look just like entrance wounds, and you'll see said critters run off with chest hits, too. for 50 ft-50 yds. Very unimpressive.

Quote Originally Posted by thru View Post
    185 gr, 950 fps .45's were never considered to amount to a hoot, but SOMEHOW, a smaller diameter (ie, less resistance in flesh) at LESS velocity is SOMEHOW just wonderful. similar to how the 850 fps, 158 lhp .38 always was poor, but SOMEHOW, a 147 gr JACKETED (ie harder to expand in flesh)lighter, same diameter, same velocity 9mm jhp is whoopeedoop! :-) Again, shoot some critters with it and you'll see exit wounds that look just like entrance wounds, and you'll see said critters run off with chest hits, too. for 50 ft-50 yds. Very unimpressive.
    Where in the world do you shoot animals all day and get away with it? There are better ways in testing ballistics without shooting a living animal. Jesus...

Sent from my hand-held mind distractor

I prefer the 9mm, and carry a Springfield Arms XD9, or occasionally a Canik55 Stingray. Manufacturers produce an enormous variety and number of 9mm handguns to choose from. I find 9mm to have sufficient ballistic energy (especially the self-defense loads), which - with the XD9's 16+1 capacity - provides (to me) an acceptable amount of "stopping power."

Of course, there are Ballistic "differences" between the 9mm, .40, and .45 bullets, but that difference is not huge (at least, not as a percentage). For instance, the relative average size of hollowpoint expansion (0.63" for 9mm, 0.68" for .40 cal, and 0.74" for .45 cal ... essentially a "range" from 5/8" to 3/4") I consider to be enough - even the low-end 9mm - for self-defense purposes. Especially when coupled with (most) 9mm handguns' extra magazine capacity.

9mm ammunition is generally available, at usually-affordable prices. Recoil in any medium-sized or larger pistol is easily controllable, which improves accuracy and even makes range practice more enjoyable.
    Never let an inanimate object know that you're in a hurry!

Quote Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
    Which between a 9MM and 40 SW Caliber,do you personally prefer?What are the advantages of each over the other?How about as defense load,which between the 9MM and 40 SW,would you choose?.And why?Also,is it true that the 40 SW is not as reliable?
    Thanks in advance.
    Use whichever you prefer. the reliability comes from some handguns, particularly subcompacts that were designed on a 9mm frame using the same frame for .40 cal and breaking after use because .40 is an over-pressure round and causes a bit mroe wear to the firearm. Any time you go up in power/energy, you're going to cause more wear of course. If you want a reliable .40, just buy one that was designed from the ground up to be a .40 (ie, designed with the .40 cal in mind, and not designed as a 9mm, then later upgraded to a .40 for marketing reasons)

In regards to my preference, I use a 9mm. The terminal ballistics of anything from 9mm to .45ACP is nearly identical, so I opt for a less snappy recoil, and more rounds in my mag (9mm usually allows for one or two more rounds in the same gun versus chambering for .40)
    9mm NATO is also a universal round, meaning I can find 9x19mm anywhere on Earth just about. Not so much the case with .40S&W.
    No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority.
    Robert A. Heinlein

I am so tired with this debate...

So I went and bought a SA XD .45..

Now I don't have to worry! I have the common calibers covered (.380, 9mm, .40 S&W and .45!).

Sent from behind enemy lines.

I own glock 19, 23, & 26 (ok, last one is my wife's, not mine). I find myself to be more accurate on my double tap with the 9 mm over the .40 (19 and 26 beat the 23). Tomorrow I have a buyer for the 23 along with 600 rounds of ammo and 4 magazines. I think I'll either buy myself a 26 of my own or I've actually been considering a sig with the DAK trigger.

For what it's worth I've never had a problem with reliability using either 9 mm or .40. I have no idea who started the rumor you heard about unreliable .40's but it is just flat out wrong.
    Last edited by farsidefan1; 10-29-2013 at 12:28 PM. Reason: added comment on reliability
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head!

I have both and I tend to be more accurate with my .40 but I like them both equally. I really think with the different load options the difference is more personal pref.

I also own both. The only advantage the 9mm has is that the magazine will hold more rounds and ammo is less expensive. My Springfield 40 S&W is just as comfortable to shoot and more accuate than my Glock 19. Reliability depends on the make and model. I've never heard anyone say the 40 S&W is not as reliable as a 9mm. The 40 S&W carries takes an edge on energy. I could shoot my 40 S&W all day, 10 minutes with a tiny .380 is 5 minutes too long. I think the biggest difference between the 9mm and the 40 S&W boils down to personal preference. 45 shooters like to say they carry a 45 because they don't make a 46 - but they do make a 50, I say go for it.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast