9MM VS 40 SW Caliber - Page 8
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 9MM VS 40 SW Caliber

With all the ballistic gel testing that is around and the data we see from the streets in shooting these two do not match up.
    Taylor Knock Out Power has been respected over the years as a great comparison of two cartridges, one to another.
    Here is a link where you can compare two loads same caliber or compare different calibers.
    Energy Calculator
    Many hunters look at the Taylor KO when selecting a load for game. Others have used it for picking a caliber for self protection.
    At least it can give you something to think about.
    “An armed society is a polite society.”

Quote Originally Posted by Stan45 View Post
    With all the ballistic gel testing that is around and the data we see from the streets in shooting these two do not match up.
    Taylor Knock Out Power has been respected over the years as a great comparison of two cartridges, one to another.
    Here is a link where you can compare two loads same caliber or compare different calibers.
    Energy Calculator
    Many hunters look at the Taylor KO when selecting a load for game. Others have used it for picking a caliber for self protection.
    At least it can give you something to think about.
    Thank you for that tool. Very great post Sir!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by N R A View Post
    Thank you for that tool. Very great post Sir!!!!!!
    You are most welcome.

While this graph does give some numbers to consider, someone pointed out in a blog, that a thrown bowling ball, has a higher TKOP score than an Elephant rifle. I do not know if that is true or not.

6. Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorrison View Post
    .......and its the only caliber Conrad is allowed to have!
    Now I know where Chinese Hot Mustard comes from...
    I'm a firm believer in two term limits for all politicians; one in office, the other in prison.

Which between a 9MM and 40 SW Caliber,do you personally prefer?

Either is fine with me.

The question of increased effectiveness amongst the common service calibers is not about equipment, but rather about mindset and training.
    Highly recommended reading:
    QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Quote Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
    Either is fine with me.

The question of increased effectiveness amongst the common service calibers is not about equipment, but rather about mindset and training.
    You are about 10% right.

You are about 10% right.
    Sure, Stan, because you have all of the answers.
    Highly recommended reading:
    QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

The smaller you go in caliber the more hits you will need to stop a threat.
    This holds true for police as well as home defense shootings.
    Sometimes the threat will die later, but is still shooting now. In a case like that, two things stop a threat effectively, a head shot and breaking a hip bone so the threat goes down and you can get away from the threat.

Head shots are good, but hard to make under stress. If you are a good shot, any caliber head shot will do. Smaller calibers like .380 will not be effective in dropping a threat by shooting a hip.

If this were a cooking forum, we could all post as experts on cracking eggs, and debate how best to do it. In a gun forum talking about shooting people, thank goodness few of us have any first hand expirence in the concepts we debate. I have never shot anyone, never hope to.

For years I searched for a legitimate reason to get into the .40 S&W. I never could find one. There is nothing a .40 will accomplish that a 9 MM or .45 ACP won't. If I require more power in a handgun than either of those 2 can produce, I'll go to a Magnum caliber revolver. The .40 has always been a solution looking for a problem to solve.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast