9MM VS 40 SW Caliber
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 9MM VS 40 SW Caliber

9MM VS 40 SW Caliber

Which between a 9MM and 40 SW Caliber,do you personally prefer?What are the advantages of each over the other?How about as defense load,which between the 9MM and 40 SW,would you choose?.And why?Also,is it true that the 40 SW is not as reliable?
    Thanks in advance.

I prefer the 9mm due to more rounds in the magazine. I see no advantage of the 40 over the 9, other than the round count stated earlier. I own both calibers and am not biased toward either one.

Also have both. Same model in both the .40 and 9mm. For some reason I tend to be a little more accurate with the 9mm. Not a pro here by any means, but I would just pick one and practice, practice, and practice some more.

Have never heard anything about or seen a difference in reliability between .40 and 9mm. Who knows what that's about.

Welcome to the forum.

I used to be a government-educated stooge. By the grace of God, I repent. -Robert Burris

Between those two
    9mm
    40 was a sales gimmick. They wanted high capacity over the awesome 45 and more power than a 9.
    IMHO if you need high capacity to hit your target, go for the 9mm
    If you practice regularly and can hit the target, get a 45.

Quit messing around and just stay with the proven 1911 45 ACP
    NRA PATRON
    NRA trainer http://www.missouriccw.com
    Holster Maker http://www.rockingwholsters.com

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Weber View Post
    Quit messing around and just stay with the proven 1911 45 ACP
    You realize the 9mm is in fact 3 years older than the .45 and the .40 has proven itself just fine being the most commonly carried cartridge by US police forces today... Right?

9mm is highest caliber I go with a pistol. .40 has to much recoil. That being said I have a .32 acp and a .380 acp for carry/home.

9MM VS 40 SW Caliber

Quote Originally Posted by trailboss View Post
    Between those two
    9mm
    40 was a sales gimmick. They wanted high capacity over the awesome 45 and more power than a 9.
    IMHO if you need high capacity to hit your target, go for the 9mm
    If you practice regularly and can hit the target, get a 45.
    You really need to read the history of the creation of the caliber that became the .40 S&W.
    If you seriously think it was created as a "gimmick", you have no idea about the round, nor what you are talking about.

Sent from behind enemy lines.

10. I've only shot 9mm, but it's a good load, not too expensive and getting easier to find. From what I understand, shot placement is more important than caliber, so whichever one you are comfortable with is best for you. A lower recoil load also makes it easier to get back on target for subsequent shots if the first one is not enough.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
    Which between a 9MM and 40 SW Caliber,do you personally prefer?What are the advantages of each over the other?How about as defense load,which between the 9MM and 40 SW,would you choose?.And why?Also,is it true that the 40 SW is not as reliable?
    Thanks in advance.
    Arm yourself with a Glock 19 (or equivalent) with 124 gr. JHP +P+ and two spare mag, and you will be as well armed as anyone can be with a handgun. IMHO the. 40 is an attempt to reinvent the. 45, and has greater muzzle blast and recoil than either the. 45 or the 9mm.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast