9mm VS .40 S&W - Page 12

View Poll Results: What Do You Prefer? 9mm or .40 S&W?

Voters
382. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer a 9mm handgun

95 24.87%
  • I prefer a .40 S&W handgun

177 46.34%
  • I prefer a different caliber

66 17.28%
  • Well, it depends.

44 11.52%
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: 9mm VS .40 S&W

1. "Well............preference is just that preference..................and is typically situational dependent.

perhaps for a phillips or flathead screwdriver. for protecting oneself i doubt there is any significant difference between 15 rounds of 40 and 17 rounds of 9mm.

did anyclaim that 10mm effects are bs?? isnt it just a 40 with more stuff propelling it a littel faster at higher cost and harder to find??

Quote Originally Posted by sthomper View Post
    "Well............preference is just that preference..................and is typically situational dependent.

perhaps for a phillips or flathead screwdriver. for protecting oneself i doubt there is any significant difference between 15 rounds of 40 and 17 rounds of 9mm.

did anyclaim that 10mm effects are bs?? isnt it just a 40 with more stuff propelling it a littel faster at higher cost and harder to find??
    Dont have ant ballistics info but a 10mm is quite a bit hotter than a 40, reasons I did not keep mine is the ammo was tougher to get, both in cost and avalability, and limited choices on differant types of ammo, and we like to shoot a lot and if I was going to spend that much on ammo I'd have a 50 AE or a S&W 500,
    Bad Guys of the world beware the next time you think about jumping on a old guy, because its a fair bet he's to old to fight and probably to fat to run, but can put one in your eye at 50ft with his weak hand

Quote Originally Posted by sthomper View Post
    "Well............preference is just that preference..................and is typically situational dependent.

Your right sthomper, 10 mm or as some call it 10 mm mag. Same caliber bullet same weight. Just longer shell and more powder in general. Much hotter load. It's not so much penetration as it is about size of wound cavity. Like a 38 caliber and a 357 mag, it's all about tissue and organ damage. If the bullet ruptures vital organs and blood vessels on the way into the body, the faster it will bleed out and stop the threat.

Of course this is just my opinion,
    your mileage may vary.
    Jerry
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

Blog Entries
    For me, it depends on the piece, not the ammo since a miss is a miss and doesn't do any good. If you're not comfortable with the feel of a gun, you won't do well. I do like an SR40 as much as the next guy, but I love the way the P99 becomes part of my hand. Just feels right. Unlike the Nano.

6. Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    For me, it depends on the piece, not the ammo since a miss is a miss and doesn't do any good. If you're not comfortable with the feel of a gun, you won't do well. I do like an SR40 as much as the next guy, but I love the way the P99 becomes part of my hand. Just feels right. Unlike the Nano.

ruger webpage says the sr9 and sr40 have identical dimensions

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112