9mm VS .40 S&W - Page 2

View Poll Results: What Do You Prefer? 9mm or .40 S&W?

Voters
382. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer a 9mm handgun

95 24.87%
  • I prefer a .40 S&W handgun

177 46.34%
  • I prefer a different caliber

66 17.28%
  • Well, it depends.

44 11.52%
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm VS .40 S&W

wolfhunter Guest
    I normally carry a .45, but if that is too bulky, I go with a 9.

Yes but i have to ask. What if they HAVE ON PHONE BOOK BODYARMOR?? What then lol j/k.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

wolfhunter Guest
    If they have ONE PHONE BOOK ARMOR, I'd use a 22LR, since it has been certified as a crackhead killer. lol

Lightbulb Variables.

A 9mm ball with fewer grns/punch/load is not IMHO a good BG stopper. Make it a HP or FMJ 9 and up the load/grns, now you have a stopper.
    Same principle for a .40, own both Cals, shot thousands thru both, but the .40 is for me too large in most models for E-Z complete concealed-carry, the 9mm with say CORBON HP's inside is a smaller SA XD-9 pistol making discreet stealthy CC a lethal breeze. Both cals proven out in pistols I own/was issued. The M-9 (9mm) Beretta, semi-good stopping power, wounds more than kills in use in Iraq and Afganistan now and also during GW-1/Balkans same results. 'Nam VC hit by .45's seldom got up 4 more! That was the idea and why M-9 is a defensive not offensive weapon Geneva Convention 'humane'/friendly, issued to non-combatants/medics. Jack-it up increase pistol size to the Beretta 96 FS .40 Cal and 1-2 well placed rounds is a knock down or kill. Same principle for most good semi-auto pistols. ronwill managed to say all that in <60 words. Just my 99-cents

Canis-Lupus
    Last edited by Canis-Lupus; 10-19-2008 at 07:44 PM.

I heard a quote one time by someone in the military. They were asked what they thought about the military switching to the 9mm round instead of the .45. The person who asked said it was stupid because the .45 was much more of a man stopper. The military person's response was "If I put two in your heart and one in your head...are you gonna know the difference?"

That's a discovery channel Doc they did on the US Navy Seals. The seal was talking about the weapons they use. He picked up the Sig226 and said it's 9mm. Then he said "people are going to say being 9mm will not do much" then he went on to say when he puts two in your heart and one in your head you will never be able to tell.

7. bigger bullets make bigger holes. its all about leakage the faster one leaks out the sooner he stops.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
    bigger bullets make bigger holes. its all about leakage the faster one leaks out the sooner he stops.
    Faster bullets make longer deeper holes.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by Canis-Lupus View Post
    A 9mm ball with fewer grns/punch/load is not IMHO a good BG stopper. Make it a HP or FMJ 9 and up the load/grns, now you have a stopper.
    Same principle for a .40, own both Cals, shot thousands thru both, but the .40 is for me too large in most models for E-Z complete concealed-carry, the 9mm with say CORBON HP's inside is a smaller SA XD-9 pistol making discreet stealthy CC a lethal breeze. Both cals proven out in pistols I own/was issued. The M-9 (9mm) Beretta, semi-good stopping power, wounds more than kills in use in Iraq and Afganistan now and also during GW-1/Balkans same results. 'Nam VC hit by .45's seldom got up 4 more! That was the idea and why M-9 is a defensive not offensive weapon Geneva Convention 'humane'/friendly, issued to non-combatants/medics. Jack-it up increase pistol size to the Beretta 96 FS .40 Cal and 1-2 well placed rounds is a knock down or kill. Same principle for most good semi-auto pistols. ronwill managed to say all that in <60 words. Just my 99-cents

Canis-Lupus
    So your saying if you go with a 9mm. Go with Hollow point rounds and go with 147g over 127g?
    Is that what you mean by this? That's what i take away from it so please step in if i read that wrong.

For my needs S&WM&P40,
    A smaller semi-auto pistol is (for me) easier to hide, faster to deploy from several carrying platforms (ankle holster to under arm-pit holsters), I like the CORBON 9mm+P JHP 115gr moving @ 1,350fps, it's fast. At point of impact it causes (some) tissue to be ejected, easilly passes thru a skull, bores a cone shaped canal 10-20mm in diameter thru a head shot fragmenting as it spirals and exits leaving a golf-ball sized hole, with much tissue ejection, that is where the most damage occurs, then it loses a lot of it's power and as a shooter that is good to minimize collateral. I've worked on maybe 15 patients with those types of 9mm HP head GSW's and none survived. Those shot in center of mass don't fare much better but some have lived if it misses heart/lungs. I practice for that shot at <20 meters tops, using [cheaper] Luger 9mm ball, but out & about I pack 9mm CORBON JHP's 10+1. I don't want to mess around with someone who is hell bent on ending my life. ER experience has taught me that using that legal type of ammo is a fast way to cool things down. I speak as someone who has never used that on a human, just treated the victims of that unique GSW, and hope to God I never have to, but taking a life is not something I want to be a messy shoot-out or one that gives an armed BG a chance/survivability to do the same to me or those I care for. Please pardon the medical take on the lethality of those rounds. Hope it came off with some level of medical/ballistic reporting. This link may dispel some myths, it is worth a recce. Going to pass on retorts, to each their own kit and ways of defending yourself. I bear witness that this round kills.
    Best9mm.com - 9mm Ammunition testing 9mm ammo ballistics bullet expansion penetration

Canis-Lupus
    Last edited by Canis-Lupus; 10-20-2008 at 12:25 AM.

Oh no problem LUPUS. I was more so asking for me so i would know what one would be better. I have read that you should always go with the max load you gun can take. So 147g over 125/115g what one would be better? I here you are saying 115 does some major D with JHP's?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast