9mm VS .40 S&W - Page 5

View Poll Results: What Do You Prefer? 9mm or .40 S&W?

Voters
382. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer a 9mm handgun

    95 24.87%
  • I prefer a .40 S&W handgun

    177 46.34%
  • I prefer a different caliber

    66 17.28%
  • Well, it depends.

    44 11.52%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 115

Thread: 9mm VS .40 S&W

  1. Quote Originally Posted by Glockster20 View Post
    Glock 27 loaded with Cor-Bon .40 S&W 135 GR. JHP 1325 FPS/526 FTLBS. No worries at all.
    Put that round in a Sig P229 and you have Accurate Stopper!
    That Cor Bon round is a hot one that is a documented stopper.

  2.   
  3. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,650
    Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    I subscribe to the Gabe Saurez school of thought that the higher capacity of most nines compared to a 40 or 45 trumps the bigger size of them.
    Higher capacity shouldn't matter if you're able to hit what you're shooting at. Anyway this surprises me coming from you, HK4U.

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    West Central Florida
    Posts
    1

    9mm XD Sub-Compact

    I like the 9mm. I use the Speer Gold Dot, 124 gr. JHP. That is for my everyday carry. For the range, 100 rounds of the Wal-Mart Winchester at 20 bucks. I put all the rounds through a 9mm pistol gage. You have to be careful with this ammo as I have found a few, but not too many, that where oversized and would have jammed.
    "We have met the enemy and it is us", Pogo Possum

  5. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by capo2186 View Post
    Honestly I say you are best off with what you feel more comfortable with. Yes the .40 is more of a man stopper, but if they are more comfortable with the 9mm then I say go with the 9mm. If they are a quicker shot with the 9mm because they are more comfortable with it, those extra seconds may save their life. Some of you say that it is better to have more of a man stopper, however I would much rather be shooting with something I know I am comfortable with. Some one on this site (can't remember who), has in their signature, "It is better to have well placed shots with a .22 than misses with a .44 magnum". I think this statement fits this question well.

    In my opinion, two well placed shots to the chest with a 9mm can do just as much damage and stop a threat as a .40

    I heard a quote one time by someone in the military. They were asked what they thought about the military switching to the 9mm round instead of the .45. The person who asked said it was stupid because the .45 was much more of a man stopper. The military person's response was "If I put two in your heart and one in your head...are you gonna know the difference?"

    If you are comfortable with the .40, go with the .40. All I am saying is go with what you are comfortable with.
    Capo i found that clip you are talking about. The part when he says that happens around 130.

    YouTube - navy seals - mp5 and pistol

    THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

  6. #45
    9mm for me because I'm a cheapskate at the range. The effectiveness vs. $ seems good enough with quality ammunition in a quality gun. I've shot a .40 a while ago and liked shooting 9 better.

    9mm holes in the BG are better than .40 holes in the walls around him :)
    Taurus PT92
    17+1 9mm

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Occupied State of Confusion
    Posts
    8
    I prefer the .45 over both the 9 and the 40 but if you forced me to pick between the two I prefer the 9mm.
    You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

  8. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,650
    What about the 10mm? I hear that it's basically a .45 on steroids, but that the recoil is also a beast on them.

  9. #48

    Cool I prefer 9mm

    First of all to be proficient marksman you need to practice. I practice at least once a month at the range with my XD9 (16 shot mag)...I tend to practice with either 2 or 3 shot burst.
    Unless you are independently wealthy you may go broke going the range with a .40 glock...A 9mm glock you can get a box of 100-9mm FMJ for $20-$25...
    ANd for the people that say they need the stopping power of a .40 to me is a bit of bull...I bet you will stop if you get caped by a 3 shot burst of a 9mm...if not I have 13 more in the mag.

  10. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Higher capacity shouldn't matter if you're able to hit what you're shooting at. Anyway this surprises me coming from you, HK4U.
    Don't know why it would suprise you? Anyway higher capacity matters a lot if you are dealing with multiply targets.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI & Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    What about the 10mm? I hear that it's basically a .45 on steroids, but that the recoil is also a beast on them.

    The 10mm is like a .40 s&w on steroids. Same bullet size, longer case.



    gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast