9mm VS .40 S&W - Page 7

View Poll Results: What Do You Prefer? 9mm or .40 S&W?

Voters
382. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer a 9mm handgun

95 24.87%
  • I prefer a .40 S&W handgun

177 46.34%
  • I prefer a different caliber

66 17.28%
  • Well, it depends.

44 11.52%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm VS .40 S&W

Quote Originally Posted by melloyello View Post
    Well after reading the comments and quite a few friends, CCW holders and LEOs,
    I decided to get a 40 and see what it will do..

Trying this first, 40 S&W SW40VE,
    S&W SW40VE .40SW Black/Stainless for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $349.00

Get a Glock 27 for deep CCW. I also have a Glock 23 for IDPA shoots and it's also my home protection gun. Love both and love the 40S&W. If you can find it, I get my ammo at Wal-Mart. Blazer Brass $12.27 for a box of 50.
    Frank
    Glock 27, Glock 23, Glock 22
    Mossberg 930SPX

shot placement is infinetly more important that caliber....
    the old saying: I'd rather hit with a .22 than miss with a .44

Travelin-man

9mm vs. 40 well well, whats the difference, I can't hit anything with either one! LOL. Lukem your a knowlegable guy, thanks. I carry a Baretta 9mm and feel comfortable with it, My neighbor is a deputy with a 40, we go to the range and trade off, I'm just not used to the 40 I guess, as far as the velocity, Lukem is right, higher in the 9mm wich can work against you by going thru the bad guy instead of taking him/her off there feet, I belive thats why law enforcement changed for the most part to 40 cal. anyway lets all hope we never have to use them!

Quote Originally Posted by barlitt8 View Post
    9mm vs. 40 well well, whats the difference, I can't hit anything with either one! LOL. Lukem your a knowlegable guy, thanks. I carry a Baretta 9mm and feel comfortable with it, My neighbor is a deputy with a 40, we go to the range and trade off, I'm just not used to the 40 I guess, as far as the velocity, Lukem is right, higher in the 9mm wich can work against you by going thru the bad guy instead of taking him/her off there feet, I belive thats why law enforcement changed for the most part to 40 cal. anyway lets all hope we never have to use them!
    You carry this guy around with you??

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

REading this i recall the words of Ron White concerning the bank hold up in LA,,,,,,,,shoot em in the head poot! Shoot em in the head !

I really doubt the perp is going to know the difference. Apples and oranges to me personal preference. There have been failures with both calibers and handguns are a compromise since we can't walk around with a rifle or shotgun.

8. i have read that most shootings are in the 10 foot range? others may be able to confirm or refute.

if true, with danger often so close, then ease of firing, fit in hand and technique probably the most important elements....i would think compactness and control would be of greatest importance and having several 9mm under greater control i think woulld be preferable to less control with a little more punch.

As long as you use the right ammo, not ball, .9mm will be effective (IMO), but I carry a 1911, or my USP .40. I always consider coming up against someone hopped up on something, and I want to transfer energy into them...230gr hollow points will put someone on their ass, dead or not. No one writes songs about getting shot 9 times with a .45.

Most people posting on here...people who do IDPA or 3-gun, people with trigger time, can give well placed shots under pressure (lets assume) but what about those who can't? They push and pull the gun as they fire and give 3 to the gut...now a .40 or .45 would be a better round to be putting down range. I want to put someone down, or have the best chance at it no matter where my rounds strike. IMO of course.

I've got and love both the 9mm and the .40 S&W. But... I prefer the .40 S&W!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewaynelson View Post
    My CCW is an H&K USP 40. I use the Winchester Silvertip 155 grain jacketed hollow point (X40SWSTHP). The 40 S&W round has an established and excellent track record on the street. I use the 135-155 grain JHP load because it kicks less and has higher kinetic energy and stopping power than the 180 gr. JHP loads.
    Blessed be my God, my mountain, who trains me to fight fair and well! Psalm 144 (msg)
    ...follow me at twitter.com/matthewaynelson

Quote Originally Posted by Frankt897 View Post
    As long as you use the right ammo, not ball, .9mm will be effective (IMO), but I carry a 1911, or my USP .40. I always consider coming up against someone hopped up on something, and I want to transfer energy into them...230gr hollow points will put someone on their ass, dead or not. No one writes songs about getting shot 9 times with a .45.

Most people posting on here...people who do IDPA or 3-gun, people with trigger time, can give well placed shots under pressure (lets assume) but what about those who can't? They push and pull the gun as they fire and give 3 to the gut...now a .40 or .45 would be a better round to be putting down range. I want to put someone down, or have the best chance at it no matter where my rounds strike. IMO of course.
    Thats me , I tend to push my shots a little low and left at the 25 foot mark, at first I thought it was the pistol, then I let other people shoot it and they did better then me, hmmmm ? I even bought a Ruger 22 / 45 to practice with just to gain some time shooting, I am getting better ! Bottom line, I carry 98% of the time and hope I never have to use my Beretta PX4 .40S&W

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast