.45acp vs 9mm - Page 2

View Poll Results: My carry caliber of choice is...

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • 45ACP

57 43.85%
  • 40S&W

29 22.31%
  • 9MM

34 26.15%
  • other

10 7.69%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: .45acp vs 9mm

Well let the new guy start out by jumping into this age old debate.

Nothing wrong with the 9mm as long as its loaded with a good expanding bullet. I have carried a 9mm in the past and was perfectly comfortable with it.
    However, my preference is for a 1911 in .45acp. I like the platform, I like the cartridge and I can shoot it well. And that's what it really boils down to. Caliber is secondary, what really matters is can you shoot what you carry? Go with what you're comfortable and confident with.
    Besides, the .45 fits into one of my basic principals of self defense...........
    Bigger holes are better!

Well, I'm and old fart with a bit of Arthritis going on in the hands. Gave the grandson my 1911 for his vacation over in Iraq, and bought a Glock 17. The 9mm is much easier on these old hands...and 17 rounds will get the job done.
    RP

4. Ah yes.

Well I echo most people's sentiment to go with what you shoot well.

However, I am totally biased for the .45 ACP.

Some simple ballistics:

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9...listicsss3.jpg from: Beginner’s Guide to Concealed Carry Loneranger’s Weblog

Various 9x19mm JHPs
    Various .45ACP JHPs (test 1)

Then there's a whole other issue. . . Frangible rounds. .

Look at this one:
    http://www.sinterfire.com/images/ballisticgel.jpg -- not sure of the caliber of this one, but regardless it should make my point. .

And then there's always these:
    http://www.extremeshockusa.com/cgist...o.html&setup=1

Of course, neither compares to say a .308. . .
    http://www.barnesbullets.com/resourc...rnes-bullet-n/ (scroll down to the gelatin pictures)

And, here's a tour of the world of shotguns. . . you can see why these are good for home defense. .
    http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=109958

And, you can check out the Varmint Grenade. .

<back to topic>

So, you might think about a 9mm in frangibles if you want to make a big problem for a bad guy.

I'm a little person, but I have no problems with my USP-c .45. I like the recoil on it -- which is really smooth. The .45 is a slowish round, and that's a noticeable difference in feel to me.

I can't carry as many bullets as easily; however. . .there's usually a trade off with these sorts of things. . .
    Last edited by BoomChick; 10-24-2008 at 02:03 PM.

5. .45ACP vs 9mm

Greetings to BoomChick, Canis, Glockster and others. When I went to work for the Sheriff's Department in Arizona, we could carry any .38 spl/.357 mag revolver approved by the department armorer. we were limited to .38 spl ammunition in these guns. Finally, the department approved for deputies to carry any weapon they could qualify with and had been checked by the armorer. I went with a Smith & Wesson 4506. I had been shooting in combat competition for several years, using 1911 pistols, which the vast majority of the shooters used. I have heard people denigrate the 1911A1 in .45AP, citing problems with recoil, muzzle flip, perceived recoil, too much noise, etc. We had several women, some rather petite who competed with a 1911, and one 12-year old whose parents were well-known fast draw artists. This boy and these women had no problem with a full-house .45, showing the people who feel the 1911 has too much recoil are dead wrong. The department issued all of our ammo, and our only complaint was that if you carried a revolver,a gun anyone can fire, our holsters were basically leather bags. Auto shooters were required to carry a holster that required a rather complicated series of move to draw, to maximize weapon retention. Finally, shortly after I left, the department went to the Beretta for everyone. Cute move, Big heavy gun, tiny little buillet. My Lieutenant used to go through a little routine about why we preferred the .45 to the 9mm. You can put a 9mm round in a .45 magazine, you can load the weapon from the magazine. but as soon as you lower the pistol so it points at the ground, the 9mm round falls out of the 1911 pistol. Very funny routine. I am awaiting the completion of my 90 day residency in the state of Washington, and have picked out a very nice Springfield Armory XD45. It is not muctyposh bigger than the Firestar M-45 I carry now, but is much lighter, being a polymer unit. It holds 13 + 1 rounds of the .45 ammo ( I have selected Golden Saber.) and there is no external safety to remember to wipe off or to get caught on clothing. I used to get in arguments all the time with one of our seregeants, who was a rabid 9mm fan. His argument was always that 9mm had killed a lot of people. My comeback was that was true, if you counted the German MP-40 and the H&K MP5 I am not a large man, and could npt be like the San Diego Detective I met who carries a Desert Eagle in AE .50 calibre. The XD is a weapon I can carry concealed while still giving me the fightstopping power I want. It is a simple matter of trust.
    Last edited by wuzfuz; 10-24-2008 at 02:04 PM. Reason: typos
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

9mm. I choose more rounds, easier to control and will penatrate better.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

I voted .40SW because I carry my full size baby eagle .40 most often. I have all 3, 9mm, .40 and .45 and I carry them all depending on the circumstances. I like the .45 because of its size and weight. I like the 9mm because of the higher magazine capacity. I really like the .40 because it is a good medium between the other 2.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by faintfuzzy View Post
    Well, I'm and old fart with a bit of Arthritis going on in the hands. Gave the grandson my 1911 for his vacation over in Iraq, and bought a Glock 17. The 9mm is much easier on these old hands...and 17 rounds will get the job done.
    RP
    let me be the first to welcome you to usa carry. enjoy the site!
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Exclamation Passed down from from generation to generation

Quote Originally Posted by faintfuzzy View Post
    RP
    I am glad to see you still making good use of a great heirloom. It will have a great history behind it and be cherished by future generations. You are a great American! Thank you for your gift to your grandson and for his service. I'm guessing you served as well and thanks! Anyone else would not understand the reasoning behind such a gift.

Welcome to USA Carry!!!
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

I have carried a G-21 .45 and loved it. With that said I Love carrying my 1911 in .45. I will also at times carry my G-17 9mm. Both calibers have there place and purpose.
    You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

My main choice is 40S&W. I am having trouble getting my 1911 to fire hollow points. My glock 23 has a higher round capacity also.
    Andrew

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast