.45acp vs 9mm - Page 4

View Poll Results: My carry caliber of choice is...

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • 45ACP

57 43.85%
  • 40S&W

29 22.31%
  • 9MM

34 26.15%
  • other

10 7.69%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: .45acp vs 9mm

Has anyone on here ever carried any caliber bigger than a .45, like the .454 Casull, .454 Alaskan, .460, .50AE, or S&W .500 magnum?
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

I think they are both excellent calibers.....lot of history, testing, and experimentation with loads in both of them. They will both do the job for self defense when needed.
    "Never advance cheerfully on your late opponent without reloading. You may have used your last round, and he may not be properly dead and still spiteful." Major Hugh Pollard

I carry a P220. Love It. I carry a 10 round back up mag, with 8 round in the Sig.

5. Im sure its been said....

Carry what you shoot well. Carry the gun that fits you...
    Kel Tec Freak & 2A Activist
    Grass Roots Gun Rights SC

Talking The image just made me laugh....

Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    my Colt 45mm
    I'm sorry to pick on a typo (Lord knows I've had more than my share), but I just couldn't help but see the image of the Fun lady, cane in one hand because of her "boo boo" foot, 45mm Colt grenade launcher in the other, intimidating the heck out of some BG at the quilt show!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

7. Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Has anyone on here ever carried any caliber bigger than a .45, like the .454 Casull, .454 Alaskan, .460, .50AE, or S&W .500 magnum?
    When I lived in NH I OC'ed a 44 Mag Desert Eagle on a tactical thigh holster. I did not have a CC permit so open carry was my only option. I held a S&W 500 Magnum the other day. It is the finite definition of a hand cannon. Not much use for concealed carry but very cool with a mini tripod and pistol scope attached. I want one real bad.

8. Quote Originally Posted by KimberPB View Post
    Main reason I went with a .45 for a carry gun was cause I found a great deal on a Kimber Ultra Carry II. Originally I was going to go with a XD9 but found a guy at the sheriff’s office selling his slightly used Kimber for $450. Couldn't pass that up. Then with a little practice can shoot it just as well as a 9mm.

I like the extra weight and diameter of the .45 but I think the .40 and 9mm are also affective defensive rounds. I feel whatever you can shoot the best with should be what you carry. Scoring 3 hits with a 9mm is better the scoring 3 missing with a .45.
    "little practice can shoot it just as well as a 9mm."

I carry the glock 19c.........9 mil.

reason why> Carried the 1911 45 socom in the marines for 12 years.

yes it has more knock down. yes it is more powerful.

However i am in to competetion shooting now and there is no way a guy ( up above) can shoot as fast and as acurate with a 45 against a 9 mil. no way!
    Last edited by gunther37; 03-12-2009 at 04:56 PM. Reason: spelling

9. neither is superior

velocity vs weight......it is all a matter of personal preference. i think everyone should be worried about shot placement

Why do I carry a .45?.... Because they don't make a .46!! LoL's If you ever get the chance to handle and fire a Kimber Ultra Carry II..... DO IT!!!! It will be your next carry gun for sure!!! J.T.
    Action Is Always Faster Than Reaction!!!

I carry a .45 because of the stopping power. If I have to pull it on a juiced up drug addict ransacking my house, I know he's gonna go down.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast