.45acp vs 9mm

View Poll Results: My carry caliber of choice is...

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • 45ACP

57 43.85%
  • 40S&W

29 22.31%
  • 9MM

34 26.15%
  • other

10 7.69%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .45acp vs 9mm

Exclamation .45acp vs 9mm

The military uses both calibers...Which is preferred as a carry round???

And Why???
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Main reason I went with a .45 for a carry gun was cause I found a great deal on a Kimber Ultra Carry II. Originally I was going to go with a XD9 but found a guy at the sheriff’s office selling his slightly used Kimber for $450. Couldn't pass that up. Then with a little practice can shoot it just as well as a 9mm.

I like the extra weight and diameter of the .45 but I think the .40 and 9mm are also affective defensive rounds. I feel whatever you can shoot the best with should be what you carry. Scoring 3 hits with a 9mm is better the scoring 3 missing with a .45.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

I voted for the 9 only because I carry the 9 more often. If I'd have my druthers, I'd vote for both the 9 and the 45 because I'm familiar with both. I'm sure that what others prefer is probably different than what I prefer, especially if you consider that most men have larger hands and/or more upper body strength than I have, being a medium-sized woman. My Beretta 9mm is slightly smaller than my Colt 45mm and it weighs slightly less, though I believe the stopping power of both to be similar. Also, I really don't mind the weight of either when I consider the alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Canis-Lupus View Post
    Hi Festus,
    I am not sure if this statement is completely accurate today:
    "The military uses both calibers." The M1911A1 (.45) I carried until 1990 was a great stopper, but lacked the mag capacity so we ended up with the Beretta M9, a 9mm, it became the standard side-arm/pistol for most branches of service by around 1992, granted Army Deltas & SF, Navy SEALS, some Marine Force-Recon and other 'super-troops' reverted back to the 1911-series [silenced or extended mag varieties] and still use 'em. It's like I said in a long post about the M9 it's not a bad gun, carries a larger ammo load but using ball thru it is kinda like shooting solid wood 155 howitzer rounds, they do not do the damage a JHP would do, but 9mm HP's and 'rigged/poisoned with mercury tips ammo' is not common doctrine, illegal per the good old Geneva Convention, and if used Joe-Public never finds out about it! I don't know of any common military use for a .45 round now nor a weapon that shoots that caliber (except the M1911A1) in standard service unless you are one of those special types who do the black-ops & carry whatever they want.

Canis-Lupus
    Just wanted to point out that the sidearms issued to MCSOCOM are Kimber 1911A1s. Also, it should be noted that all the recent US Military pistol trials have been for a larger capacity handgun (more than the 7 or 8 rounds of the 1911A1) that is chambered in .45ACP.
    "The Detonics CombatMaster .45 is a premium quality professional tool for the serious handgun expert and combat shooter. It is capable of providing the brute force stopping power of the standard-sized .45 in a size no larger than a snub-nosed .38." Colonel Jeff Cooper

"We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then, is not an act but a habit." Aristotle
    NV Tactical: Northern Virginia's #1 Source for Professional, Tactical Firearms Training

Each firearm and caliber has a tactical need. Our primary tactical need within the context of this forum is to carry the largest firearm that the CCW holder can effectively handle and conceal.

I carry both depending on the circumstances.

Warmer months; S&W 908 or one of my 3913s
    Cooler months; S&W CS45 or 4516-1 or my Para-Ord P-12.45.

I also have a matching pair of S&W CS40s. If Im

During the hot summer months, I carry a single stack 9mm or .40 S&W. When you're wearing light clothing you want to carry a lighter firearm.

Warmer months I'll carry something with higher capacity 10+ rounds in .40 S&W, 10mm or .45 ACP.

We also have some revolver affectionados. 9mm vs. 45 ACP boils down to the .38/.357 vs. .44 debate. I haven't see a thread on it but I am sure one exists on some pro-CCW forum.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Exclamation Pistols carried by the US Forces as I know them

1911a1 meu/mcssocom
    mk23 ussocom
    m-9 all forces general usage
    p-226 us navy seals
    p-226 usaf osi
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Nasty Little round

I prefer my HK USP Compact in .357 SIG. I have a XD-9 and a 1911A1 and love them both, but there's something about the .357 SIG w/ a 115 COR-BON or a 125 GOLD DOT that brings out the best in this little 1 hit wonder. When I'm not carrying it I carry a MOD 66, 7 shot, .357 MAG.
    Jim
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power."
    Yoshimi Ishikawa

well fellas, i personally like my springfield 1911-a1-45. it is my cary gun 24-7, never leave home without it.
    " GRIZ "
    CCW
    NRA LIFE
    GOA
    Katie Couric, while interviewing a Marine sniper, asked:

'What do you feel when you shoot a Terrorist?'

The Marine shrugged and replied,

'A slight recoil.'

Danny P. (Dan) Creed

I only picked .40 S&W because I don't own anything chambered in .45 ACP or .45 GAP (although .45 Long Colt is also a good cartridge). If I did, those would be my primary carry weapons.

wolfhunter Guest
    .45ACP until I can get the .50GI. 10+1 in my Warthawg

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast