Ammo Brands - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ammo Brands

1. Ya know, I don't really like UMC. The box I tried from WallyWorld was full of overpressed rounds meaning the case rim stuck out further than it should. You could run your finger from tip to rim and it would literally hangup on the brass. It fired perfectly, but felt like it lacked the power (feel/volume) of the Winchester Target stuff. Wally is where I buy my target ammo
    Springfield XD-45 4" | Springfield XD-9 4" | Rom WASR AK | Mosin Nagant 91/30 | Mossberg 535 12 | Marlin 10-22 | Kel-Tec P3-AT

3. I don't reload, I heard that WalMart has lowest price in Michigan for ammo. I found the same price at Dicks Sporting Goods when on sale and if 500rds purchased. I keep my eye open but just go to walmart and pick up 600 or 1000rds when driving by....

All pricing for .45acp

Wallmart price for Winchester FMJ 100rd valuepak $29.88, say $30/100 or $150/500
    Walmart Remiington UMC FMJ price is about $85/250 or $170/500

WalMart price for Winchester 50rd JHP is $28 or $56/100
    WalMart price for Remington UMC 100rd JHP - $38.00 $38/100

Now, someone told me to buy premium JHP for personal protection, paying a lot (maybe 40$) for a 20rd box. I wondered why? Was told because it may sit for yrs in the mag. Comments? I figured I would buy the less expensive stuff, and cycle it at the range. Is this stupid? or is there real value to gucci hollow point ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by joesmo View Post
    I don't reload, I heard that WalMart has lowest price in Michigan for ammo. I found the same price at Dicks Sporting Goods when on sale and if 500rds purchased. I keep my eye open but just go to walmart and pick up 600 or 1000rds when driving by....

All pricing for .45acp

Wallmart price for Winchester FMJ 100rd valuepak $29.88, say $30/100 or $150/500
    Walmart Remiington UMC FMJ price is about $85/250 or $170/500

WalMart price for Winchester 50rd JHP is $28 or $56/100
    WalMart price for Remington UMC 100rd JHP - $38.00 $38/100

Now, someone told me to buy premium JHP for personal protection, paying a lot (maybe 40$) for a 20rd box. I wondered why? Was told because it may sit for yrs in the mag. Comments? I figured I would buy the less expensive stuff, and cycle it at the range. Is this stupid? or is there real value to gucci hollow point ammo.
    Great information! Thank you! I hopefully will be able to go out this weekend and pick up 500 rounds. I want to stock pile as much as I can.
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

From what I understand, and someone please correct this if it's wrong, a hollow point bullet for home defense is better than anything else that is shot from a pistol for the simple fact that when it breaks up or falls apart inside the perp then that bullet is less than likely to "shoot through" and hit a family member. It's kind of the opposite theory of using a shotgun for home defense/self protection whereby the scatter hits anything and everything in the general direction where it's aimed.

As far as buying any type of ammo for any type of firearm, it's dependent on both the ammo and the firearm. Certain manufacturers and certain jacket types jam my .45, others jam in the 3ought6, most makes of bullets "know better" than to try and jam the AR15, and nothing at all seems to jam my 9mm.

Buy some, try some, get what works for what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by capo2186 View Post
    Hey guys,

What brand of ammo do you guys use? Do you feel one is better than the other? I have been using Winchester ammo and federal ammo and was thinking about purchasing UMC ammo for my .45. I saw 250 rounds of UMC 45 for sale at Wal-Mart for $84. I think I might have to buy this. Any thoughts? Just looking for some suggestions. If this was in another post I apologize. Thanks guy!

Thanks,
    Capo
    I've fired some of that UMC ammo you are talking about it is is superb in the quality and accuracy department!
    Springfield Loaded Custom Champion
    RIA 1911A1 Duo-Tone Tactical
    XD40 Sub-Compact
    Ruger 22/45
    Browning Baby 6.35mm
    Ruger K10/22
    Marlin 336w 30-30
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Life, Liberty & The Pursuit Of Those Against It

Off topic

This is off topic, but please go to the Box o' truth The Box O' Truth to find out about penetration.
    According to the tests there the shotgun with 00buck penetrated less in sheetrock than any handgun.

I buy usually whatever is cheapest with brass casings.. used to buy a lot of winchester white box ammo from wal mart, but a few months ago saw that they carried blazer brass by CCI that ends up being cheaper than the white box ammo and it shoots great. I get my target rounds almost always at walmart cause I haven't found anywhere else that is cheaper... not even online. might just be the calibers I need though. for .22's I get the bulk pack of 550 rounds from remington.. my ruger 10/22 seems to like that better than the federal bulk pack or winchester.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12