Personal Protection Ammo- Help - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Personal Protection Ammo- Help

You are correct gdcleanfun. JHP ammo will mushroom so the energy will dissipate when it hits flesh, bone or a wall. Ball/FMJ ammo will penetrate and sometimes continue through the target. So in general it's safer to use JHP's!
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    I've seen good scientific tests on the Glaser and questionable scientific tests on it. Overall they seem to come out pretty good. It's really just a matter of what you believe after reading as many of the studies as you can. I am comfortable with the Glasers. But I did some research when discussing this on another forum and Mag-Safe's look good even better than Glasers for penetration. I'm happy with the 9" to 12" penetration that I've seen in tests for Glasers.

I have bought them for $6 to $10 for 6 at gun shows. I found 9mm and .380 for 11.97 for 6 a couple of days ago and $14.97 for .45's. I'm going to a gun show this weekend in Ventura, so I wanted to see what the going prices were.

The "scientific" tests mean very little to me. What I do believe is what I see with my own two eyes. I can care less how the ammo performed in a lab. What I do care about is the practical application. If my rounds can cause that kind of damage to a phone book, water jug, orange, apple, etc., then I'm sure they'll do the same when hitting a BG. I strongly recommend that you get some "hands on" experience with your Glaser ammunition. Shoot at a bunch of different stuff to see how it performs. We've gone so far as to shoot at drywall (stuff that makes up the walls and celing of some of our houses), T&G lumber (stuff that makes up the walls of other folks houses), CMU blocks and even tried shooting at ceramic tile flooring. The experience was very educational.

As for buying personal protection ammo at a gun show, let the buyer beware. I've seen cases where folks have sold "factory seconds" at gun shows. These "seconds" might look and feel like the premium stuff, but have some type of internal flaw that makes them safe for practice, but not for "duty" or "personal protection". Be very careful where you purchase your defensive ammo. If the dealer selling you the stuff is shady, they may sell you something that is less than desireable for defensive purposes. Most reputable dealers will CLEARLY mark the ammo as being "for practice only" or "factory seconds", etc. The Glaser ammo we shot was special ordered through our local gun shop.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

a hollow point bullet for home defense is better than anything else in a pistol for the simple fact that when it breaks up or falls apart inside the perp then that bullet is less than likely to "shoot through" and hit a family member
    It depends a lot on the particular hollow point. I use Glasers for that very reason. Both will penetrate two layers of wall board but I believe the Glasers will be breaking apart at that point.

It's kind of the opposite theory of using a shotgun for home defense self protection whereby the scatter hits anything and everything in the general direction it's aimed.
    Actually a shotgun with smaller than buckshot (I've seen #4 shot recomended) is an excellent home defense weapon. But don't count on the "scatter" being more than about 6 or 7 inches (likely less) in the 15 ft or less that you would be firing in a home defense scenario.
    What shotgun loads are best (and worst) suited to home defence? - Yahoo!7 Answers

If you are worried about over penetrating then try Frangible ammo. It's designed to penetrate flesh and turn to powder if it hits a hard surface. Here is some info on them. Frangible Bullets
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    If you are worried about over penetrating then try Frangible ammo. It's designed to penetrate flesh and turn to powder if it hits a hard surface. Here is some info on them. Frangible Bullets

On a side note, check your local laws. Here in PRHI, "frangible" and "Glaser" ammuntion are two examples of something that would be illegal for your average citizen to purchase. PRHI has a messed up law that prohibits "fragmenting" type ammunition.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

If it's legal in your area here are some impressive Gel test with Frangible ammo. AccuTec USA Frangible Bullet & Frangible Ammunition Technology

I have to show my ignorance. Where is PRHI?

I thought Kalifornia had the worst gun and ammo laws but they don't outlaw frangible bullets. They do outlaw shooting shotgun shells in a handgun (410 in a .45 Colt as you can in a few guns) but not frangibles.

New York I believe used to outlaw hollow points but I think that may have changed.

Shows the stupidity of politicians about guns and ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    I have to show my ignorance. Where is PRHI?

I thought Kalifornia had the worst gun and ammo laws but they don't outlaw frangible bullets. They do outlaw shooting shotgun shells in a handgun (410 in a .45 Colt as you can in a few guns) but not frangibles.

New York I believe used to outlaw hollow points but I think that may have changed.

Shows the stupidity of politicians about guns and ammo.

PRHI = People's Republic of Hawaii. PRCA = People's Republic of California

We're allowed to have firearms like the Taurus Judge (.410 ga/.45LC). The "fragmenting ammo" is very grey. If I had a box of fragible ammo and it was taken from the original box and put into relaod containers, who would know the difference? Most LE don't realize that there's a law that restricts fragmenting ammo to military and LE use.

Had a LE buddy order the Glaser ammo we tested. He didn't realize what the big deal was about the ammo. Once we had the results in front of us, he kind of chuckled and made a comment on how stupid the law was. The HP ammo was A LOT more damaging.

gf

We who live in your PRCA like to call it affectionately Kalifornia.

I used to call it "Kommiefornia" or "Kahleefohneeah", but for simplicity purposes and to be uniform with my posts, began using the PRCA term. This goes along great with:

PRHI
    PRMA
    PRIL
    PRNY

gf

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast