Equipment questions - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Equipment questions

1. I took the leap yesterday! I bought the Load Master along with some other accessories from Midway (they had the 9mm kit for $215) and got powder and primers from powder valley. I just need to get a brass washer/medium and a stand and I think I should be ready to go! Thanks again for the help in the decisoin. I'm sure I'll have many more questions as time goes on about this new hobby.

Missed this thread.

I have used only RCBS. I have an original Rock Chucker I still use. The reason I choose the Rock Chucker is that it's upgradable to a progressive with a Piggyback conversion kit. The only thing I don't like about the original Rock Chucker is that it will only handle rounds up to .223 Remington in length; basically any round that can fed through a magazine any standard AR-15 lower. The second generation Rock Chucker can handle longer cartridges. Fortunately the longest caliber firearm I own is 5.45x39mm.

If I was going into reloading and wanted a strictly progressive press, I would either go with Dillon or a Hornady Lock-N-Load AP.

As for dies, if I am not mistaken, the are all interchangeable and use the same thread so they are interchangeable between die makers. I have yet to hear of a press that cannot handle multiple calibers. However, you may have an issue with some equipment handling longer rifle calibers such as .308 Winchester/7.62 NATO.

Reloading requires patience and diligence.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Here is the tumbler I have used for the past 2 years or so. Good price and works great.

Cabela's Case Tumbler

Also, to save some money go to pet store and they will have crushed walnut for bird cages. You can by a hugh bag for about the price of a couple pounds of reloading media. The walnet works great for cleaning the brass. It won't put a really shinny polish like the polish treated corn cob does but clean brass is all you really need.

Enjoy your new hobbie! Now get to the range and start whoring that brass!! lol
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by netentity View Post
    Missed this thread.

I have used only RCBS. I have an original Rock Chucker I still use. The reason I choose the Rock Chucker is that it's upgradable to a progressive with a Piggyback conversion kit. The only thing I don't like about the original Rock Chucker is that it will only handle rounds up to .223 Remington in length; basically any round that can fed through a magazine any standard AR-15 lower. The second generation Rock Chucker can handle longer cartridges. Fortunately the longest caliber firearm I own is 5.45x39mm.

If I was going into reloading and wanted a strictly progressive press, I would either go with Dillon or a Hornady Lock-N-Load AP.

As for dies, if I am not mistaken, the are all interchangeable and use the same thread so they are interchangeable between die makers. I have yet to hear of a press that cannot handle multiple calibers. However, you may have an issue with some equipment handling longer rifle calibers such as .308 Winchester/7.62 NATO.

Reloading requires patience and diligence.
    First congratulations magicman007 on making the leap! Many fun hours are in your future...

netentity I was like you years ago and only bought RCBS. After getting back into reloading I started buying Lee products. I've found that Lee has left RCBS behind on their Dies and are a lot cheaper in price. Their presses still don't compare to RCBS but the will get the job done and a lesser price.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    First congratulations magicman007 on making the leap! Many fun hours are in your future...

netentity I was like you years ago and only bought RCBS. After getting back into reloading I started buying Lee products. I've found that Lee has left RCBS behind on their Dies and are a lot cheaper in price. Their presses still don't compare to RCBS but the will get the job done and a lesser price.
    I chose the RCBS as I wanted something upgradeable to a progressive.

I have looked at Lee's website and they do have some good products and some innovations unique to their presses with case and bullet feeding.

I have only two issues with Lee Precision products.
    • Warranty; they warranty everything for two years, Dillion, Hornady and RCBS warranty everything for life.
      If you use a press, chances are you'll have a warranty issue during the few months of having it as they are well constructed. Your press will out live you and whomever it is willed to in your estate. Lee is no exception to that. However, I do feel they should complete with the de facto industry standard lifetime warranty.

• Die caliber availability.
      Usually RCBS comes out dies in a new caliber first. RCBS has 5.45x39mm rifle dies which is the caliber of my S&W M&P15R. Dlllon, Hornady and Lee do not. While we don't have a source of brass cased 5.45x39mm or an inexpensive source of brass yet, I suspect that will happen within twelve months of SAAMI producing a standard for caliber and the ammo makers tooling for that caliber. I believe the same process occurred which brought about USA made 7.62x39mm ammunition and brass.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12