Did my first reloads today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did my first reloads today

1. Thumbs up Did my first reloads today

After whating for all of the backorders from Cabalas to come in I got a chance to do my first reloads today. My 45c and 40c dies have not gotten here yet but I did get my 9mm dies so after the range today I came home and set up for the 9mm. Well after some adjusting I got my first 50 rounds done, and if I do say so myself I think they look pretty good. I will let you all know how they work after I get to the rang and try them out.
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
    is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist '.

Nice setup! One thing on about the Lee press , double check the primers. I've found on mine that it tends not to seat the primers all the way. High primers can cause all kinds of feeding and firing problems. You can see if they are seated properly. One way is to see if they rock or set flush on a flat surface or place a straight edge across the primer to see if it's flush or below the primer pocket.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

4. Ya I was looking at that and it seems to be setting good in the 9mm. But I will keep an eye on it.
    Thanks

Congratulations RB. The LCT is a nice setup ain't it? As for the primer seating, for me that was a "feel" thing. After loading for a short while, I could tell if I pressed on the arm enough to seat the primers all the way. That will come to you. One word of advice: If you can find something to elevate your Lee Scale, it is very easy to read and work with when it is at your eye level.
    A couple pix to show you what I mean:

I drilled and set some little dowels on the sides and back so the scale will stay right where I want it.

I've seen others that have built a box to set their scale on and have storage underneath it. Whatever might work for you...
    I know a man by the name of Mel;
    he can't see but he sure do smell.

6. Thumbs up

I was thinking of that. I will put up some shelving later and some pegboard as well. Itís a work in progress. As I can see I will need more room. I am going to mount a shotgun reloader too. I have had it for a lot of years but have gotten a way from it. On the up side I got out today and shoot my first 50 rounds of reloads. 9mm 125 gr. lead RN with 4.1 g of powder Accurate #2. They worked with out a flaw in my M&P. I am a happy camper.
    And thanks for all of the advice guys it sure helps out.

RB, are you still sporting a big smile after that first successful round headed down range? Quite a satisfying feeling isn't it? I'm grinning just thinking about it. Good luck to you. I'm sure we'll hear more about your adventures.
    I know a man by the name of Mel;
    he can't see but he sure do smell.

Welcome to the world of reloading! Its very satisfing blowing the center out of a target with rounds you loaded.

Only part that sucks...... Son won't be getting any more free brass.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Nice setup! One thing on about the Lee press , double check the primers. I've found on mine that it tends not to seat the primers all the way. High primers can cause all kinds of feeding and firing problems. You can see if they are seated properly. One way is to see if they rock or set flush on a flat surface or place a straight edge across the primer to see if it's flush or below the primer pocket.

Red Hat is right. Do yourself a favor and buy a Lee Hand primer tool and the shell holders for the ammo you reload. Then if you have a high primer, it can be easily seated on in. As long as you don't slam the tool or have a piece of sharp debris on the punch surface you won't set off the primer. I have a Lee Loadmaster progressive that occasionally leaves a high one. A hand primer tool works great and is very inexpensive.

Good Luck!!!

10. that is right but on the up side you will not have to stay up till 3am loading 223 any more.

11. I have a question, I have been loading 45acp 230grn JRN with 100% success setting my COL at 1.275. Now I am trying JSWC 230grn and I am having feed problems. I have readjusted my COL to 1.24 which seems to help however I am not quite satisfied. Any suggestions ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast