Self Defence round for 45 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Self Defence round for 45

I just read an article in Combat handguns mag. by Chuck Taylor, about the best loads for a Kimber Ultra Carry which has a similar barrel length as your Glock. He likes the corbon160gr. DPX the best for shooting to point of aim and expansion. But he did say that most 230gr. rounds shot well. One point he made was that in smaller weapons he did not recommend any +P ammo as it would be too hard to control in a shoot fast type situation, and with the short barrel length you won't get the extra velocity any way. Good luck with your Glock, I've had several and currently have a G19 and they've been great guns for me.

I have fired +P rounds from my G30 with no issues regarding controllability. Now I will admit though, that you will see grains of unburnt powder in the barrel after shooting those as it would seem that the 3" barrel is not long enough for a complete burn.

Quote Originally Posted by alelks View Post
    Have you checked out the Federal HST?

AL
    Have you tried to find any HST? Impossible. If I could I would get the bonded HST.

5. I reload and use 230 grain jacketed, I am loading with 6 grains of powder and I am happy with the performance and accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone55 View Post
    ...One point he made was that in smaller weapons he did not recommend any +P ammo as it would be too hard to control in a shoot fast type situation, and with the short barrel length you won't get the extra velocity any way. Good luck with your Glock, I've had several and currently have a G19 and they've been great guns for me.
    personally i would not say that... i happen to have a glock 30SF and i have either Remington Golden Sabers in 185 grain or Cor-Bon 185 +P ammo in my mags, +P ammo doesn't seem to be any different to me except a louder report and a tad more of a push in the recoil... i find my glock loves to feed and put rounds down range very accurately... my S&W 1911 gets the same treatment...

i would suggest to buy as many different kinds you can (in different weights of bullets and regular, +P or +P+ if your gun can handle them), shoot all the rounds and see if you can find one that reliable feeds, extracts, is accurate, and you can handle the round (keep it on target after a round fired, doesn't hurt to shoot, etc.)...
    Glock 19 | S&W 1911PD
    Rock River Arms Elite LAR-15

7. Congrats on the 30sf. that is what I carry in my Kramer or CrossBreed IWB.

I have buy relatively low cost JHP ammo in it right now. I don't spend alot on ammo, so i think this is either plain jane winchester of remington. I cycle thru the mag every time I go to the range, and it fires good and straight. Maybe if I was going to load the ammo and let it sit for a year or 2 i'd be fussier. I reload target ammo, but don't feel comfortable yet reloading defense ammo.

I heard people debate this before...misfires, accuracy. I can tell you the box of remingtons I bought for $49/100 have never misfired and have a pretty tight pattern (I am not taking about competition shooting here), and I am half way thru that box. Also half way thru a box of cheaper Winchester JHPs, with absolutely no problems.

I have also wondered if hollow point is really essential with a 45. Just look at the size of that bullet? how many hits with a FMJ do you think YOU can take? with that said, I still carry JHPs

(of course these ammo costs were pre-Obama)

If they feed; someone will bleed...

Never had one malfunction with Remington Golden Sabers or Federal Hydra-Shoks...
    "When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."

I prefer something in 200gr. It's fast, and like all 45's lots of knock down power. Don't worry about 25yd balistics and all of that stuff. You are worried about 20 feet or less. At that range you should be able to shoot instintively, but effectively. With the 45, just about any load will knock someone down on the first shot. HP's will do the job.

+1 Federal P45HS1 Hyrda Shok 45 Auto 230gr JHP..

I also use Hornady TAP 200gr +P .45 in the full size M&P...

I like the Hornady Critical Defense ammo performance. I have those in .40S&W and .357 Mag..

For the short barrel in the Colt Officer's it's Remington 185gr Golden Sabers. Less weight to throw. Recoil is not as harsh...

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by joesmo View Post

I have also wondered if hollow point is really essential with a 45. Just look at the size of that bullet? how many hits with a FMJ do you think YOU can take? with that said, I still carry JHPs
    I don't carry a .45, I carry a 9mm (we can argue about that later) BUT I would NEVER carry FMJ's if I was carrying, ESPECIALLY in a .45.. Not that I don't think the FMJ would get the job done, but more worrying about the two bystanders behind the BG.. Go with JHP's PLEASE.. You want all the energy absorbed by the bad guy and not by anyone that might be standing behind them or on the other side of the sheetrock wall backstop...

I have Winchester "Ranger" Law enforcements in several calibers (+P in .45)
    I also have Hornady's for the 9mm.

You may want to look at this site on info on several different types of Ammo results from testing.. It may NOT have some of the ones list, but it's worth a look..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast