Self Defence round for 45
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Self Defence round for 45

Self Defence round for 45

I just bought a Glock 30sf and was looking for info on the best self defence round for this gun. Would you use 230 grain or something a little smaller

Personally I still have a few black talons left over before they got all the bad press. Now I have PMC Starfires (Starfire PMC Ammo's Gold Line Ammunition | PMC Ammunition: Precision Made Cartridges) and I think I have some Winchester SuperX. I have heard if you go to a gun show you can sometimes find and pick up the Winchester Ranger SXT (formerly Black Talon).

I've carried Speer Gold Dots and Federal's Hydra shok. Recently I've added Reminton Golden Sabers also. They feed like ball ammo and I can buy 100 rounds of the bullets for $26. I know people don't like carring reloads but I wont get into all that.

Also I've carried 185gr and 230gr. I like the 230gr but we could start a light and fast vs. heavy and slow war if we are not careful.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

I go two ways with both 45 and 9mm. Either Winchester SXT or MagSafe "Swat", depending on the conditions. Usually I carry the MagSafe. As a civilian CCW, I figure the chances of ever needing to use my gun are next to nil and I prefer the knowledge of "Safety" in my self defense load. I would advise against using the Black Talon as the Political Correctness regarding this bullet might prove to be troublesome in court if you were ever forced to use it. As you stated, SXT is the "Politically Correct" version. The actual truth of the whole "Best Bullet" issue is that any "Premium" grade hollow point ammo will do the job quite well. It all boils down to, What you feel comfortable with. It's all good and it all works. If you still just can't make up your mind, find out what your local PD carry. You can't go wrong that way.

Good Luck!!!

I also use the Winchester Ranger SXT in my 2 carry guns, Sig Sauer P220, and Star PD (Both are .45 acp.) It's readily available around here and expansion is good.

Wink

Speer Ammo - Short Barrel

Speer Ammo - Ballistics Tables

http://www.brassfetcher.com/230grSGDSB.html

In my Glock 30 I carry the:

Gold Dot Short Barrel Personal Protection - 45 Auto

Part Number Cartridge
    Bullet Wt. Bullet Type Box Count Bullet Coefficient
    23975 45 Auto 230 GDHP-SB 20 0.148

Velocity(in feet per second) Energy (in foot pounds)
    Muzzle 50 yards 100 yards Muzzle 50 yards 100 yards
    820 783 749 343 313 287

Trajectory if sighted at 25 yards Test Barrel Length in inches Usage
    25 yards
    50 yards
    75 yards
    100 yards
    0.0 -2.5 -8.5 -18.3 4 1

Usage Key: 1 = Personal Protection | 2 = Training | 3 = Hunting
    Last edited by chroode; 04-09-2009 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Added another link

I tested several HP's all by shooting a 2x4 and mesuring the exit hole and inspecting the damage ....The Golden saber's seemed to make the nastiest hole coming out the back side so I usually keep those on hand.The jacket opens into a nasty sharp jagged cookie cutter and just seems to mangle better than others..

Exclamation Any good quality JHP will do!

You do not hear of somebody emptying a .45 into a BG. It is a big bullet with big knockdown power. Any Good JHP round will do the job. Find what you like best for accuracy and function and then don't stray from it. You will become consistant with that load and will be able to place shots nearly surgically with practice.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

... It is a big bullet with big knockdown power. Any Good JHP round will do the job. Find what you like best for accuracy and function and then don't stray from it. You will become consistant with that load and will be able to place shots nearly surgically with practice.
    +1 Modern SD ammo is pretty much all good. Find what your firearm likes to eat. I prefer 230gr ammo and use 230gr Remington Golden Sabers in my Sig P220 Compact and my Taurus PT-145 but have used 230gr Speer Gold Dots and 230gr Speer Gold Dots for Short Barrels with zero problems. You might also consider the cost difference of the SD ammo. If you are unfortunate enough to have to use any of this ammo, I doubt the BG is going to know the difference, or know much of anything for that matter. I figure they'll be doin' the Fosbury Flop.

(I also use 102gr Remington Golden Sabers in my NAA 380. Zero problems with feeding and ejecting.)
    I know a man by the name of Mel;
    he can't see but he sure do smell.

Have you checked out the Federal HST?

AL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast