Ammunition Shortages - I mean really!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Ammunition Shortages - I mean really!!!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lat: 35.81 Lon: -83.98 Elev: 962
    Posts
    6

    Ammunition Shortages - I mean really!!!

    All bovine scatology aside, what are the facts about supply recovery timeline?

    Not interested in rumors or speculations - if anyone has facts please share them.
    "When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."

  2.   
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wesley Chapel NC
    Posts
    270

    Uhhhh???

    I don't know about the supply side whachamacallit, but I love the avatar!

    Jes
    UT Alum 2001 (GO VOLS!!)

    Me no able to find shooty things for my bangy gun thing in any big shoppy places...

  4. #3
    I know that the sporting goods store where I shop is re "stocked" every week. The problem is that they don't know what calibers they get until they open the packing slip. The guy said its always a guessing game.
    Andrew

  5. My toy store seems to have most cal. most of the time but it is costing a bit more now a days.
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
    is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist '.

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by SigVol View Post
    All bovine scatology aside, what are the facts about supply recovery timeline?

    Not interested in rumors or speculations - if anyone has facts please share them.
    What facts are you looking for? Manufacturers have X capacity to produce, regardless of what it is they're producing. Suppliers are obligated to keep the military supplied first, the Feds second, civilian third. And whatever they do turn out to the civilian market gets swallowed up in just a few hours after it goes on the shelves. That is, except for the places where the prices are higher, as noted by KimberRB.

    Being involved in two wars, combined with the Obama effect means we have a greater demand than we do supply.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

  7. #6
    I talked to several manufacturers at the NRA meetings in Phoenix. They all said that they were cranking out ammo at max capacity, but they're not able to keep up with demand. They also said that the demand doesn't show any signs of letting up in the foreseeable future.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

  8. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lat: 35.81 Lon: -83.98 Elev: 962
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    What facts are you looking for? Manufacturers have X capacity to produce, regardless of what it is they're producing. Suppliers are obligated to keep the military supplied first, the Feds second, civilian third. And whatever they do turn out to the civilian market gets swallowed up in just a few hours after it goes on the shelves. That is, except for the places where the prices are higher, as noted by KimberRB.

    Being involved in two wars, combined with the Obama effect means we have a greater demand than we do supply.

    Facts, being the truth; which you have successfully captured only a few.
    "When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellM5 View Post
    I talked to several manufacturers at the NRA meetings in Phoenix. They all said that they were cranking out ammo at max capacity, but they're not able to keep up with demand. They also said that the demand doesn't show any signs of letting up in the foreseeable future.
    Anyone want to start a new business? I've got a pretty good idea of a great money maker.


    A supplier recently relayed to me that the manufacturers go by "what they sold last year", increase it a little bit as per demand, then rip it out. Then they change dies, and do it all over again in the new caliber. This being for the less common rounds, and then they switch over and start cranking out the common stuff as much as possible (9mm, .45, etc).

    Whether this holds any truth or not, I don't know. However, I'm surprised to have not yet read (which may be from a lack of seeing it) where manufacturers were expanding their production capabilities.

  10. #9
    The manufacturers are running at full capacity right now but the demand from the private sector is far exceeding the demand. One problem is that they run one caliber at a time and the demand from the military requires that other calibers such as .380 or .22 mag be put on hold. Why don't they expand? Does anyone really want to invest in expanding anything in this economy? They build a new plant to keep up with demand, all of a sudden the demand is fullfilled and then the supply exceeds the demand. The company is left with an idle plant. Anyone here olde enought to remember Cabbage Patch Dolls or even Duncan Yo-Yo's. Both companies built plants to supply the sudden demand and wound up bankrupt when the supply exceeded the demand.

    Just hang in there.

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by SigVol View Post
    Facts, being the truth; which you have successfully captured only a few.
    What I've stated pretty much sums it up, unless you want me to go into the finer details of the factors that limit a manufacturers capacity, but that information isn't really hard to find on you own.
    Or are you looking for some conspiracy theory about how foreign governments are buying up all our supply so that we can't defend ourselves when they decide to invade? That would be speculation, you asked for facts.

    Quote Originally Posted by thunderlounge View Post
    A supplier recently relayed to me that the manufacturers go by "what they sold last year", increase it a little bit as per demand, then rip it out. Then they change dies, and do it all over again in the new caliber. This being for the less common rounds, and then they switch over and start cranking out the common stuff as much as possible (9mm, .45, etc).

    Whether this holds any truth or not, I don't know. However, I'm surprised to have not yet read (which may be from a lack of seeing it) where manufacturers were expanding their production capabilities.
    It's absolutely true. Now, one may argue that they should have seen it coming even before the election, and stepped up to full capacity long before they did. Hindsight=20/20.


    Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    ...Why don't they expand? Does anyone really want to invest in expanding anything in this economy? They build a new plant to keep up with demand, all of a sudden the demand is fullfilled and then the supply exceeds the demand. The company is left with an idle plant...
    Exactly. Not to mention all the looming possible new restrictions on the manufacturers. The risk is way higher than the reward.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast