.44 Mag vs .357 Mag (knockdown power) - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .44 Mag vs .357 Mag (knockdown power)

Quote Originally Posted by DarrellM5 View Post
    This article has some really good info on stopping power.

Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm

The author states:
    Read the same article. I load 357B and C357B in my revolver. The other option is the 38 Spec +P They do not have the same "buck and roar" as the author of the article mentioned but will stop at close range.

Matter of feel for you the user. A 44 Mag small enough to carry concealed will kick like a mule. May not be comfortable for you. 357 not so bad (in my opinion) and Federal makes the 357 personal defense ammo in low recoil. With the 357 Mag you have the option for the 38 Spec, 38 Spec +P or +P+, and the 357 Mag loads.
    Options are good.

Best way to find the correct caliber is to shoot some and see. I've had the S&W "Dirty Harry" model 29 in my hands with factory 44 Mag loads.. Yikes... Fun, but not when life and death matter. Make sure it's one you can handle. It's your defense weapon, not a show piece.
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by srshadwi View Post
    I think everyone would agree that a .44 magnum offers more knockdown power than .357. A .44 is also probably the bare (pun intended) minimum cartridge to carry for protection against large game (I would prefer larger). Having said that, if you haven't fired a full strength .44 magnum round from a short barreled revolver, I recommend that you give it a try before purchasing a weapon. If you can handle the recoil AND can reliably make rapid follow-up shots that strike home, great. If after some training you are proficient with a .44 magnum you still have the concealment problem. There is really no such thing as a "small" .44 magnum (there may be some "novelty" derringer-type .44's out there, but I can't image how bad that recoil would be). It will be much easier to conceal a 5-shot .357 magnum. Besides, .357 magnum firearms have been proven to be good "manstoppers."

This is a website I found quite some time ago. I can't personally vouch for the accuracy of the information, but it is at least am interesting read. I found the ammo recommendations for the 10 gauge shotgun especially interesting

Selection of best ammunition for a defensive handgun

After all that rambling, I agree with Fuhr52. 4" .357 would be a decent choice.

Steve
    Also I have to agree with the 4" for barrel size (S&W Model 65 here). Better accuracy, smooth follow up shots.

4. Quote Originally Posted by DarrellM5 View Post
    This article has some really good info on stopping power.

Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm

The author states:
    the quote here is nonsense. That particular loading has more DATA available due to its commonality of use in revolvers before the modern autoloader era. To say that it has more stopping power than a 44mag is beyond silly...ask anyone who guides an AK brown bear hunt if they'd rather have a .357 than a 44mag.

This is more claptrap from the discredited "Anonymous" piece.

That said, a 44mag is in most cases far too heavy to carry for ordinary street threats.It would become cumbersome after awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by 4570Lever View Post
    the quote here is nonsense. That particular loading has more DATA available due to its commonality of use in revolvers before the modern autoloader era. To say that it has more stopping power than a 44mag is beyond silly...ask anyone who guides an AK brown bear hunt if they'd rather have a .357 than a 44mag.

This is more claptrap from the discredited "Anonymous" piece.

That said, a 44mag is in most cases far too heavy to carry for ordinary street threats.It would become cumbersome after awhile.
    Yeah I have to agree that the .44 Mag in the same jacketed hollow point configuration would yield more energy at impact compared to the .357 Mag... On that point I have to disagree with the author, but as far as the overall effectiveness of the Federal 357B cartridge it has been a proven performer. As far as the perfect self defense weapon goes the 44 Mag is a little too bulky and heavy. Any small and light 44 Mag with a short barrel is gonna kick hard and be difficult to control for rapid fire with full on Mag loads.. With the .357 Mag the ammo options are abundant.

I have both. I carry a 3" .357 mag with Crimson Trace Lasergrips. As for the .44, I use FMJ 180 gr HP rounds. I have harvested 5 deer from 4 ft. out to 147 yds., all one shot each. Didn't have too look very hard to find them either. I have no doubt what-so-ever what they would do to a bad guy. And now for the .357 mag. For carry purposes, i use the Hornady Critical Defense .357 mags. They are truly awesome rounds. Polymer tipped, fully-jacketed loads. I grew up shooting S&W 19's and 27's. My Father was a Deputy Sheriff, and that was standard issue "back in the day". Today, the .357 mag is still my caliber of choice. My S&W 681PC ( 7-shot ) is quite capable of ending a bad situation. So, I guess I would have to pick the .357 for my own preference. But, I am only an old "country boy" from Louisiana, now 52, and living up here in Ohio. I am relatively new to this site, and I would like to see and talk about more "wheelie" folks. I do enjoy all types of guns, but prefer the "wheelies".

Harry Callahan:
    I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

Well to be precise the term knock down power is an erroneous phrase. That small piece of lead can not knock anyone down however severe damage to the central nervous system can put someone down.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by netentity View Post
    Keep in mind that the .41 magnum is more difficult to find. You have to order the ammo for that round. For self defense, I'd opt for .357 or .44 magnum. .44 special is a very viable self defense round. The large game issue has already been mentioned. If you have to deal with bear or other large game then .44 magnum quickly becomes your only option for defense against other persons and large game. The smallest .44 magnum revolver you can get is in 2.5" to 3" barrel. .44 specials are available in 2" barrels, however I don't consider .44 special to be viable against large game.

I just love absolutes on the internet.

I have over 500 rounds of .41mag ammo I purchased at my local gunshop last summer. I didn't have to "order it". .44mag will be easier to find for sure, but I can find some .41mag in one of the many gunshops in town tomorrow if I wanted it. Maybe I'm lucky to live where I do, but it disproves your statement.

And I imagine my .41mag loaded with hard cast Buffalo Bores is just as good against grizzlies as the next guy's .44mag, which is probably not very good at all! That said, a .44mag is "not" your only option....and I do carry my .41mag every week while fishing, and I'm not the only one, so I'm willing to live with my choice.

I love these threads. I'm gonna make some popcorn!

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    Well to be precise the term knock down power is an erroneous phrase. That small piece of lead can not knock anyone down however severe damage to the central nervous system can put someone down.
    True. If a bullet would knock over the person it shoots, Newton's Third Law of Motion (For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction )requires it would also knock down the shooter!

I carry .357 mag. .44 is a bit much to control, though it is probably a little more deadly.

I haven't done studies with .357 vs. .44, but I have with 9mm vs. .357. I shot the 3/32 inch steel plate below with both, at 11 yards. The dents are from 9mm, the hole is from .357.

Right Arm of Wyoming - RKBA rock and roll.
    http://www.rightarmofwyoming.com

11. A 125gr bullet traveling @ 1450fps (Speer 125gr Gold Dot based on the listed velocity on the Speer site) is superior to a 240gr bullet traveling @ 1400fps (Speer 240gr Gold Dot hunting load velocity from the same site)?

Almost twice the bullet weight traveling at approximately the same speed? Nope, don't think so.

Speer Ammo - Ballistics Tables

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast