1911 Holster

Thread: 1911 Holster

1. 1911 Holster

Hey guys, I recently purchased a Kimber Custom Stainless II chambered in 9mm (Too cheap to shoot .45)

It appears to be the exact same size as a .45 1911 (externally). I was wondering if anyone had any experience with holsters...I'm thinking it should fit a standard "government 1911" model holster.

Sorry if this is a dumb question: first 1911....
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

For concealed carry, check out Crossbreed Holsters. I've got a Super Tuck and it makes my full sized 1911 more comfortable than my Glock 19.

4. So any full-size holster SHOULD work..?
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

Yes.
    Gun control: Forcing a 95lb woman to fist fight a 300lb rapist

I carry my Kimber Ultra CDP II in a comp-tac holster. I've used it for 3 years now and have no complaints.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Other than optional rails or some 'double-stack' versions of the 1911, I'd think most 1911's would fit in most standard 1911 holsters.

I've run numerous 1911 models through my Blackhawk Serpa at the range for training purposes, and only the double-stack Llama with rails didn't completely 'lock in' with the trigger guard retention device. Everything else fits fine.

If you're an OWB guy, I'd highly recommend Crossbreed Holster's SnapSlide for the 1911.
    "There is no consitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen." (7th Cir. 1982, Bowers v. DeVito)Stay safe, and stay trained.www.sazsatt.com

8. Quote Originally Posted by AZSATT View Post
    Other than optional rails or some 'double-stack' versions of the 1911, I'd think most 1911's would fit in most standard 1911 holsters.

I've run numerous 1911 models through my Blackhawk Serpa at the range for training purposes, and only the double-stack Llama with rails didn't completely 'lock in' with the trigger guard retention device. Everything else fits fine.

If you're an OWB guy, I'd highly recommend Crossbreed Holster's SnapSlide for the 1911.
    I currently have a don hume OWB holster. I've heard so much about the crossbreed line I think i'm going to order one. People on this board seem to love them. This damn 1911 lol i intended as a CCW only gun but i'll shamefully admit it may take the place of my glock on duty.

Do you use the Lvl 2 serpa or Lvl 3? I've tried the level 2 and I didnt care for it...just seemed like it was a "cheaply made" holster...as in structually weak.

Do you ever use IWB for your 1911? I've never tried it but i've never liked any IWB i've ever tried..then again people say crossbreed will change that.

Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    Do you use the Lvl 2 serpa or Lvl 3? I've tried the level 2 and I didnt care for it...just seemed like it was a "cheaply made" holster...as in structually weak.
    not sure what kinda of things you are doing to your serpa to make it feel "structurally weak" but i have a level 2 for my S&W 1911PD and it hasn't failed in any way, shape or form... the one for the glock 19 i have is the same story... then again everybody has their own preferences and yours may (and rightly so can) differ...

personally i love the serpa for range carry, hunting, or cold weather carry... definitely not my cup of tea when temps come up, but OWB don't fit my body type well...
    Glock 19 | S&W 1911PD
    Rock River Arms Elite LAR-15

10. Agreed, what kind of level 2 were you using that felt weak? Haven't had one come loose ever, strictly talking about my experience with Fobus

11. Was the standard blackhawk Lvl 2. I am comparing it to my duty carry holster Safariland, I also have a safariland rig for off duty open carry and in comparison of either the Blackhawk felt flimsy.

Just my opinion, many people love them. I just am not one of those people...