IYO, best handgun for about $400... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IYO, best handgun for about $400...

1. A S&W Sigma would also fit your purpose.

Chuck

I've recently looked at S&W J frames in the 400-450 range, and I considered getting a Taurus Judge for fits and shiggles.

Like has been said it depends on what you want it for. I'm in agreement with pretty much everyone that if it's for carry or personal defense price shouldn't really be an issue, get what you want and feel comfortable with. (Hard to stick to that with the economy)

A S&W Airweight 642 is a little over 400 new and makes a great pocket gun. The S&W Sigma is pretty impressive for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by 357Sif View Post
    The Stoegar Cougar is another pistol that comes in that price range. It is the same gun as the Beretta Cougar.
    It is made in Turkey on Beretta machinery. Reviews on it have been great .
    Gary
    x2 on the stoeger cougar. i got one in the .40 cal and love it.

You can get a brand new Taurus for $400.
    "I don't want to ever shoot anyone . . .
    but I want bad guys to leave my family and me alone!"

I agree with the advice (e.g., ClearSightTactical) that says: save up to buy what you really want. FYI, I carry an XD .45 and really do like the weapon. I think if you buy "on the cheap", you're only going to turn around later and buy what you want, and then be out that much more. I'm not saying that any of the handguns listed are cheap, just that you seem to know what you want and don't have the money right now to buy it. My .02 cents

Quote Originally Posted by 357Sif View Post
    The Stoegar Cougar is another pistol that comes in that price range. It is the same gun as the Beretta Cougar.
    It is made in Turkey on Beretta machinery. Reviews on it have been great .
    Gary

I have a stoger cougar .40 S&W. They are a nice pistol, never a failure of any kind.
    Also my wife likes to shoot it (not the nasty muzzle flip of my xdm .40)

I almost traded my xdm for a Beretta cougar compact version (nib) this weekend, but it was the double action only version & had no night sights.

I don't think you can go wrong with a cougar.

what ever you buy if it is for self protection i would get night sights.

Best Gun...

yeah, I don't think very much of spending anywhere close to 400 for a gun. I have my beloved Makarov 9x18, and now a Kel-Tec P3AT. That's not to say that I wouldn't dearly love to have a SA EMP, or Kimber Ultra Carry II, but there are just TOO MANY excellent weapons out there for under 300. You can still find a nice Makarov (which is my daily carry) for about 250.
    qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum

9. What is the purpose of the pistol? Home Defense? Concealed Carry? Target Practice?

Lightbulb IMO, here's a viable option:

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Go with a Glock...cheaper and will never fail. All the xd's is see are overpriced. Saw many Glocks at the Tulsa gun show from $425-550 new in box. Or just get a used one, can't go wrong with Glock.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast