40 sw for carry - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 40 sw for carry

1. I only carry Hornady TAP Personal Defense Ammo in 155gr in my .40 for SD. Very accurate, very controllable, and with the 4" barrel on my CCW, there's hardly any "Snap" at all.

Quote Originally Posted by NRA UR2 View Post
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned not to carry "reloads" in your CCW piece. If you have to shoot somebody do it with factory loads only. A prosecutor, judge, or jury will find against you if you use deadly force with homemade ammunition.. In effect you can be labaeled "the Perp". or a person hellbent on killing someone. Its really a "rule of thumb" in CCW circles.
    Naw! I carried my own reloads for a long time. I've seen enough courtrooms in my career that I find there are alot of these lawyer wives tales floating around out there talking about what you can get sued for and get rapped on in a courtroom. Most of it is inexperienced Police Training talk.
    Check the thread in Ammunition Heading under the Handguns section called "Reloads for SD". We did a whole discussion on it.

As for the 40 for carry. I usually don't carry the 40, but I do have a couple of Glock 23's, a 22 and 27. They all shoot well and frame / size wise, would be the same as carrying any of the 9mm Glocks, except a little less mag capacity and snappier recoil. The cartridge has been proven on the street with all of the Police use out there. From the street results that are being taught today, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference in the
    9mm, 40 and 45 on the street. I guess that's because of the ammo technology out there these days.
    There's Something Goin' On Here, and it Ain't Funny!!!

Daily CC Glock 27... Recoil isn't all tht bad. I thought it was kind of snappy at first but I quickly got used to it.

Just an update I bought a used Glock 23 OD with night sights. Thanks for all the input.

nice 40s

I've fired the 4" barrel XD and found it to have good ergonomics and be comfortable to shoot. I think I've fired a G23 ages ago and thought it was good. I love the SIG 229 and think that if you wanted something a little thinner, the 239 would be a good choice too.

I never thought the recoil from any of those was all that bad, but I've also spent a fair amount of time shooting 357 and 44 magnums.

I reload, but I only reload practice and hunting ammo - mostly the stuff that's really expensive. I use factory ammo for carrying. Most manfacturers have more precise case trimming equipment and better QC processes than I do. I also buy a lot of my practice ammo since reloading large quantities of small handgun rounds is a pain in the posterior. Besides, I have to get my brass somewhere and the most fun way to get it is to shoot more.

I think the Heckler & Koch USP compact .40 Is just perfect. 12 +1 with a 3.58 barrel.
    Just try one out and I think you will be sold. I bought it, took it to the range and after I fired the first round I just smiled and thought ..."this was worth it!"
    With the varient I have you can carry it like a 1911, cocked and locked. You can carry it as a dao with the safety on. It is da/sa
    Last edited by CapGun; 01-17-2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: additional info

I regularly carry a Glock 23.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

9. You said you have a Glock in another caliber. If you like the one you have, you might try the Glock 23. It is compact and has that reliability one needs in a concealed carry firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    I think the Heckler & Koch USP compact .40 Is just perfect. 12 +1 with a 3.58 barrel.
    Just try one out and I think you will be sold. I bought it, took it to the range and after I fired the first round I just smiled and thought ..."this was worth it!"
    With the varient I have you can carry it like a 1911, cocked and locked. You can carry it as a dao with the safety on. It is da/sa

My Hk is my favorite carry gun. Light, compact without being tiny, and accurate.

Hey there Confess. I am going to send my USP .40 compact to HK and have them put on the ambi safety and pretty sure I am going to change the front sight to the XS.
    It sure shoots sweet.
    I see the pic by your name there. I also have a EMP in .40. It is pretty impressive. When I have more time and not so lazy I will finally get around to telling my experience with Springfield Armory customer service. They are so good it makes me want to buy another Springfield product!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast