40 sw for carry
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 40 sw for carry

40 sw for carry

I 've got a couple 45's Glock and XD. I want to get a 40 for carry and I have alot of brass for reloading. What are you carrying in 40 and what do you like about it. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tkdkraig View Post
    I 've got a couple 45's Glock and XD. I want to get a 40 for carry and I have alot of brass for reloading. What are you carrying in 40 and what do you like about it. Thanks
    I have multiple Glock 23 and Glock 27 pistols. I like the performance of the .40 s&w round with a 165 grain bullet. I can carry more ammo than a .45, and feel that the round performs a lot better than the 9mm.

With any SD firearm, it's a personal choice and what you carry will depend on many factors, and is ultimately the choice and responsiblity of the person carrying the firearm.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

4. I carry an XD .40 Service (4" barrel) daily.

I have a Kahr PM40 that I carry sometimes when I want something smaller than my PM45. I also have a Glock 27, Taurus Millennium PT140, Kel-Tec P40 and a few others.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

6. I carry the Glock 23. Mine too shoots best with the 165 gr. Maybe a bit bulky for some with an IWB holster but with a 13 rnd magazine it works for me.

7. I'm surprised nobody mentioned not to carry "reloads" in your CCW piece. If you have to shoot somebody do it with factory loads only. A prosecutor, judge, or jury will find against you if you use deadly force with homemade ammunition.. In effect you can be labaeled "the Perp". or a person hellbent on killing someone. Its really a "rule of thumb" in CCW circles.

Quote Originally Posted by NRA UR2 View Post
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned not to carry "reloads" in your CCW piece. If you have to shoot somebody do it with factory loads only. A prosecutor, judge, or jury will find against you if you use deadly force with homemade ammunition.. In effect you can be labaeled "the Perp". or a person hellbent on killing someone. Its really a "rule of thumb" in CCW circles.
    IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer), so don't take this as legal advice. I used to subscribe to the same school of thought until I recently met a seasoned CD attorney who successfully defended a client who uses reloads. The fact that the shot could not be duplicated by the prosecutor left "reasonable doubt", which worked in favor of the defense.

As a firearms instrutor, I now teach my students to do as you see fit, however be prepared to face the consequences of your decision. Until one is extremely knowledgeable in reloading, they should stick to factory ammo for SD. I've seen reloads made by a novice fail more often than factory ammo. Lots of variables involved in reloading.

JMHO, happy & safe shooting to all!

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

I don't want to sidetrack this thread. There are several threads on this subject, however, there's no problem using reloads. There's no case on record where someone was prosecuted for protecting themselves or others using reloads.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

10. the Xd40 in a sub compact has a lot of snap to it. I love my xd9sc for accuracy. I would rather carry a .22LR than a 40 imo. the 40 in a small frame with a high pressure round makes for not so accurate shooting.
    XD9sc

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelSlayer View Post
    the Xd40 in a sub compact has a lot of snap to it. I love my xd9sc for accuracy. I would rather carry a .22LR than a 40 imo. the 40 in a small frame with a high pressure round makes for not so accurate shooting.
    Like with any firearm, proper ammunition selection and live fire training will help with accuracy. Most subcompact polymer frame pistols in .40 s&w come off as a "snappy". When I first purchased a G 27, I had problems with accuracy and comfort when firing several magazines. A lot of range time and proper ammo selection has gotten me to a point where I'm very comfortable with my ablility to handle the pistol. I use my G 23 as a primary firearm, and the G 27 as a BUG.

gf

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast