which gun - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: which gun

  1. I carry the XD-40 and of all my guns, this is my favorite to shoot and the most comfortable to carry. Ruger (I have 2)makes a good weapon but to me, they are not as comfortable to shoot or to get a good hold on. My Sig is just a rock and is my home defense pistol. Both the Springfield and sig are comperable as far as feel and dependability. You could put popcorn in the magazines and they would shoot it! For concealment, the XD-40 (sub compact) just disapears. It is the most fun gun I own. Acurate,low recoil, comfortable and most of all dependable. It conceals well and is very accurate; what more can you ask for. These are my opinions and are based on what I like. go to a range and shoot both of them. Don't listen to me or anyone else on this Forum. You may find something else that feels "right" in your hand. You will know when you pick it up :) Don't worry to much about accuracy. An accurate gun that does not fit your hand will not be as accrate as a less accurate weapon that does. Also, remember, most self defense shots will be around 10 feet or closer so unless you plan on doing a lot of range work, accuracy is secondary to reliability and being the perfect fit for you. If it fits correctly, you will be on target almost everytime so as long as the gun goes Bang when you pull the trigger, you will be good to go

    Keep us informed of our decision and good luck!

  2.   
  3. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,556
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceFrank View Post
    That's a really complicated question. What do you plan on using it for?

    If you want to shoot snakes, use the Judge. I'm not sold on .410 as a defensive handgun load, however. You only get 3 or 4 pellets of 00 buckshot per shell, and the slugs have much less energy than a decent .45 Colt. If you want to use the .45 Colt, you can get a good revolver with a much smaller cylinder than the Judge, probably for less money.

    Both the XD and the Ruger P-series are great guns. I own neither, but wouldn't hesitate to carry either of them. The XD has the edge in ammunition capacity (it's hard to argue with 13+1 in .45ACP). The Ruger is also available with an alloy frame if you don't like polymer. The Ruger is also made in America, and you can probably get it cheaper.

    Bottom line, if you want a polymer-frame, striker-fired weapon, the XD is one the best available. If you want to spend a little less and have a hammer-fired weapon with a decocker, go with the Ruger. But don't ignore the other options out there...
    I have a Taurus Judge Ultra-light. It makes a great self defense weapon. I think it is a better choice to use it as a home weapon with other gun options as a carry but you could carry this. A little large to conceal easily. 3"barrel but that longer cylinder adds to the size. ++++ It's fun to shoot!
    Stopping power? You have to shoot the thing and see for yourself. The .45 long Colt is a pretty large caliber. The .410 works just great. I find the Federal self defense .410 in #4 shot works well but the 000 buckshot is amazing. In either case those loads for self defense are devastating.
    You can ever use both in the cylinder at same time. Maybe the first shot is the .45 colt. followed by three .410 then another .45. You can decide for yourself depending on your own personal tactical theory.

  4. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    I have a Taurus Judge Ultra-light. It makes a great self defense weapon. I think it is a better choice to use it as a home weapon with other gun options as a carry but you could carry this. A little large to conceal easily. 3"barrel but that longer cylinder adds to the size. ++++ It's fun to shoot!
    Stopping power? You have to shoot the thing and see for yourself. The .45 long Colt is a pretty large caliber. The .410 works just great. I find the Federal self defense .410 in #4 shot works well but the 000 buckshot is amazing. In either case those loads for self defense are devastating.
    You can ever use both in the cylinder at same time. Maybe the first shot is the .45 colt. followed by three .410 then another .45. You can decide for yourself depending on your own personal tactical theory.
    I get what you're saying, and I imagine that it does do quite a number on pumpkins or watermelons. But given the testing linked to further up the thread, until I see real ballistics data, (or a real life self defense story) I'm going to have to lean on the "not that great for SD" side. That's not to say that I would want to get shot by the thing. I just want to know that it will stop whatever crazed being I deploy it against.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

  5. Question

    Quote Originally Posted by jake russell View Post
    which is the best gun springfeid xd or the taurus judge or ruger p series guns Thanks Jake
    Don't know.

    What are you gonna use what I choose for and how well can you shoot all of the options you gave?

    You're talkin' about 3 completely different guns- a BIG DA wheelgun, a striker fired semi auto and a whole series of pistols available with traditional DA/SA and DAO options with a couple different frame options including metal and polymer and a bunch of different caliber options (9mm, .40S&W and .45ACP are the most common but I've actually seen a P-89 in .30 Luger).

    I don't mean to sound like a smart alec, but the question is about like walking into Baskin-Robbins during lunch rush and asking what's the best flavor to order.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    I have a Taurus Judge Ultra-light. It makes a great self defense weapon. I think it is a better choice to use it as a home weapon with other gun options as a carry but you could carry this. A little large to conceal easily. 3"barrel but that longer cylinder adds to the size. ++++ It's fun to shoot!
    Stopping power? You have to shoot the thing and see for yourself. The .45 long Colt is a pretty large caliber. The .410 works just great. I find the Federal self defense .410 in #4 shot works well but the 000 buckshot is amazing. In either case those loads for self defense are devastating.
    You can ever use both in the cylinder at same time. Maybe the first shot is the .45 colt. followed by three .410 then another .45. You can decide for yourself depending on your own personal tactical theory.
    Capgun,
    Don't bet on a JHP from that short barrel Judge working as advertised. You don't have enough barrel to generate enough velocity to get them to work reliably. I tried a maximum charge of HP-38 and Bullseye under a 200gr bullet in .44 Special (which is about equivalent to a .45 Colt velocity wise) out of a 3" barrel and never got better than 700fps at the muzzle as per my Pact chronograph. I was getting gas cutting and leading the barrel up REALLY bad with lead bullets, but no meaningful increase in velocity and the jacketed rounds were no better. I quickly dropped using the .44 Special 200gr Silvertip and went to the Federal .44 Special 200gr LSWC-HP (an unjacketed semi wad cutter hollow point) because it's made with a very soft alloy and soft lead WILL expand better than the jacketed round will at those velocities.

    In a 3" .45 Colt, I'd find an unjacketed round to use. Federal makes the all lead SWC-HP in a 225gr for the .45 Colt and there's lighter weight rounds out on the market as well. Going to a 185gr may help but you still only can do so much with a short barrel.

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,556
    Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    Capgun,
    Don't bet on a JHP from that short barrel Judge working as advertised. You don't have enough barrel to generate enough velocity to get them to work reliably. I tried a maximum charge of HP-38 and Bullseye under a 200gr bullet in .44 Special (which is about equivalent to a .45 Colt velocity wise) out of a 3" barrel and never got better than 700fps at the muzzle as per my Pact chronograph. I was getting gas cutting and leading the barrel up REALLY bad with lead bullets, but no meaningful increase in velocity and the jacketed rounds were no better. I quickly dropped using the .44 Special 200gr Silvertip and went to the Federal .44 Special 200gr LSWC-HP (an unjacketed semi wad cutter hollow point) because it's made with a very soft alloy and soft lead WILL expand better than the jacketed round will at those velocities.

    In a 3" .45 Colt, I'd find an unjacketed round to use. Federal makes the all lead SWC-HP in a 225gr for the .45 Colt and there's lighter weight rounds out on the market as well. Going to a 185gr may help but you still only can do so much with a short barrel.
    I'd be inclined to agree with you. I just think at the shorter range that this gun is good for that a lighter JHP long colt.45 would do the trick. Plus I like the way I can mix it up in the same cylinder with the .410.
    My main street carry would be H&K USP compact in .40

  8. #17
    Here's a spin ........

    Go for this, my buddy has one in a 9mm, awesome pistol.

    Beretta Web - PX4 Storm SubCompact

  9. #18
    Personal testing useing stacked paper has shown the Judge with a 410 oo buck in it is not a threat stopping rd, unless your literaly on top of the guy, the short barrel will give insuficent velocity to be instantly lethal, the 45 colt is a better choice rd, even at that it would be a short range deal, in some case's 00 buck mostly bounce's off a car's front or rear window, here again unless your on top of what your shooting at, the 45 cartridge will give you a bit more range, honestly can not rec for a carry/defence weapon, go with a 45acp 40 S&W or 9mm all of which make better self defence weapons

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
    Personal testing useing stacked paper has shown the Judge with a 410 oo buck in it is not a threat stopping rd, unless your literaly on top of the guy, the short barrel will give insuficent velocity to be instantly lethal, the 45 colt is a better choice rd, even at that it would be a short range deal, in some case's 00 buck mostly bounce's off a car's front or rear window, here again unless your on top of what your shooting at, the 45 cartridge will give you a bit more range, honestly can not rec for a carry/defence weapon, go with a 45acp 40 S&W or 9mm all of which make better self defence weapons
    The issue the .45 Colt has in use as a self defense round is that there is a serious lack of self defense ammunition available for it. Basically, there's the 225gr Winchester Silvertip, the Federal 225gr Lead SWC-HP and Corbon has a 200gr JHP available and that's it. A 225gr .452 diameter bullet doing 800-900fps (from a 4-5 inch barrel) is going to be close enough to ballistically identical to standard pressure 230gr .45 ACP that it will be indistinguishable. Same diameter, same weight (a 5gr variance in pistol bullets isn't unusual), same velocity. The big issue with using .45 Colt in the Judge is the fact that you have so much freebore (a 1.60" cartridge being fired in a chamber cut for a 2 1/2" or 3" cartridge) before the bullet hits the chamber throat and forcing cone and you have such a short barrel. No matter what particular load you put into it, that freebore isn't going to help and the short barrel means that you simply don't that the in barrel time to build the velocity. The same holds true for all short barreled pistols no matter what round they are chambered for. One inch less barrel means 50 to 150 fps of loss velocity as a rule of thumb.

  11. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    22
    I feel like the Judge is a fun gimmick weapon ... something I my buy someday when I get all the "serious" guns I want to buy. I have two Ruger P series pistols in 95mm and love them both, the P89 and the polymer framed P95. That said and limiting the choices to the three you mentioned, I'd go with the Springfield XD just because I'm always hearing so much good about it.

    That said, I actually own Glocks as my defense weapons, G19 for home and G26 to carry. I went that route for several reasons but since they were not on your list ...
    I no longer trust my government to act on my behalf.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast