which gun - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: which gun

1. [QUOTE=utimmer43;110367 I guess Taurus should just come up with a 28 GA "Supreme Court Justice." [/QUOTE]
    Yeah, then the ammo could cost as much as the gun. Besides, it's not actually a revolving shotgun.

A shotgun that short would be strictly an NFA gun. But it's not a shotgun, shotguns are smooth bore and it has rifling in the barrel.

It's a .45 Colt revolver with a REALLLLLLLLLLY long freebore that 'happens' to be long enough to take .410 shotshells.

Since the 'pistol' has to be based on a cartridge not a shotshell, it can't be bigger than .50" bore diameter. (Over .50 and the AFTE gets REALLY annoyed. Like won't let it be imported or if you're domestic, they want to break out the 'city bracelets and carry you to big boy jail for a LONG time annoyed. That's why the .50 AE is .50 instead of .510 like the old Sharps cartridges were.) Is there a cartridge that is close enough to a 28 gauge to share a chamber?

Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    Is there a cartridge that is close enough to a 28 gauge to share a chamber?
    I doubt it. The 28 GA is a .550 bore, so it is awfully close to a .500 S&W. The difference is about 13/256" (That's just a hair more than 3/64"), so maybe you could shove one into the chamber diameter of a .500? Of course then you would also need that chamber to be lengthened to 2 3/4". If the 28 GA would not fit into a .500, the other option would be to have the proper diameter chamber, and have the barrel taper down to .500. Rifle it just to make the BATFE happy, but it (the rifling) would serve no other purpose.

Of course, even if the chamber/ barrel issues were resolved, there is also the availability of ammo (as you pointed out) and the lack of anything larger than a #6 shot for a 28GA. So in reality this is all hypothetical and completely impractical. But then, my suggestion of the "Supreme Court Justice" was kinda tongue-in-cheek anyway.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

4. .22 cal

I cannot find where it says if you can carry a .22 caliber weapon or not. A retired policeman told me that you cannot. My daughter will turn 21 in July and she wants her .22 cal P22 Walther that I bought her to practice on.

Thanks.....

Quote Originally Posted by KathyHill99 View Post
    I cannot find where it says if you can carry a .22 caliber weapon or not. A retired policeman told me that you cannot. My daughter will turn 21 in July and she wants her .22 cal P22 Walther that I bought her to practice on.

Thanks.....
    You are talking about concealed carry I assume? For concealed carry, in some states you might have to qualify, and have each firearm listed on your permit. In other states, carry what ever you want.

A .22 is not the best carry firearm, but it is better then no firearm at all.

Quote Originally Posted by KathyHill99 View Post

Thanks.....
    If your talking about conncealed carry, there is law that I have ever heard of that says you cannot carry a 22, as was said some states have you qualify with what your going to carry, then if you get a differant weapon you may have to requalify, and have the aditional weapon listed on your permit, when my wife first got her permit she carryed a P-22, dynomite little gun, she got awful good with it, to the piont she could put 30 rds in a half dollar hole at 7yds

Honestly I should ad that the P-22 generaly does not last long as a prefered weapon, its easy to shoot, but as a concealed carry weapon, its not the best choice, most go to something a bit stronger

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123