Ruger New Vaquero .357 Carry Gun? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger New Vaquero .357 Carry Gun?

Quote Originally Posted by mattieg429 View Post
    saw this was 2 years old still kinda hoping fof a reply. ..im kinda a younger shooter and im really into single action revolvers...i bought a super black hawk 44 with the 10.5 barrel after playing with my girlfriends replica 1873 22...i fell in lovew with both. how ever niether are suitable for concealed carry...i loved the hammer of the new vaquero and trust my self carrying that over a semi auto pistol so hopefully with in the next month i own this model or a similar model suitable to carry...wondering if there are any in the waste band holsters for them or any ideas for a skinny guy with out using a shoulder rig.
    mattieg, I picked up a SAA Vaquero 44 Magnum 7.5 from my son-in-law awhile back and conceal carry easily under a jacket or a hoody in an Uncle Mike's hip holster. The bottom sticks out about a 1/2 inch or so but no big deal. I love everything about this gun. For a 10.5 I don't think anything but a shoulder holster would work.
    Ruger New Vaquero .357  Carry Gun?-th_ruger44.jpg
    ~ HEAVEN Has A Wall And A Strict Immigration Policy - HELL Has Open Borders ~

3. thanks for the post back! the 10.5" is just range time fun lol. I was looking at the between a 4 and 6 inch barrel and hopefully a safe quality in the wasteband holster...i will check out the other holster if you say that works well i might even consider a longer. i carry a 1911 and i dont feel very comfortable keeping on in the chamber because my safety comes off easy so i carry empty and lose speed...i like the thought of nothing in the top chamber and the easy of pulling the hammer back...the model i was looking that the hammer seem to be either cut down a tad or it didnt curve as high as traditional designs...is yours like that and how do you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by mattieg429 View Post
    thanks for the post back! the 10.5" is just range time fun lol. I was looking at the between a 4 and 6 inch barrel and hopefully a safe quality in the wasteband holster...i will check out the other holster if you say that works well i might even consider a longer. i carry a 1911 and i dont feel very comfortable keeping on in the chamber because my safety comes off easy so i carry empty and lose speed...i like the thought of nothing in the top chamber and the easy of pulling the hammer back...the model i was looking that the hammer seem to be either cut down a tad or it didnt curve as high as traditional designs...is yours like that and how do you like it?
    You're welcome mattieg. I hadn't viewed the post in awhile, otherwise I would have replied sooner. Personally I don't like anything about waistband holsters. The Uncle Mike is the most comfortable carry for a SAA in any length barrel IMO, aside from a western rig. I carry mine around all day, even the weight isn't a discomfort with this holster. As for carrying with an empty top cylinder it isn't necessary with the transfer bar, it's a good practice only with the original SAA with the firing pin located on the hammer. Personally, I favor the high curve on the hammer as you can see. My other carry is also a 1911 (Colt Commander) and I always carry with chamber empty (personal preference) regardless of what the so-called experts tell me. I've handled all categories of guns my entire life and am proficient with them all. I'm my own expert on what works best for me, period.

Ruger New Vaquero .357  Carry Gun?-100_0454.jpg Ruger New Vaquero .357  Carry Gun?-100_0455.jpg

My every day carry is a Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .44 Special in a Mernikle IWB holster. I qualified for my CHP with an Uberti Regulator in .45 Colt. Both are the 4 5/8 BBL versions. In the field, I carry a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum, again with the 4 5/8 inch tube. Sometimes I carry a second single action as a backup, and sometimes I carry a S&W Bodyguard .38 Special as a backup. If I need something smaller for deep concealment (carrying where I am really not supposed to), I carry either a Beretta 95FS, Glock 30SL, or CZ-75 Compact as the situation warrants. But this I can tell you, the .44 Special Ruger is what is on my side and in my car 90% of the time.

Go for it, Ringo.
    CC/OC oughtta be an enjoyable pasttime and we are never to old to play cowboys!
    I have a stainless 7 1/2" SBH in .44Magnum that I need to take out more often now that I've been reminded.
    Highly recommended reading:
    QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Question...If you were out in the boondocks facing a BG, no one else around for miles, and you had only "one" bullet in your 44 magnum revolver and your life depended on it, would you want it to be the 44 spl. round or the magnum round?

8. I'm a 17 year LE officer (federal, state and municipal) and I often carry my Ruger New Vaquero 45 for off-duty carry. I put Eagle rosewood 'Gunfighter' stocks on it and carry it in an El Paso Saddlery 'Tom Threepersons' holster. If a carry a larger backup, I carry my S&W 640 38, with Eagle ultra pearl grips. And, I always have my NAA 22 magnum in my pocket. It may not be for everyone, but I think I'm adequately prepared for any situation that I might find myself in lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Question...If you were out in the boondocks facing a BG, no one else around for miles, and you had only "one" bullet in your 44 magnum revolver and your life depended on it, would you want it to be the 44 spl. round or the magnum round?
    Since my normal carry gun is a .44 Special, the question kind of answers itself. However, if I am in the field and carrying my Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag, it is loaded with .44 Mags. I cannot see carrying the extra weight of the Super Blackhawk unless I have it loaded with what it was intended to shoot. If I was facing a human, I would prefer my .44 Special since the bullets loaded in the cartridges are intended for self defense against human targets. The bullets loaded in the .44 Magnum are intended for much larger targets and would likely pass through a human without much energy dump. Just my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Punch View Post
    . If I was facing a human, I would prefer my .44 Special since the bullets loaded in the cartridges are intended for self defense against human targets. The bullets loaded in the .44 Magnum are intended for much larger targets and would likely pass through a human without much energy dump. Just my guess.
    Both rounds are 240 gr. HP. Are you saying that there wouldn't be enough difference between the two rounds to make a difference when your life depends on it, except that the more powerful round has the potential to pass through the target?

Quote Originally Posted by pugilist66 View Post
    I'm a 17 year LE officer (federal, state and municipal) and I often carry my Ruger New Vaquero 45 for off-duty carry. I put Eagle rosewood 'Gunfighter' stocks on it and carry it in an El Paso Saddlery 'Tom Threepersons' holster. .
    I love the El Paso Saddlery 'Tom Threepersons' holster. I have ONE that fits both my Colt Python & S&W 686 Plus.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast