Ruger New Vaquero .357 Carry Gun? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ruger New Vaquero .357 Carry Gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Both rounds are 240 gr. HP. Are you saying that there wouldn't be enough difference between the two rounds to make a difference when your life depends on it, except that the more powerful round has the potential to pass through the target?
    No, that is not what I said. And niether round that I carry is a 240 gr HP. I carry Winchester 200 gr Silvertips in the .44 Special. It is a fairly mild load at 900 fps and 360 ft-lbs. This load is very accurate. I am very comfortable with the pistol and it tends to hit exactly where I want it to, so it is my "most of the time" carry gun. I keep my .44 Magnum loaded with Winchester 250 gr Platinum Tips which supposedly come out of the barrel at 1250 fps and 867 ft-lbs. While not excessive, the recoil on this round is measurably higher than the .44 Special and followup shots are slower. In addition, the .44 Magnum New Model Super Blackhawk is heavier to tote around than the .44 Special New Model Ruger Blackhawk, and it is not quite as comfortable in my hand.

Even though I am a big fan of Evan Marshall, I do not believe that a handgun bullet type or style wins a gunfight. Hitting the bad guy in a vital area before he shoots you wins gunfights. In other words, shot placement. I think that there is quite a difference between these two loads, but that is not what drives my decision. If I am facing a human target, I will most likely be engaging him with the .44 Special because that is the gun that I have the most confidence in as far as hitting the target quickly. My life depends on my tactics and ability, not the bullet that I use. To be truthful, if I KNEW that I would be facing a bad guy out in the boonies, I would have my FAL, not a handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Punch View Post
    No, that is not what I said. And niether round that I carry is a 240 gr HP. I carry Winchester 200 gr Silvertips in the .44 Special. It is a fairly mild load at 900 fps and 360 ft-lbs. This load is very accurate. I am very comfortable with the pistol and it tends to hit exactly where I want it to, so it is my "most of the time" carry gun. I keep my .44 Magnum loaded with Winchester 250 gr Platinum Tips which supposedly come out of the barrel at 1250 fps and 867 ft-lbs. While not excessive, the recoil on this round is measurably higher than the .44 Special and followup shots are slower. In addition, the .44 Magnum New Model Super Blackhawk is heavier to tote around than the .44 Special New Model Ruger Blackhawk, and it is not quite as comfortable in my hand.

Even though I am a big fan of Evan Marshall, I do not believe that a handgun bullet type or style wins a gunfight. Hitting the bad guy in a vital area before he shoots you wins gunfights. In other words, shot placement. I think that there is quite a difference between these two loads, but that is not what drives my decision. If I am facing a human target, I will most likely be engaging him with the .44 Special because that is the gun that I have the most confidence in as far as hitting the target quickly. My life depends on my tactics and ability, not the bullet that I use. To be truthful, if I KNEW that I would be facing a bad guy out in the boonies, I would have my FAL, not a handgun.
    I appreciate your replies, however the question is if you only had "one" bullet in your 44 magnum revolver and your life depended on it, would you want it to be the 44 spl. round or the magnum round?
    In America today, it's considered worse to judge evil than to do evil. Never let these Christophobic Liberal Progressive Purveyors of Infanticide & Homosexual Perversion who always manipulate truth to be hate speech set the terms in a debate.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    I love the El Paso Saddlery 'Tom Threepersons' holster. I have ONE that fits both my Colt Python & S&W 686 Plus.
    Yea, I have another for my S&W mod 13. I bought it about 12 yrs ago. I bought the one for my Vaquero last year. I've noticed a big difference in quality from El Paso Saddlery in that time. And they're alot less accommodating than they used to be. Well, those are two guns I'm never gonna get rid of, so I guess I don't need to worry about it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234