Ruger New Vaquero .357 Carry Gun?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger New Vaquero .357 Carry Gun?

Ruger New Vaquero .357 Carry Gun?

My favorite gun is the Ruger New Vaquero in .357/.38 spl. Old west guns have always been a thing of beauty and function to me, and if I could have only one gun it would be an old west single action six shooter. My New Vaquero is easily carried and easy to conceal wearing any winter clothing, open carry is sweet in the summer months, when I get the bug. Wanted to start this thread to see how many others out there feel as I do, and compare notes. My Vaquero is accurate with both 125gr, & 158gr., and the re-coil is a piece of cake, love the stock grips. My carry rounds are GDHP .38 spl. +P with 19 158 gr. 357 Hydra-Shok carried on belt for back up. I'm sure there are a few die hard SAA lovers out there like myself, if so, lets hear from you.
    But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel that is different from the one we preached to you, may he be condemned to HELL!
    (Galatians 1:8)

Well, I'll tell ya! I love Crank and Yanks. They are fun to shoot and are nastolgic in every sense of the word. However, I am not a fan of carrying them for self defense or CCW. BUT..... (everybody's got a big But) I will say this much. I know some guys (and girls) that shoot Cowboy Action Competition, and are total monsters with a Single Action Revolver. So if you shoot a Crank and Yank on a regular basis, and are fast enough with it and hit well, then what the hell! I personally would carry two if I was carrying it for defense, as kind of a New York reload. But I do occasionally carry one in the woods, and I have a couple of BIG BORE single actions I carry for hunting or when I visit the swamps, for Wild Boars. I personally believe that if you are going to carry a Single Action, that they only come in a cowboy mans caliber like 44 Special or 45 Colt. That's the rules. So like I said, what the hell!!!!
    There's Something Goin' On Here, and it Ain't Funny!!!

4. I've been shooting single actions for almost 20 years and competing in Cowboy Action Shooting matches for over 10 years but a single action revolver is my next to LAST choice of concealed carry firearm (a single action cap and ball revolver comes in last place). Yes, they can be shot fast but I'm not going to intentionally put myself in a self defense situation with one by relying on it as a primary self defense gun. There is a plethora of far superior designs (as in easier and faster to use and manipulate) that are readily available on the market that would be a better choice.

There is no handgun that feels as good as a single-action. When you pick up a SA it just fits. I open carry so I don't have to worry about concealment. But I must admit I seldon carry a SA due to the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    I started this thread to find out if there were any who felt the same way as I do, not hear about or debate anyone's reasons to the contrary.
    Ringo, I like the Vaquero. Carry what ever firearm you want. I have been known to carry a .22 LR pistol sometimes. It's a personal choice. The only problem with the Vaquero is finding a holster that will conceal under a jacket. I have a Vaquero in .45 lc. I am tempted to carry mexican style, but with my luck, something bad will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    Ringo, I like the Vaquero. Carry what ever firearm you want. I have been known to carry a .22 LR pistol sometimes. It's a personal choice. The only problem with the Vaquero is finding a holster that will conceal under a jacket. I have a Vaquero in .45 lc. I am tempted to carry mexican style, but with my luck, something bad will happen.
    I have a High Plains Drifter Rig made by Old Trading Post that loops over the belt, not a low slung Hollywood Style. The Vaquero conceals nicely under any wind breaker or a zip up cotton hoody. With the rig I don't notice any difference in the weight of the Vaquero than I do carrying my Sig P220. And like hiwall says, no handgun feels as good as a single action, when you pick one up it just fits.
    But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel that is different from the one we preached to you, may he be condemned to HELL!

8. Check with Bob Mernickle, he makes a holster for single actions that is concealable. Bob's also a world class fast draw competitor, so he knows what fast really is. His stuff ain't cheap but it is top quality.

I started this thread to find out if there were any who felt the same way as I do, not hear about or debate anyone's reasons to the contrary.
    Here you will have to allow for that...
    I don't own one but have had the good fortune to shoot a colt cowboy .45. Kinda fun... Maybe one on each hip... If you open carry it's more fun... Most BGs would think twice about going for the guy with the gun on his hip and most BGs wouldn't be smart enough to know the difference between singe and double action.

Do what makes ya happy...

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    Here you will have to allow for that...
    I don't own one but have had the good fortune to shoot a colt cowboy .45. Kinda fun... Maybe one on each hip... If you open carry it's more fun... Most BGs would think twice about going for the guy with the gun on his hip and most BGs wouldn't be smart enough to know the difference between singe and double action.

Do what makes ya happy...

Peace...
    Sorry, but I don't get it. A gun is a gun, single or double action, dead is dead.

Don't you know that you should never bring up the subject of guns around gun people, if you don't want to hear THEIR opinions. It's like blood in the water!!!!:
    There's Something Goin' On Here, and it Ain't Funny!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast