First concealed carry weapon, making choices... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First concealed carry weapon, making choices...

Wow...

If I could get to shoot any gun at least HALF as good as that guy shot that Glock 19 I'd be real happy. I have friends that are a part of the "Glock religion" so I walked into my purchase thinking I was going to buy a Glock. I'm a person that likes options so I found another one with the XD, then every other gun I handled seemed to feel better in my hand than a Glock. After shooting them there was no way my hands are too small. I have nothing against Glocks I just don't think I'd be able to shoot them well due to their fit to my hand.

I did end up buying that Ruger SR9, price was right, I have always liked the look of stainless steel bi-tone handguns and they had one with a price I could live with. Another friend who has had a CCP for a while now had a Ruger P (90 I think) as his carry gun for a while but has recently switched to a Glock 23. He had good things to say about Ruger in general and I haven't heard horror stories about them like I have some other brands (Taurs). I think the slender grip will not only allow me to shoot it better but will also resolve some of the concealment issues I mentioned in my first post so it was a winner all the way around.

Yes I was leaning DA, wanted striker fired, liked the extra safety's of the XD (Ruger SR9 has a thumb safety). I had heard things about a 1911 that made me think I could have gotten used to one. The thought of 2 different trigger pulls ona SA/DA didn't appeal to me; that's what I REALLY decided I wanted to avoid.

After holding the Ruger SR9 I was comfortable that it would work well for me. I held some S&W too, one was an M&P I think but I still liked the Ruger better after it was all said and done. All the Sig's I saw were a little pricy for me and I was comfortable I could find a good gun for less than the Sig's I was seeing.

I'll have to do the traditional thing for the forum and take some pictures of it to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine Falcon View Post
    ...I did end up buying that Ruger SR9, price was right, I have always liked the look of stainless steel bi-tone handguns and they had one with a price I could live with. Another friend who has had a CCP for a while now had a Ruger P (90 I think) as his carry gun for a while but has recently switched to a Glock 23. He had good things to say about Ruger in general and I haven't heard horror stories about them like I have some other brands (Taurs). I think the slender grip will not only allow me to shoot it better but will also resolve some of the concealment issues I mentioned in my first post so it was a winner all the way around.

...The thought of 2 different trigger pulls ona SA/DA didn't appeal to me; that's what I REALLY decided I wanted to avoid.

After holding the Ruger SR9 I was comfortable that it would work well for me. ...I still liked the Ruger better after it was all said and done.
    Congratulations! You've made a good decision based on what is important to you and that's what really matters. Now, enjoy shooting it and becoming proficient with it.
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life) - GrassRoots GunRights SC

The Ruger is a great weapon, as is the XD and the Glock, and I understand your reasoning for the Ruger, that being said, personaly I would advise for someone new to concealed carry, I would recamend the glock, I have and have had several hand guns both Pistols and Revolvers, and the very most important thing with a carry weapon is that when you pull it from its holster especialy if its in a tense situation, that it go's BOOM, and I dont think I will get any argument that the Glock is without a doubt one of the most reliable firearms there is, true they dont fit everybody, and its most important that it does or at least the shooter is somewhst comfortable with it

Glock...

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
    the very most important thing with a carry weapon is that when you pull it from its holster especialy if its in a tense situation, that it go's BOOM, and I dont think I will get any argument that the Glock is without a doubt one of the most reliable firearms there is, true they dont fit everybody, and its most important that it does or at least the shooter is somewhst comfortable with it
    I really don't disagree with anything you've said. If this thread keeps going I'll see if I can get a picture of what it looks like when I grip a Glock so you can see.

I have a friend who is not new to concealed carry, he also lives out in the country so I took my Ruger to his house w/200 rounds of FMJ to start practicing w/someone who knows what he's doing. We had a good time, he has a Ruger P95 that was one of his main carry guns but he now has a Glock 23 (same frame as Glock 19 in a .40). I showed him where my trigger finger falls when I grip the Glock properly and he agreed that it didn't fit my hand well. I showed him how I ended up having to grip it to feel comfortable pulling the trigger (with only the very tip of my finger, not w/the trigger in the crease) and he shook his head, said you can't hold it like that.

All that to say I do like Glocks from what I ve heard about them for reliability; I just have short fingers and they don't fit my hand. I had a lot of fun shooting my Ruger Saturday...

I own several Ruger revolvers, and they are all top notch quality wise. No first hand experience with the pistol you bought, but while reliability is paramount so is your comfort. If you can't comfortably hold the Glock then there is really no reason to get one. It will only hinder your accuracy, and more importantly detract from the enjoyment you get from shooting it.

It sounds like (and correct me if I'm wrong) you're a relatively inexperienced shooter. It's vital that you are comfortable handling a firearm, so as far as I'm concerned you made the right choice for your first handgun. And in all honestly, I'm not big on Glock's, I find them uncomfortable to hold as well and my hands are slightly larger than average. They're a great reliable gun, but if it doesn't feel right in my hand it has no place being put into a situation where I may depend on it to save my life.
    Accipere quam facere praestat injuriam

I really don't disagree with anything you've said. If this thread keeps going I'll see if I can get a picture of what it looks like when I grip a Glock so you can see.

I have a friend who is not new to concealed carry, he also lives out in the country so I took my Ruger to his house w/200 rounds of FMJ to start practicing w/someone who knows what he's doing. We had a good time, he has a Ruger P95 that was one of his main carry guns but he now has a Glock 23 (same frame as Glock 19 in a .40). I showed him where my trigger finger falls when I grip the Glock properly and he agreed that it didn't fit my hand well. I showed him how I ended up having to grip it to feel comfortable pulling the trigger (with only the very tip of my finger, not w/the trigger in the crease) and he shook his head, said you can't hold it like that.

All that to say I do like Glocks from what I ve heard about them for reliability; I just have short fingers and they don't fit my hand. I had a lot of fun shooting my Ruger Saturday...
    What I ment was, I would recamend a weapon that it the easyest to pick up and shoot, without haveing to remember to switch the safety to fire and rack the first round, if you dont carry with a round chambered, a revolver is the best choice for a beginer, and the Glock would be my first choice, be cause if you kept it loaded, when you pick it up and puill the trigger it will go boom, and would not have had to remember the safety, but all this does not mean just because your gun has a external safety you have to use it

I suggest you buy two pistols. A .22 auto, or revolver for practice. A compact, subcompact, or mousegun for CC.
    In 22. Check out the Ruger, browning, sig, walther autos. TAurus, S&W for wheel guns.

Find something that fits your hands in both.

If you can't hang on to it, you will have your share of problems. Read up on "limp wristing" a pistol.

See if you can find a Glock SF its a little smaller in the grip/trigger area seem to be the ticket for small hands

My wife has small hands and she has no problem holding her Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm with the adjustable back straps 3 in all she uses the smallest one. Also the Springfield XD's come with adjustable back straps as I recall. In the end though it comes down to what will work for you. I carry large handguns for concealed carry because I am a large guy, with large hands so small guns don't do it for me. Sometimes you have to stop listening to the gun shop geeks and listen to the old timers on this subject, they usually know best. One final note, if you haven't taken the class yet, wait and ask the instructor. Hope you find what you need.

Glockster20 my hat's off to you! Boy can you shoot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast