Is the .380 auto enough Gun? - Page 10

View Poll Results: Is the .380 auto in your opinion, enough gun?

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES It's enough for me

105 61.05%
  • NO It's not enough for me

53 30.81%
  • Not sure or No opinion...

14 8.14%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Is the .380 auto enough Gun?

In the heat of the summer here in Texas, a 380 is the only thing I can carry comfortably, so I have to make do. Hopefully, I could shoot it accurately if need be. My thinking is that a triple tap with such a small gun may be necessary, so that's how I practice when shooting with it. In cooler weather, it becomes the BUG, but even then my primary is only a snubbie 38 with plus P's.

Rise from the dead...

Is the .380 auto enough Gun?-ppp.jpg

I feel VERY COMFORTABLE with my everyday carry .380

concealability and comfort is #1 to me for a conceal carry weapon and to me there is nothing more comfortable than this. Yes i have a .45 at home but that stays HOME........

5. I've been puzzling over this since the last 2 months when I got my CCW. I have been told that my Bersa Thunder 380 is "just the right size for me", (i.e. for a small women) by my husband, and two other males. I only bought the 380 because my CC instructor had a definite preference for semi-auto's over revolvers. I've never fired the 380. I don't like it. I carry my S&W .357 because I've shot it since 1996 and my Colt Python since 1988 and I feel comfortable with them. I don't feel confident with a semi-auto; I have trouble racking the slide and I've had two semi-auto's jam on me. I don't see why it seems so important to the men in my life for me to carry a semi as opposed to my revolver. I'd love to hear some replies from some of you here about this. Just my two cent's worth. Thanks for letting me blow off a little steam. If there is some reason that I'd be better off carrying the .380 I will be open-minded to all posts.

6. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your revolvers. I think men just feel macho racking a slide. I would trust a revolver over a semi auto any day. The biggest bonus is magazine size however and a quicker reload

Only if you're James Bond!!!!! Lol

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by petitelady View Post
    I've been puzzling over this since the last 2 months when I got my CCW. I have been told that my Bersa Thunder 380 is "just the right size for me", (i.e. for a small women) by my husband, and two other males. I only bought the 380 because my CC instructor had a definite preference for semi-auto's over revolvers. I've never fired the 380. I don't like it. I carry my S&W .357 because I've shot it since 1996 and my Colt Python since 1988 and I feel comfortable with them. I don't feel confident with a semi-auto; I have trouble racking the slide and I've had two semi-auto's jam on me. I don't see why it seems so important to the men in my life for me to carry a semi as opposed to my revolver. I'd love to hear some replies from some of you here about this. Just my two cent's worth. Thanks for letting me blow off a little steam. If there is some reason that I'd be better off carrying the .380 I will be open-minded to all posts.
    If you are more comfortable with revolvers then revolvers are for you. Don't let anyone tell you differently. :-)
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

JSDinTexas Guest
    The never-ending discussion of caliber uncovers one common idea; the bigger the better seems to prevail. But when answering a question like this, let's start with the basics:
    Why carry? To defend myself
    Against what? Any contingency
    What's the worst case senario? A 300lb dude on PCP wearing four layers of winter clothing? And could there be worse than this such as multiple attackers in a home invasion? And the possibilities seem endless, like when I was charged by an Elk in Yellowstone years ago where a .50 would have been nice - I can still hear those thundering hoves.

So how do we reach an answer?
    Maybe we could put an "Effective Percent" on each caliber. Meaning what percent of the time would a particular caliber be adequate? And let's ignore the cliches like 'shot placement' and 'somethings better than nothing' although both are universally valid.

Using this percent scale, it seems reasonable to assume the .22 is a lower effective percent than the .380, which is lower than the .40, which is lower than the .45, which is lower than ... well you get the idea.

And is there such a thing as too big or too much? I wouldn't enjoy trying to conceal carry a Dirty Harry gun all day long although a .44 Magnum would register a very high percentage.

So the answer is - there is no answer. But seriously consider, if a .22 has, say, a 20% effective factor, it will only save you 1 out of every 5 times, not so good in my opinion. the percentage test seems to indicate the bigger the better, which is what we all knew in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by JSDinTexas:236202
    The never-ending discussion of caliber uncovers one common idea; the bigger the better seems to prevail. But when answering a question like this, let's start with the basics:
    Why carry? To defend myself
    Against what? Any contingency
    What's the worst case senario? A 300lb dude on PCP wearing four layers of winter clothing? And could there be worse than this such as multiple attackers in a home invasion? And the possibilities seem endless, like when I was charged by an Elk in Yellowstone years ago where a .50 would have been nice - I can still hear those thundering hoves.

So how do we reach an answer?
    Maybe we could put an "Effective Percent" on each caliber. Meaning what percent of the time would a particular caliber be adequate? And let's ignore the cliches like 'shot placement' and 'somethings better than nothing' although both are universally valid.

Using this percent scale, it seems reasonable to assume the .22 is a lower effective percent than the .380, which is lower than the .40, which is lower than the .45, which is lower than ... well you get the idea.

And is there such a thing as too big or too much? I wouldn't enjoy trying to conceal carry a Dirty Harry gun all day long although a .44 Magnum would register a very high percentage.

So the answer is - there is no answer. But seriously consider, if a .22 has, say, a 20% effective factor, it will only save you 1 out of every 5 times, not so good in my opinion. the percentage test seems to indicate the bigger the better, which is what we all knew in the first place.
    Shot placement is not only valid, it trumps caliber by a ton. Say you do use percentage, .22 = 20%, .45 = 50%. If you can't handle a .45, miss ever time, you now have a percentage of 0%.

Also, since the .22 & 9mm are the most common caliber, which rack up the most deaths in the world, why would their percentages be lower?

Anything bigger than a .32 will do. Any large caliber firearms are great for stopping power but the difference cheaper ammo and chiropractor visits equals out.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast