Is the .380 auto enough Gun? - Page 11

View Poll Results: Is the .380 auto in your opinion, enough gun?

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES It's enough for me

105 61.05%
  • NO It's not enough for me

53 30.81%
  • Not sure or No opinion...

14 8.14%
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Is the .380 auto enough Gun?

JSDinTexas Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Shot placement is not only valid, it trumps caliber by a ton. Say you do use percentage, .22 = 20%, .45 = 50%. If you can't handle a .45, miss ever time, you now have a percentage of 0%.

Also, since the .22 & 9mm are the most common caliber, which rack up the most deaths in the world, why would their percentages be lower?
    I don't think majority is valid here. I was eliminating the variables like shot placement and this strictly unscientific observation is based on the ballistics of the round only. A .22 obviously doesn't do as much damage as a 10mm in the same situation.
    And I think you answered your own question - most popular gun and most deaths would seem to go hand in hand, but would not speak to actual effectiveness necessarily.

Quote Originally Posted by tuts40 View Post
    If you are more comfortable with revolvers then revolvers are for you. Don't let anyone tell you differently. :-)
    When you find a pistol or revolver you are comfortable with, buy it and practice often. While I prefer my 1911s, I often carry a S&W 442 during warm weather.

Ah my mistake about linking the commonality of a round with the effective percentage.

Still, placement over size. Effectiveness is based on what you hit, not just that you hit something. 1 round to the CNS or heart is 100% effective, irregardless of caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by JSDinTexas View Post
    I don't think majority is valid here. I was eliminating the variables like shot placement and this strictly unscientific observation is based on the ballistics of the round only. A .22 obviously doesn't do as much damage as a 10mm in the same situation.
    And I think you answered your own question - most popular gun and most deaths would seem to go hand in hand, but would not speak to actual effectiveness necessarily.
    A hit with a .22 does more damage than a miss with a flamethower.

6. I still don't understand the basis behind this argument. It really all comes down to what you are willing to tote around with you and what caliber you can handle single handed

Ladies and Gentlemen, here is the bottom line. The firearm must be comfortable to carry and if used the
    effective shot must hit a vital organ regardless of the caliber. Personally I feel that the 380 auto
    is the smallest that could be effective if the proper shot placement is achieved.
    Pat Olvey, Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hamilton County
    email [email protected]

JSDinTexas Guest

An Apology

Let me apologize to all since it appears I did not make my post clear and understandable.
    I was trying to say simply that the bigger the caliber the more assured the results, all things being equal. Yes, one MUST HIT the target, obviously. But it seems logical that better effect is acheived when hitting the target with a .45 than with a .380 (I am not saying here that a .380 wouldn't do the job).

And I think Ohio Pat and Cotillion may have summed it up better, in that no matter what you carry, know how to use it.

9. .380

It depends on what your comfortable with and can shoot well and accurate. If you can shoot a .380 accurately it will be very effective. If you shoot someone in ticker or CNS (central nervous system), no matter what the caliber, they are going to the ground. Hope this helped.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011