Is the .380 auto enough Gun? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Is the .380 auto in your opinion, enough gun?

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES It's enough for me

105 61.05%
  • NO It's not enough for me

53 30.81%
  • Not sure or No opinion...

14 8.14%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the .380 auto enough Gun?

I carry a .380 loadied with 102gr Remington Golden Sabers whenever the clothing I am wearing won't permit me to carry a 45 or a 357SIG. Shot placement is as important as the size of the pills. At the very least, the .380 will make'em leak!
    I know a man by the name of Mel;
    he can't see but he sure do smell.

I'm not sure a .380 is enough. The thug you encounter as a CCW holder is likely to be high on drugs and not readily perceiving pain. These individuals can laugh off pepper spray and unless the bullet hits the spinal cord or heart they can often keep going long enough to do you serious bodily harm even though they are "dead and don't know it yet". I think the bigger the caliber the better - except for maybe a five-seven.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

Here are a couple ballistics test on the 380.

terminal 380 acp

.380ACP

For a long list of different test look at this.

KTOG Forum - Links to .380 Ammo Tests
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Depends. You're begging the question: Enough for what?

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    I'm not sure a .380 is enough. The thug you encounter as a CCW holder is likely to be high on drugs and not readily perceiving pain. These individuals can laugh off pepper spray and unless the bullet hits the spinal cord or heart they can often keep going long enough to do you serious bodily harm even though they are "dead and don't know it yet". I think the bigger the caliber the better - except for maybe a five-seven.
    I have been carrying a handgun open and concealed for 20 years. I have yet to come across the drug crazed maniacs that I hear so much about. Where do people live that the zombies are so darn prevalent? Heck, I even spent 28 days in post Katrina NOLA (starting on labor day 2005) and I haven't seen a zombie yet.

Quote Originally Posted by NcPermit View Post
    I have been carrying a handgun open and concealed for 20 years. I have yet to come across the drug crazed maniacs that I hear so much about. Where do people live that the zombies are so darn prevalent? Heck, I even spent 28 days in post Katrina NOLA (starting on labor day 2005) and I haven't seen a zombie yet.
    I guess it only takes one, huh? My Bro-in-law was a Dallas cop years ago and dealt with a guy that couldn't feel any pain like this.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    Depends. You're begging the question: Enough for what?
    To make you feel like you're covered. I'm looking for personal feeling and opinion. What do you think? Does it work for you?

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

I do own an older PPK/S .380 (pre S&W) and it's a wonderful shooter but my carry guns are a PPS40 (180 gr. JHP) and XD45 Compact (230 gr. JHP). If the chips are down I'd rather face trouble with a major caliber (9X19 and up). I grew up as a hunter and it's important to hit an animal in a vital area but it's also good to have a bullet with enough punch to bring it down in a hurry. I'd use the .380 if I had to but I'd rather have a bigger hammer to stop a bad guy.

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    I guess it only takes one, huh? My Bro-in-law was a Dallas cop years ago and dealt with a guy that couldn't feel any pain like this.
    I do know they exist, but I know if I stay away from certain places, the chance for me to encounter a zombie is decreased.

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    To make you feel like you're covered. I'm looking for personal feeling and opinion. What do you think? Does it work for you?

Peace...
    My carry pistols are a 9mm and a .45 semi-automatic pistols. For close encounters of the coyote, stray dog, or bobcat kind, I think they would work just fine. Whether or not any firearm is coverage enough for self defense would surely depend upon the situation.

I've really not done a whole lot of research, but IMHO,* and giving my best SWAG,* it seems to reason that the range and stopping power are greater with the these two, or even with a .40 semi-automatic pistol, with their longer barrels, larger bullets, and differing grain measurements over my .380s.

The following 3 paragraphs are from this site:
    9mm Versus .380 ACP For Self-Defense
    by **** Metcalf, Technical Editor, Shooting Times
    "The .380 is simply not in the same performance class as the 9mm..."

"Some have argued that in the very short barrels (in the 3.0- to 3.25-inch range) typically found on small pistols, the apparent ballistic advantage of the longer case 9mm is canceled and the two loads' performances are essentially the same. ...

"The .380 ACP is nothing other than a short 9mm (its German name, in fact, 9mm Kurtz, literally translates as 9mm Short), and like the .22 Short in relation to the .22 Long Rifle, or even the .38 Special in relation to the .357 Magnum, the shorter cartridge has only a portion of the authority of the longer 9mm. ...

"Overall, the 9mm provides a 40 percent greater wounding effectiveness (based on wound channel surface area) than does the .380. When equivalent bullet designs in the two cartridges are compared directly (for example, the Winchester SXTs and Remington Golden Sabers), the distinction is obvious. The .380 is simply not in the same performance class as the 9mm, even though the subjective experience of firing the two pistols is very much the same. ..."

Back to my thoughts.

If a .380 is really just a "shorter" version of the 9mm, and if the 9mm provides for a greater wounding effectiveness" for self defense, would not also the .40 and a .45 provide for a greater wounding effectiveness than the .380?

I'm sure there are other arguments for all the firearms and their respective "projectiles" for grain, weight, and performance; for the weight of individual firearms for comfort of carry, (heavy v light;) and for the overall sizes and lengths of each for ease of concealment, (small/short v large/long.)

However, IDK if any of them would be "enough" defense to feel "covered" against a BG high on PCP when they don't feel anything at all, or a BG shooting at me from a great distance as from a university tower, or a BG who "goes off" as did the Beltway Sniper from the Washington DC area.

We used to hear on the Los Angeles area news where BGs were shot multiple times by police, but then they kept on coming, "running dead," charging toward officers, out of control, stripping off their clothes, ranting and raving, on PCP, commonly known as Angel Dust, or on something else.

In these types of cases, what most people CC or OC might not be good enough for ANYONE'S defense. We all just take our chances and hedge our bets the best we can that we prevail in our self defense efforts against the BGs.

Like we used to say years ago when we heard the Friday morning, 10 am sirens in L.A., CA., "If a "nuke" (or in this case, a high-powered, long-range bullet) ever came my way then that's the time that I could just bend over and kiss my arse goodbye."

IMHO - in my humble opinion
    SWAG - scientific wild arse guess
    Last edited by gdcleanfun; 02-19-2010 at 11:59 AM. Reason: typos again, always the typos lol

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast