Is the .380 auto enough Gun? - Page 7

View Poll Results: Is the .380 auto in your opinion, enough gun?

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES It's enough for me

105 61.05%
  • NO It's not enough for me

53 30.81%
  • Not sure or No opinion...

14 8.14%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the .380 auto enough Gun?

Like Massad Ayoob says (paraphrased) - better to have a .380 in your pocket than a .45 at your house.

Personally my EDC is an LCP with Golden Sabers in a pocket holster. When I can carry more it is either a Kahr PM9 or a S&W Model 60 on the belt. I have considered getting something a little larger (Glock in .40 perhaps - which ever one is the size of the 19) but current financial conditions make that investment fiscally irresponsible at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
    Like Massad Ayoob says (paraphrased) - better to have a .380 in your pocket than a .45 at your house.

Personally my EDC is an LCP with Golden Sabers in a pocket holster. When I can carry more it is either a Kahr PM9 or a S&W Model 60 on the belt. I have considered getting something a little larger (Glock in .40 perhaps - which ever one is the size of the 19) but current financial conditions make that investment fiscally irresponsible at this time.
    Hey SC, the model your looking for is the G-23 its the compact or mid size 40, very good choice, small enough to conceal but plenty of power

I missed the poll, but IMO the .380 is enough is most situations. The main problem with the .380 is and always be the round count. Due to the mouse gun concept, it'll be sold as a deep concealment option and therefor be largely available in the single stack/pocket pistol format, but the high capacity models will be few and far between. IMO, a quality .380 that was sporting a 12 to 13 round capacity would be a good concealed carry option. I know I'd carry one as a primary in a second. Some will say why not go to a higher caliber? For one thing weight, and the other; I imagine the .380 round would lend itself to a smaller form factor. IMO, BIgger is better, but when bigger becomes a problem or a pain, there's nothing wrong with relying on the .380 for support. For me the .380 is a 80% BUG and a 20% primary. I use my surroundings and odds of trouble to decide how to apply the percentages. YMMV.

GTF
    What in tarnations goin on in America these days. Dagnabbit, "CHANGE" what "Change" I say Change it back! I'm clinging to bible and my guns. Try to take either and you're liable to get blasted.

I missed this poll too. I would have to have voted yes, as I just recently purchased an LCP to occasionally serve as a primary when pocket carry is my only option (i.e. around the house with no shirt, or with a tucked in shirt). I came into the CC world thinking that bigger bullets kill deader and bigger guns yield better accuracy. I am fast coming to the realization that (A) the odds that I would need to be accurate outside 5-7 yards are far less than within that range, and (B) unless you hit the head or spinal cord, there is no one-shot-stop caliber. However, I think most calibers are seven-shot-stoppers, which is mighty convenient because that's how many rounds I can pack into the LCP.

I do still carry the G33 whenever I'm able, mostly because I can draw it from the hip faster than the LCP from the pocket. In that case, the LCP is the BUG.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun tote'n freak View Post
    The main problem with the .380 is and always be the round count. Due to the mouse gun concept, it'll be sold as a deep concealment option and therefor be largely available in the single stack/pocket pistol format, but the high capacity models will be few and far between.
    Extra mags.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by fcs25 View Post
    The .380 is enough gun if you practice and can hit your target in a critical area.Bullet placement is by far more important then the caliber of the bullet.
    I like this post. It also brings me to mention that if you're going to rely on a lesser caliber, like the .380, it's my opinion that a little extra should be spent on good, high-quality, proven ammunition. If the ballistics are questionable, pay for more reliable ammo that consistently performs the way you want it to. I HATE the prices I've seen on 'em, but I love that there's good "pre-programmed" hollow-pts out there, that don't fragment and consistently spread. Just a lil something to ponder.
    Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics...

well in my opinion, i look first look at ammo selection. it has came along way in the past 15 or so years and this caliber to me is like the .38 special. many years ago it wasnt that great but in the past several years we have seen a lot of great ammunition come about to produce very effective stopping power and decrease over penetration in many of these calibers. id carry one with the right ammo. but its like i tell my cousin who thinks all guns are not accurate, or effective: go stand at the end of the driveway and let me shoot at you and we'll see how effective and accurate some of these weapons can be.
    "You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."

Final poll results:

YES It's enough for me: 105 61.05%
    NO It's not enough for me: 53 30.81%
    Not sure or No opinion...: 14 8.14%

The Aye's have it... Well except for me. I got a really sweet deal on a M&P40c so... Perhaps in the future a .380...

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

9. I love my LCP. It goes great with my blue carpenter jeans and black Ruger shirt. I think it also matches well with my tan button up.

I wouldn't want to attack anyone who I suspected had one in their pocket.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

I do not really like the .380 (or the short barrel .38 Special) as a primary weapon. I usually carry a Glock 21SF and have a Beretta 8357 near the bed. However, I think that the .380 is better than nothing, and I would much rather carry a good, high quality .380 than some of the micro 9mm junk that is out there today. Also, Evan Marshal's data shows that the .380 with the right ammunition out performs any load fired out of a 2" .38 Special, yet on some forums the 2" .38 Special is lauded and the .380 is not allowed to be discussed. Some people think that a woman is better off raped and killed than to carry a "mouse gun". I am not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    Never take a gun to a gunfight that does not start with the number 4!

Make mine a 45!
    Tell that to the officer who was killed in my town last week by a 16 year old with a .380. He was shot 4 times in the torso and died. The officer had a glock .45 and never hit the kid even though he fired 6 shots. This officer was a heavy set man and did not have a vest on. If he did he would be with us today.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast