Is the .380 auto enough Gun? - Page 9

View Poll Results: Is the .380 auto in your opinion, enough gun?

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES It's enough for me

105 61.05%
  • NO It's not enough for me

53 30.81%
  • Not sure or No opinion...

14 8.14%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Is the .380 auto enough Gun?

380 auto

The basic thought with the 380 as well as the 9mm is shot placement.

In those critical seconds after shots have been fired against an assailant who is trying to take your life will always remain-- how quickly will the aggressor stop his attack.

I would love to carry a lightweight 45 cal pocket pistol but to my knowledge they do not exist.

The smallest of the pocket pistols that I am familiar with are the kel tec 380 and ruger 380, the smallest 38 spec is the model 642.

You do not have the time to do anything except aim at the assailant and pull the trigger, everything is from muscle memory.

There is a narrow area extending from the head to the torso that needs to be hit with a bullet to perform the feat that will stop the aggressor the fastest.

Again, bottom line shot placement and the 380 should work.

Hope this helps

Pat Olvey
    Email [email protected]
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hamilton County

Quote Originally Posted by ohio pat View Post
    The basic thought with the 380 as well as the 9mm is shot placement.

In those critical seconds after shots have been fired against an assailant who is trying to take your life will always remain-- how quickly will the aggressor stop his attack.

I would love to carry a lightweight 45 cal pocket pistol but to my knowledge they do not exist.

The smallest of the pocket pistols that I am familiar with are the kel tec 380 and ruger 380, the smallest 38 spec is the model 642.

You do not have the time to do anything except aim at the assailant and pull the trigger, everything is from muscle memory.

There is a narrow area extending from the head to the torso that needs to be hit with a bullet to perform the feat that will stop the aggressor the fastest.

Again, bottom line shot placement and the 380 should work.

Hope this helps

Pat Olvey
    Email [email protected]
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hamilton County
    I'm surprised you haven't read up on High Standard's AMT .45 Backup. It is an all steel 5+1 DAO pistol, it has a 2.5" barrel. The gun is slightly less than six inches long, four inches high, slightly less than an inch thick at the slide, and weighs 24oz. The gun has no sights and had a 12lb trigger pull, but that is why it's called a "backup".
    MSgt, USAF (ret), Life Member - NRA, Life Member - NAHC,
    Life Member - NCOA, Member - USCCA, Member - NCGR,
    Member - Oathkeepers

Thumbs down .380 isn't "gangsta" enough

A .380 isn't "gangsta" enough. Carry a Nine or a Fourty-five, preferably a Browning Hi-power or a 1911. Always refer to a sidearm in 9mm as a "Nine" because it sounds gangsta, just like all 1911's should be refered to as a "Fourty-five" reguardless of actual caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hamberger View Post
    I'm surprised you haven't read up on High Standard's AMT .45 Backup. It is an all steel 5+1 DAO pistol, it has a 2.5" barrel. The gun is slightly less than six inches long, four inches high, slightly less than an inch thick at the slide, and weighs 24oz. The gun has no sights and had a 12lb trigger pull, but that is why it's called a "backup".
    E
    I have heard of and held the amt backup, IMHO it is too heavy for a pocket pistol. The pistol has been around for years. Gun show dealers are always happy to get rid of them.

24 ounces in a front pocket is too much for me. It appears that you do not carry a pocket pistol daily.

Thanks for your kind input.

Pat Olvey
    email [email protected]
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hamilton County

I have heard of and held the amt backup, IMHO it is too heavy for a pocket pistol. The pistol has been around for years. Gun show dealers are always happy to get rid of them.
    Yeah and it's lack of any real sites seems a little bit too "gangsta" for me. I prefer to aim and actually hit what I am shooting at.

E

24 ounces in a front pocket is too much for me. It appears that you do not carry a pocket pistol daily.

Thanks for your kind input.

Pat Olvey
    email [email protected]
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hamilton County
    Yes I do, daily... it is my TCP... I also have carried my 709 in my left front pocket, but I always have my TCP in an up front pocket.
    MSgt, USAF (ret), Life Member - NRA, Life Member - NAHC,
    Life Member - NCOA, Member - USCCA, Member - NCGR,
    Member - Oathkeepers

8. I carry a Sig P232 stainless as my primary. I qualified expert in the Army MP's with an old beat up 45 1911. Shot placement is critical in public and especially in your home. I can see a 45 caliber bullet flying through a wall and hitting a non intended target. My P232 is a very accurate pistol, easy to carry and I never met anyone who was willing to take a .380 round to prove it wasn't enough power to stop someone. Really!

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Yeah and it's lack of any real sites seems a little bit too "gangsta" for me. I prefer to aim and actually hit what I am shooting at.
    In a real time confrontation, I doubt you will have time to "AIM" at your assailant, He will probably be coming at you with gun drawn, you will be better off with "point & shoot" to catch him wherever you can. A double tap to the chest area will stop him in his tracks at least temporarily, then the third shot "aimed" to the head will end it. I practice this scenario often with my LCP. Not my EDC, but I do carry it when neccessray, & feel confident it will work.

Go to the Hornady website and wAtch the demo video for the 380 critical defense round. Plenty of power and penetration. Combined with shot placement, it can be very effective. Personally, I prefer a larger caliber for a wider wound channel and more shock. But the gun you carry is better than the one you don't.

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    "Is the .380 enough gun?" Yes. ...IMHO.
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast