Pocket .380 roundup

View Poll Results: Which .380 pocket rocket do you think is best?

Voters
180. You may not vote on this poll
  • Diamondback DB380

10 5.56%
  • IMI "Micro" Desert Eagle

5 2.78%
  • Kahr P380

16 8.89%
  • Kel-Tec PTA3

30 16.67%
  • North American Arms "Guardian"

0 0%
  • Ruger LCP

55 30.56%
  • Sig Sauer P238

31 17.22%
  • Smith & Wesson "Bodyguard"

12 6.67%
  • Taurus PT738 "TCP"

9 5.00%
  • Bersa Thunder

23 12.78%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket .380 roundup

Pocket .380 roundup

For over a year now, the .380 ACP has been flying off the shelves faster than it can be produced. I would like to know who here has what and why. We all know there are those that won't carry anything smaller than a 9mm, .40 or .45, so let's keep the thread on topic with handgun type and caliber. "Pocket" .380 semi-autos. Okay... Here are the questions... Which one do you have and why? Is it affordability, reliability, weight, ease of carry, etc..etc..??

1. Diamondback DB380
    2. IMI Micro Desert Eagle
    3. Kahr P380
    4. Kel-Tec P3AT
    5. North American Arms "Guardian" .380
    6. Ruger LCP
    7. Sig Sauer P238
    8. Smith & Wesson "Bodyguard" .380
    9. Taurus PT738 aka "TCP"

Your poll and text don't quite match up.. The poll is the Best, and the text is why do you have the gun that you do.. We can't all afford to buy the best...

My wife chose the P238 Sig..
    It came down to size and quality within a certain price range..
    I would think that the Kahr or the DE would be high on the list, but are more $$$.

My wife chose the P238 because something like the Kel-Tec is just too small..
    Here is what I mean by that..
    Hey, if you have a safe full of guns, then something like the Kel-tec is great because it fits nicely in a pocket. However, if you only have a few guns and you actually want to do some shooting with your pocket rocket, (because you don't have a big selection to choose from in your safe) then the K-T is just too small to do much shooting with.. The P238 is just a little bit bigger, but makes a big difference if you are going to do some shooting at the range with it..

She has been very happy with the gun so far, it's just the ammo availability and $$$ of the ammo that is the issue at this point..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

I chose two, the P-A3T and the Kahr 380. I have a Kel-Tec and use is as my BUG most of the time. It works, goes bang every time, reliable and accurate for its size. The Kahr 380 is my next on the list buy. If I can ever find one...
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Safety Harbor, Florida since 2006 Waterloo, New York before 2006.
    We have two 380's Mine is a Sig P238 Equinox and my wife has a Ruger LCP w/Crimson Trace. She has her LCP for sale. I have ordered a Sig P238 Rainbow for her.

Quote Originally Posted by HootmonSccy View Post
    Your poll and text don't quite match up.. The poll is the Best, and the text is why do you have the gun that you do.. We can't all afford to buy the best...
    Perhaps I should have put it differently in the poll.. "which is your favorite?".

Well My wife's is not on the list but she carry's the Besra 380 thunder Bi-ton with Crimson trace grips on it great little firearm.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    Well My wife's is not on the list but she carry's the Besra 380 thunder Bi-ton with Crimson trace grips on it great little firearm.
    Sorry Bersa "Thunder" folks... I knew I would probably forget a couple... The poll allows for 10 selections so I could have easily added the Bersa... My bad.

9. I can't really comment on the "best" or even "favorite" because I haven't handled them all. I do own a Ruger LCP and like it very much. It was affordable and hides comfortably in my pocket without any sharp edges to snag on the way out. It shoots well and I've had no problems with it at all.
    Somewhat off topic, I also have a Russian Makarov chambered for .380, which is a great compact size carry pistol.
    Slow is Steady
    Steady is Fast

10. Things to consider....

While I originally wanted a true "pocket rocket", such as P3AT or LCP, I decided against them for several reasons. First off, their chambers both do not fully surround the base of the cartridge, and shooting a hot Corbon, Mag-Safe, Buffalo-Bore or Extreme Shock +P will prompt a cartridge bursting, and subsequently blow the action apart on these small pieces. Hence, warnings by both manufacturers to shoot only standard pressure rounds. While I don't mind the smaller .380 round as a better concealed or deep carry, by God, my pistol better be able to shoot the +P or +P+ rounds in self defense, or I'm wasting my time, and should go back to my 9mm, however impractical it may be for deep carry. Also, consider the fact that you're touching off a small controlled explosion, upwards of 20, 000 psi in your hands, and the subsequent recoil force that WILL challenge that two-fingered grip for all it's worth, not to mention making accurate rapid -fire follow-up shots and double-taps extremely challenging, regardless of how you may not want to believe it. Don't get me wrong....these guns are popular, have a market, and a following that loves 'em, and more power to them. But the issues above never seem to get mentioned and addressed in entirety, and they need to be to inform the not so saavy shooters out there. Like I said, I prefer their size...definitely! By I will make a compromise in weight, size and design features to be SAFE, EFFECTIVE and ACCURATE under pressure. While I would love a Sig, Kahr or Colt pony, I can't afford them. I ended up with a Bersa 380CC, and while it's not for everyone, it covers all the bases for me. It will eat any brand ammo up to and including +p+, all day long, recoil is minimal and very controllable with a three finger grip, and added weight of a metal frame (aluminum), and followup shots are very consistantly accurate, thanks to the stiffness and weight of the metal frame coupled with a 4+ # single action trigger which brings the barrel back to point of aim quickly. It is slightly larger, twice the weight of the "mouseguns", but I still manage to conceal quite well, and am grateful for the strength/weight factor and smoothness of shooting. And as shooting is very enjoyable, I spend a LOT more time practicing, and keeping up with controlled, rapid accurate firing habits. It IS a compromise, one I'm more than willing to make. If I ever have to draw on a BG, I am confident that I AM going to stop him with the hottest round available, wherever I point the barrel, and do it multiple times accurately and quickly, despite struggling with the sudden adrenalin dump that the situation provokes. And that is something I can't guarantee if I had a smaller gun. You can only go so small, before you start to sacrifice critical factors. If the above issues don't bother you, and you have have a mousegun such as P3at or LCP, Guardian, Seecamp etc.....great! Despite their limitations, they are still fine pieces for those who love 'em. If you are an amateur in the gun arena, try them all out if possible, from the smallest on up, and make your own informed decision, but keep in mind the issues I have mentioned above, and choose what is best for YOU. Again, you're holding, trying to control AND direct up to 20,000 psi in force, and do it safely and accurately in a very small package.........Common Sense and logic MUST prevail !! Thanks for letting me babble folks. Angus

11. Re: Pocket .380 roundup

DE Micro. Love it and its heavy enough to remember where i put it on my body but small enough to conceal deep. I like the trigger despite all of the nay sayers. In the event i would need to pull the trigger, the stress level would play into the pull and prevent accidental discharge.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast