best gun for a woman? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: best gun for a woman?

1. Quote Originally Posted by RightArmOfWyoming View Post
    I'd recommend going to a range that rents guns and trying a few different models/types. One will "speak" to you.

MWD
    +1

What your significant other likes doesn't matter. What I like doesn't matter. What the numbnut behind the pawn shop counter -who, by the way, is a complete tool and you should trust his opinion on guns like you would on child birth or nuclear physics- thinks is irrelevant.

What 'feels' right to you (grip size, balance, recoil management, ...) is what you need to buy. Maybe it's a little .32 auto, maybe it's a 3" .357 revolver or a Government model .45. You won't know until you go try some guns out.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've seen some husband/boyfriend drag a woman into a gun shop to 'buy her a gun' and the lady obviously wants nothing to do with it. Either that or he ends up buying her some little .22 or .25 or a 5 shot .38 because he "thinks" a bigger gun would be too tough for her. Six months or a year later he comes in wanting to sell it back because she won't carry it or shoot it.

With a gun they pick out and like, women usually become better shooters quicker, because they often have less preconceptions and ego about being taught a new skill. Whereas men tend to revert to the same thing that makes them not look at a map when lost.

MWD
    Right Arm of Wyoming - RKBA rock and roll.
    http://www.rightarmofwyoming.com

4. Quote Originally Posted by cherishbarnwell View Post
    I DO NOT want a revolver. Everyone keeps saying that's what I should get though.
    Oh no no no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Just because anybody else likes gun "A"....has absolutely no bearing on how it will feel in your hands. If it's not comfortable, or doesn't "feel right" you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it..... in that case, carry a ball bat, and save some money.
    When I first decided to learn to shoot and to carry, a snubby revolver was pushed on me, too.
    I hate it. I rarely "practiced" with it because it was NO FUN TO SHOOT.
    Then I was introduced to the 1911. And to Jay. He erased all the previous bad instruction I'd gotten, taught me grip/stance/all that jazz, and now I shoot/carry a .45 AND LOVE IT.
    Please don't let someone push something on you that you won't enjoy shooting or like Jay says, "you won't practice with it"...and that could mean your life some day.
    Now...go try on some shoes...I mean guns.

I"m not sure why it is that so many folks suggest that a safety is a bad thing, unless it's a mindless device. I've carried 1911-style firearms for over 30 years, and never had an issue with a mechanical safety. The safety on my 1911 has been around for a long time....trouble free.....

It's personal preference.....like shoes.
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

Safety are good, on semi-autos. But non-"gun people" seem to have a problem with doing more than drawing and pulling the trigger under stress. I've also heard of people hitting the mag release by accident while fumbling for the safety under stress. Revolvers don't have mag releases or a safety, so they're kind of "no brainer" guns, and the long trigger pull is the "safety."

MWD
    Right Arm of Wyoming - RKBA rock and roll.
    http://www.rightarmofwyoming.com

You know my first reaction to this thread is "so you are a woman--so what". From what I have read, women make better shooters than men. Outside of pretty pink handles and painted firearms, its up to each woman to try many firearms of all calibers, weight, size, and type. My first firearm was a 38 revolver--never having handled a firearm before, I watched all the pieces come off of that semi and I realized I was not in the mood for "pieces", when a revolver is that simple.If being a woman means you have to purchase the cutsey little number, you are getting poor advice. You seem to know to back off of the blunderbuss that your hubby once had so you obviously have some good ideas--go with them but do try everything and do your due diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by RightArmOfWyoming View Post
    Safety are good, on semi-autos. But non-"gun people" seem to have a problem with doing more than drawing and pulling the trigger under stress. I've also heard of people hitting the mag release by accident while fumbling for the safety under stress. Revolvers don't have mag releases or a safety, so they're kind of "no brainer" guns, and the long trigger pull is the "safety."

MWD

hitting the mag release by accident while fumbling for the safety under stress

No disrespect sir, but this is an excellent example of either no training/practice whatsoever, or a firearm in the hands of a fool....

But non-"gun people" seem to have a problem with doing more than drawing and pulling the trigger under stress.

Respectfully.... NUTS !....Who in their right mind, subjects a person that is not functionally proficient with their firearm to ANY degree of stress? A "non-pilot" has no business trying to fly an aircraft, either..... serious injury or death can result from either scenario.

Just sayin'....
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

9. Quote Originally Posted by RightArmOfWyoming View Post
    Revolvers don't have mag releases or a safety, so they're kind of "no brainer" guns
    Is THAT why they are recommended to women??

Quote Originally Posted by MissAnnThrope View Post
    Is THAT why they are recommended to women??
    It's just that we've seen you try to parallel park.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

11. Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    It's just that we've seen you try to parallel park.
    You're right. You stand right there, and I'll get my van...you can watch me REAL close up.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast