best gun for a woman? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: best gun for a woman?

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    It's just that we've seen you try to parallel park.
    Oohhh are you BAD! You crack me up! Too chicken myself to say what you said!

Quote Originally Posted by cherishbarnwell View Post
    Thanks for the first thing you said! My fiance asked in one of his posts what would be best for me to carry, and he said I don't want a revolver, but the replies were stuff like "she should just get over the revolver thing". Which obviously ticked me off. I'm not ruling it out, I'll try anything, I'm just not interested in it. I'm not really sure why I was afraid to shoot the glock..maybe because the guy at the pawn shop called it the "fire breathing dragon". I was scared at first to shoot his Sccy, but I finally did it and it was not bad at all. Plus the Glock would not fit my hand, it was way too big! I wouldn't have been able to hold on to it. And i'm not looking for anything without a safety due to the fact we have 3 small children. Even though yes the guns in the house are stored properly, but as a precaution I'd like to have a safety.

I might catch heck for this recommendation. When your gun is at home for home protection not when carrying you can feel free from your fear about your young children if your gun of choice does not have an active safety.
    Just do not rack the slide and leave one in the chamber. The kids at this young age are too small to be able to chamber a round. Even if you have an active safety don't chamber a round. No chambered round and the gun in a place where the children cannot get at it would be the safest route at this point. Just my 2 cents.

Educate the children.

Get an airsoft or other non-functional toy gun, and leave it laying around. When a child shows interest, answer questions, teach. Once the "mystique" is gone, they won't be as likely to investigate. Firearms kept in the home for personal protection are virtually useless if they must be loaded and/or prepared before they can be employed. Also, firearms kept in the home for personal protection should be instantly accessable. To say that another way... CARRY IT AT HOME. If the gun is in a safe, and the intruder breaks into the kitchen........ if you're gonna protect yourself with it, become proficient with it, THEN carry it.
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

If you have children at home you might want to look into one of those one-gun safes that has a combination lock that can be entered pretty quickly in case of emergency. It can be bolted down to the side table next to your bed. I think you can get one in the $100 range.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

this is the feance i have the sccy 9 and i keep one chamber at all times with the safety on but for me i keep it on my hip from the time i get up till the time i go to sleep when i go to sleep it gets put in a drawer by the night stand that the kids cant open. my only worry with her weapon is if she leaves her purse on the table or something them getting into it. on another not i saw one hguy after i put on here that the gun she is afraid to shoot was a 10m,m and they said they would be afraid of that. let me tell you that was a heck of a weapon reliable and packed a big punch and alot of recoil. fun to shoot tho till your sholder and elbow started hurting. my next purchase soon will be a taurus the judge revolver. i dont think she will shoot it either

Quote Originally Posted by jbarnwell22 View Post
    this is the feance i have the sccy 9 and i keep one chamber at all times with the safety on but for me i keep it on my hip from the time i get up till the time i go to sleep when i go to sleep it gets put in a drawer by the night stand that the kids cant open. my only worry with her weapon is if she leaves her purse on the table or something them getting into it. on another not i saw one hguy after i put on here that the gun she is afraid to shoot was a 10m,m and they said they would be afraid of that. let me tell you that was a heck of a weapon reliable and packed a big punch and alot of recoil. fun to shoot tho till your sholder and elbow started hurting. my next purchase soon will be a taurus the judge revolver. i dont think she will shoot it either
    I would strongly recommend against purse carry. This goes for fanny bags as well. If you're carrying a firearm for SD, it should be ON YOUR PERSON. Regardless if you're male or female, having the gun on you is the BEST place for it to be. Think of this scenario, imagine you and your girlfriend are at a local fast food joint enjoying burgers and fries. Some BG comes in to rob the place. You for whatever reason cannot access your firearm. Her SD gun is sitting in her purse on the chair across from you. What good will it do there?

Another scenario to think of. You're walking down the street minding your own business. Some thug comes out of nowhere pointing a gun at you and your girlfriend. He says "hey you, give me your wallet, and you, give me your purse." What do you do? She'll probably get shot before she can draw from the purse. Once she tosses the purse to the BG, there's one more gun in the hands of a criminal. As for you, it's unlikely that you'll be able to safely draw your concealed firearm and get off a shot before the BG has a chance to react.

Hence my argument. Unless absolutely necessary, CARRY ON YOUR PERSON. This not only minimizes the danger to your small children, but it ensures that your firearm will be available to you when you need it.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

her problem like most women is tho in the summer time its hard for her to conceal on her pearson unlike me i wear shorts with cargo pockets t shirts that are long enough to cover my weapon. what do u suggest a carry option for her be in the summer

Quote Originally Posted by jbarnwell22 View Post
    her problem like most women is tho in the summer time its hard for her to conceal on her pearson unlike me i wear shorts with cargo pockets t shirts that are long enough to cover my weapon. what do u suggest a carry option for her be in the summer
    It all depends on how she dresses. One option that comes to mind is: SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters. I know a couple of ladies who like to wear rather tight jean shorts, and sometimes even "Daisy Duke" type shorts. They carry a Glock 26 or Glock 27 using an IWB rig.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

glock fan do you know of any ranges i can take her to around birmingham al ot rent weapons for her to try

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast