I have a child. How do you recommend I store my guns?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I have a child. How do you recommend I store my guns?

I have a child. How do you recommend I store my guns?

My child is 9. She has a friend that is a boy who plays video games with her. I have my guns stored in the following fashion:

Bullets in a bag out of reach-no bullets stored with guns
    Gun case locked with trigger locks on all guns
    keys to guns in a separate location with a stack of keys (only one opens the case)

This is an ok setup and I can get my guns ready in about 40 seconds.

However, I have considered carrying the keys on my own keychain and getting one of those Firesafes with the guns ready and loaded. That should cut the preparation time to just 10 seconds (for home defense). I live in a safe neighborhood that is gated an I have a security system.

What other recommendations do you have for my easy accessibility but maintain a safe house (without allowing kids access to the guns)?
    www.holstershock.com

Tell 'em CDR Glock sent ya!

Quote Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
    My child is 9. She has a friend that is a boy who plays video games with her. I have my guns stored in the following fashion:

Bullets in a bag out of reach-no bullets stored with guns
    Gun case locked with trigger locks on all guns
    keys to guns in a separate location with a stack of keys (only one opens the case)

This is an ok setup and I can get my guns ready in about 40 seconds.

However, I have considered carrying the keys on my own keychain and getting one of those Firesafes with the guns ready and loaded. That should cut the preparation time to just 10 seconds (for home defense). I live in a safe neighborhood that is gated an I have a security system.

What other recommendations do you have for my easy accessibility but maintain a safe house (without allowing kids access to the guns)?
    Get a GunVault;

Gun Safe For The Home and Office | GunVault

You can open it faster than you can dial 911.

What Glockster said..
    I would stay away from the BioScan ones, they have been proven that they can be fooled..

Having an unloaded gun, well you might as well have a brick..
    You say you can have the gun ready in 40 seconds, but how long will it take when you think someone is IN YOUR HOUSE??? Nerves may slow down the process..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Children are naturally curious about firearms. Children are highly intelligent. Children will often get into mischief when parents are not around.

That said. I recommend storage with no keys. Keys can be found, and used.

Get a gun storage safe, box, closet, hole in the backyard, with a combination only lock. Only you and your spouse have the combination. Keep a copy of the combination in the bank safety deposit box.

I like the idea of the "bed room safe" Like the one glockster20 has in mind. You are able to keep your home defensive weapon locked and loaded at arms reach. Remember to safeguard the access also.

Remember the law, if you leave a firearm laying around, and a child gets hurt, you are looking at a serious felony, in addition to being haunted for your entire life. If it is someone else's child, you will be sued for all you have, and more.

I kept my firearms locked down when the children were at home. Now when little vistors arive, everthing goes into the safe. Everything.

I grew up around firearms. There was no lock and key. I was not to "play" with Dad's guns. That was the rule. Rules were followed, or I took a beating. I had a paper route, mowed lawns, and worked at Mcdonalds, at age 16. Kids today, are different. Life today is more complicated. You can't go back to 1950's thinking regarding firearms.

It's 2010. Lock em down.

Nine is plenty old enough to be shown, told and taught about responsible gun safety. Lay down the law. My dad was a hunter and a sportsman; he had me shooting when I was seven. I knew where all the guns were, which were loaded and that I was forbidden to touch ANY of them unless he was there to oversee it. Lord help me if I had!

Teach your children. Then, teach your children. After you're done teaching them, teach them some more. My dad taught me when I was little. My daughter (7yrs) knows the drill. We learn on a daily basis, as I carry daily. If you're not carrying on your person, lock em away. Make them learn and recite the firearm safety rules. Take them with you when you practice, and set the standard.

My dad was USMC. He showed me the drill. But, he also told me if I was ever caught handling a weapon w/o him he'd rip my arms off and beat me with them. Yes, I tested him. Much to my dismay. He's in his 60s now and I still wouldn't mess with him, even if he were unconscious.

RH

We have three children and far more firearms. At about 4 or 5 years old we teach the children about shooting, guns and the requisite safety. My 7 and 9 year olds have their own 22s and they love to shoot. They have the rules of gun safety memorized and they are very cautious and diligent.

That said, they ARE children. So, our guns are kept locked in a gun safe. The safe also has an alarm that is part of our home secutiry system so if the cabinet is opened without my husband or I disarming it the police are automatically dispatched. Ammo is kept in separate locked boxes.

However, for home security purposes there is a fingerprint safe on my husband's nightstand with at least one loaded handgun.

One of the safest ways to store a gun is to always have it on your person. You kids can't get it if you're carrying it.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    One of the safest ways to store a gun is to always have it on your person. You kids can't get it if you're carrying it.
    You take your shootin iron in the bathroom while your in the shower?

teach your kids as much as you can about the rules of firearm safty and quiz them from time to time on them, but teach them all you can about it. i store my guns in a bolted down safe, but most of the time they are on or near me and i DONT have kids or anyone who comes to my home most dont have any either. if they do the guns get locked up. my ammo is stored with the guns most of the time or in a locked shooters box. just depends on whats going on.

good luck.

p.s. i love gun vaults or dac tech safes.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast