Question About Night Sights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question About Night Sights

Looking for opinions on night sights for pistols. I've got the XD-40 Service & Sub-Compact pistols that I'd like to look in to adding some night sights. I've seen on the Springfield Armory site that they mention the Trijicon sights, but haven't seen any out here "in the field" (at a gunshop) which comes w/them factory installed. At the Trijicon.com Night Sights page, they give some information, but don't show you an example of the sights used, either in low-light or no-light. They're also a bit pricey at an MSRP of USD$101.

Basically, can anyone give a run down on these sights capabilities, as well as an opinion on if they're worth the price? Also, can they be installed by someone who's semi-experienced with basic gunsmithing of firearms? I've worked doing some light gunsmithing in some of my duties in the USAF, but nothing that didn't require more than a basic exchange of common field-stripped part or something as relatively simple as replacing the stock on an M-16. What sort of specialized tools would this require? I almost purchased a basic gunsmithing "multi-tool" at a gun shop this week, but decided to pass for now as I wanted to stick to the budget I'd set for myself and the price was $77.

I don't know of any gunsmiths in the immediate Little Rock area, but know I could Google it and likely find a few listings, at least. However, I know that would cost me more money and if this is something relatively simple to do myself, I'd rather go that route - not only to save some funds, but to get the experience - there won't likely be many gunsmiths left once the Zombie Apocalypse starts, after all.

Anyhow, would appreciate any and all input!

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

They are not that difficult to put on. But, like most things, a right way, and a wrong way.

I think you may need a sight put er on tool. Or, what ever it is called.

I have night sights on a glock. I can always see the sights. They are very bright in a dark room.

Some of the gun guys here can tell you more.

I have Trijicon sights on my Para LTC and they are phenomenal. The Para came with a coupon that you could use to send in your slide and they would install the Trijicon sights for $90.00. They also returned the original sights that were on the pistol.

I believe Brownell's sells a removal/installation tool if the sights are dovetail style.
    World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

truglo night sight TFO, that what I used in my glock23 and I did it my self, they super glow all the time

I tried them, didn't care for them. They were harder to see in the day (appeared mostly gray to me in daylight) and when it was dark enough that night sights actually glowed brightly, it was probably too dark to safely shoot at someone or something.

For me, a Crimson Trace laser was a better solution. And you can aim with a laser from just about any position ... not necessary to see the sights or have them aligned in front of your eye. Works well in all situations except bright desert sunlight. I still shoot iron sights when light allows but that laser is quite an amazing tool.
    I no longer trust my government to act on my behalf.

Look on YouTube for them in action. I personally prefer the Meprolight since there is a clear cover over the white outline; this makes dirt or oil less likely to obscure the white outline when shooting in light.

The white outline is easy to see and does not take away from lighted environments. The night glow is impressive allowing you to sight your target. Never had to shoot at night for defense(I would like to keep it that way).

I can post some pix of mine in the dark, if my iPhone actually works in low light.
    www.holstershock.com

Tell 'em CDR Glock sent ya!

Night Sights are love em or hate em thing, my preference is standard high profile combat sights. With that said I have 8 or 10 guns with them. But my everyday carry 1911 Colt has standard combat sights from the factory. What I do to make the sights visiable in low light...my wife has every finger nail polish known to mankind. She had a bright white polish (I say had because it is now in the Gun Box) that takes a hard bright finish when dry. It does not glow like a night sight but it works well with most light and when using one of the hand held gun lights the sights show up like the mid day sun is over your shoulder.

Several things to consider:

1, If you can't see the sights, have you properly ID'ed the target?
    2, In low light you are not going to be shooting at any long distance ...say 10 or 15 feet max. At that range, if there is enough light to see the BG, you'll have enough light to see the sights or you'll have a flashlight/gunlight and be lining up the front sight looking down the barrel/slide like Cooper's flash sight picture back in the day.

Just my thoughts.

Steve

Here is a pic in the dark.
    www.holstershock.com

This is how it looks in light.

Meprolights.
    www.holstershock.com

Kewel pics. Thanks, CDR_Glock.