glok grip plug reservations
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: glok grip plug reservations

glok grip plug reservations

just an observation...anyone have any thoughts on using grip plugs on the glocks they use ? i have not called glock yet but feel the plugs might seal up the gun to tight. the dam hole in the grip appears to be a muffler of some kind. why else is it here ? you take that hole away and you have a much more ergonomic grip. seems glock insists on it being there. i blew smoke down the bbl and quite a bit of it exited the grip hole at the bottom rear. maybe a certain amount of hot gas muffles it's way out of the body of the gun through there. don't know. so i keep it clean and pass on plugging it up. wonder how many kb's were not ammo related and happened as a result of the "grip plugs"
    Oh , dont blow cigar smoke down the bbl of your glock until you triple check for an empty chamber.
    NEVER FORGET 9*11*01

I didn't like how my glock looked with that huge hole in the grip. I put an aftermarket plug in two years ago. No known issues yet.

I wonder if you should call glock and share the results with all of us. I bet many want to know. Only if you want to that is.

Good posting.

I have never used them. Never saw the need as my Glocks work just fine without them.

I went and talked to couple of gun guys. The hole on the Glock grip was made to accommodate the Glock stock. (Carbine), or, the full auto Glock. Look at it, and you will see how it will fit in there. Otherwise it has no purpose. Mine stays plugged. One less item to clean.

Using a plug is a personal choice. Only difference it will make is if you're wearing mittens (there is a groove that allows for your thumb to grip the base of the magazine if you're wearing mittens and using "non-drop free" magazines). Another situation where the unplugged grip will be beneficial is if you will need your firearm after going through water. The unplugged grip will drain a lot faster.

I have a plug on my primary Glock 23 that doubles as an armorer's tool. My other Glock pistols have grip plugs installed to minimize lint, dirt, dust and other debris from entering the empty area. Some people feel that the empty area allows dirt and debris to fall free from the action of the pistol. I personally feel that the plug keeps the gun cleaner.

As stated earlier, it's a personal preference. I've never had any mechanical problems with my Glock pistols. Only malfunctions I've ever experienced were due to the ammunition.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Pretty much the same here. I have a plug. I figured that was one less hole to collect lint and dirt. But who knows, maybe it makes no difference. I've never had a failure, although every once in a while it will fall out while I'm shooting.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Thumbs up Glock stock.

Glock 18 with shoulder stock;

YouTube - Glock 298 rounds in full auto

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster20 View Post
    I have never used them. Never saw the need as my Glocks work just fine without them.
    the same here

I was taught by the people at Glock that you should not use the BUTT PLUG in the Glock pistol. I have been a Glock Armorer and Glock Instructor since the mid 80's when when Glock first landed on the the US shores and took the Law Enforcement community by storm.

The Hole in the bottom of the grip frame behind the magazine well is there for a couple of purposes. It is there for the shooters thumb, should he have to rip the mag out of place to clear a the weapon. Try setting up a double feed, with a round or and empty in the chamber, then let the slide shove a fresh round foward. Now try to drop the magazine out. It must be forced out by pulling it out from the bottom. Try doing it with the BUTT PLUG in place. Now trying doing it under stress or with wet or bloody hands.

Next, the hole serves as a drain of sorts for water, mud, dirt, and other assorted trash that can get into the mechanism. The pistol is designed with open areas along the bottom of the slide and in contact areas of the frame rails. This allows debris to fall out as the pistol operates. Same with the hole in the grip frame, that you are PLUGGING UP. It allows debris or water to fall out of the trigger/ disconnetor area. If you plug it up, it stops the debris from falling free and traps it in the plug. In addition, when you re-holster the pistol, the debris is now rolling back up toward the mechanism.

I've heard alot of excuses and reasons for using them, but let's face facts. It's a toy. There is nothing wrong with toys, if you simply load the gun and shoot paper targets with it. But when those paper targets start shooting back and the "Oh *****" factor starts kicking in, I want my gun to work and I want every advantage I can have, and every benefit I can have in case a malfunction, dirt, mud, sand or whatever happens. Don't use the BUTT PLUG. It's marketing, it's a Toy, and nothing more.
    There's Something Goin' On Here, and it Ain't Funny!!!

Headbanger...From way down town! I haven't seen you on here for a couple months.

Thanks for the advice. Since I use G31 mags in my G33, getting a grip on it typically isn't an issue. I had figured the plug would serve well to keep junk out of there in the first place, but I guess if that is coming straight from Glock, I can't really argue.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast