Shipping a handgun from one state to another - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shipping a handgun from one state to another

Quote Originally Posted by nodemas View Post
    When I travel, I follow the letter to the law when it comes to the transporting of a gun. The gunsafe is a metal case made of hardened steel with a double bolt lock system. I use a TSA lock to secure the weapon and clips inside the gun safe. The safe and gun, as well as the two loaded clips adds about 12 to 15 pounds weight to my bag. I also use a hard sided bag as TSA regs require. I declare the gun to American and am furnished the forms to fill out. One forms goes inside with the locked case. The other stays outseld. Once TSA checks the gun safe and proper bag that they are contained in they always affix a sticker to the bag, and send it directly to be loaded on the plane. I am told by the Manager of the chechpoint that no one will touch the bag. As soon as I retrieve the bag in FT. Fauderdale I immediate get a person from American baggage claims to stand there as I open the bag in order to check the integrety of the weapon. Without failure better than 95 % of the time the lock on the safe has been removed the clips are out of there places and the gun is in a different position that it was when it wa packed. AS a rule, I usually take the gun to the hotel, where I break down compleely and reassemble the weapon before being comortable with being able to use it again
    That's my point, if you used a TSA lock on your gun case, you were NOT following TSA procedures which mandate that only you have access to your pistol case. Using a TSA lock is not following the law. Further, if you traveled with loaded mags,not clips regardless of their location and the open end was not covered, you were also not traveling in compliance with TSA regs.

Lastly, it is a violation of FAA regs to affix any sticker to the outside of your luggage that would indicate the contents. All airlines are prohibited frpm doing this. If you did as you said, it's no wonder your stuff was tampered with.

Please elaboarte on how this was in accordance with TSA regs.

something fishy here IMO

3. To date no one has ever pointed out that I was in violation of any reg. Nine years ago, when I started carrying a weapon because of my field of work, I was told by a TSA agent in Ft. Lauderdale that I needed to declare the gun as being in my bag. I was told to never ship the weapon in my bag with a clip in it. The agent also told me that both the hard sided bag as well as the gun safe must have TSA locks on them that would allow TSA to enter and view the weapon should they choose to do so. I also had to place a declaration card inside the gun safe as well as have the other form stapled to my bag claim. There has not been one time where traveling with 2 loaded clips has ever been a problem. As long as the clips were not loaded in the weapon, and securely stored in the gun safe, the letter of the law was met, as explained to me.
    I am attempting to get some help here with a problem that I have. I can assure that what experiences that I have had with regard to the handling of the gun are real and accurate. Not one time has anyone alerted me that I was doing something incorrectly. Had they done so, I would have ceased the practice. I am told that to get the fishy taste out of your mouth, you might want to use a lemon to overcome the taste and smell.Just cut a fresh lemon and put in in your mouth, and the juice of the lemon with take away the fishy taste and smell. Try it, you might like it!
    In the meantime, I will continue to look for a solution to the problem. It might be of some interest to you to know that recently TSA, ATF, DEA and local athorities in the DFW area took down a number of people working on the ramps in Dallas for stealing items in passenger bags. Among those items were guns and ammo, with many other items listed as well. I certainly appreciate any comment that might make. However, yours to date has no value or substance as to solving my problem. I have to carry a weapon, and have no trouble following the law. It is when I surrender that weapon to a Governmental source that is supposed to assure me that nothing will happen to the weapon while it is in their possession, is where the system is failing. I do appreciate your input on putting loaded clips with the gun. I will check with TSA to verify your info. I will also check on your other points, as well, to verify that you know what you are talking about. Hope you get those lemons soon. I personally hate that fishy taste and smell. Good luck with that.
    The only reason that I posted a question, was to get help from much more qualified people than myself. I am not interested in establishing an on going diatribe regarding the smell of fish. The next time that it happens to me, I will attach a copy of the complaint that I file with TSA, and post it here.
    Thanks for your reply, which in view of just my own personal experience, has no value at all.
    Have a safe one.
    nodemas

Quote Originally Posted by nodemas View Post
    To date no one has ever pointed out that I was in violation of any reg. Nine years ago, when I started carrying a weapon because of my field of work, I was told by a TSA agent in Ft. Lauderdale that I needed to declare the gun as being in my bag. I was told to never ship the weapon in my bag with a clip in it. The agent also told me that both the hard sided bag as well as the gun safe must have TSA locks on them that would allow TSA to enter and view the weapon should they choose to do so. I also had to place a declaration card inside the gun safe as well as have the other form stapled to my bag claim. There has not been one time where traveling with 2 loaded clips has ever been a problem. As long as the clips were not loaded in the weapon, and securely stored in the gun safe, the letter of the law was met, as explained to me.
    I am attempting to get some help here with a problem that I have. I can assure that what experiences that I have had with regard to the handling of the gun are real and accurate. Not one time has anyone alerted me that I was doing something incorrectly. Had they done so, I would have ceased the practice. I am told that to get the fishy taste out of your mouth, you might want to use a lemon to overcome the taste and smell.Just cut a fresh lemon and put in in your mouth, and the juice of the lemon with take away the fishy taste and smell. Try it, you might like it!
    In the meantime, I will continue to look for a solution to the problem. It might be of some interest to you to know that recently TSA, ATF, DEA and local athorities in the DFW area took down a number of people working on the ramps in Dallas for stealing items in passenger bags. Among those items were guns and ammo, with many other items listed as well. I certainly appreciate any comment that might make. However, yours to date has no value or substance as to solving my problem. I have to carry a weapon, and have no trouble following the law. It is when I surrender that weapon to a Governmental source that is supposed to assure me that nothing will happen to the weapon while it is in their possession, is where the system is failing. I do appreciate your input on putting loaded clips with the gun. I will check with TSA to verify your info. I will also check on your other points, as well, to verify that you know what you are talking about. Hope you get those lemons soon. I personally hate that fishy taste and smell. Good luck with that.
    The only reason that I posted a question, was to get help from much more qualified people than myself. I am not interested in establishing an on going diatribe regarding the smell of fish. The next time that it happens to me, I will attach a copy of the complaint that I file with TSA, and post it here.
    Thanks for your reply, which in view of just my own personal experience, has no value at all.
    Have a safe one.
    nodemas
    Here are the TSA regs for flying with a firearm. TSA REGS. I have highlighted the portion that may solve your continuing problem of tampering.

You may only transport firearms, ammunition and firearm parts in your checked baggage. Firearms, ammunition and firearm parts are prohibited from carry-on baggage.

There are certain limited exceptions for law enforcement officers who may fly armed by meeting the requirements of Title 49 CFR 1544.219. Law enforcement officers should read our policies on traveling with guns.

The key regulatory requirements to transporting firearms, firearm parts or ammunition in checked baggage are:

You must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
    The firearm must be unloaded.
    The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.
    The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you. Cases that can be pulled open with little effort do not meet this criterion. The pictures provided here illustrate the difference between a properly packaged and an improperly packaged firearm.
    We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain in the area designated by the aircraft operator or TSA representative to take the key back after the container is cleared for transportation. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can't contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft.
    You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
    You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.
    You can't bring black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms in either your carry-on or checked baggage.

Photo of a firearm properly packaged. We and other authorities strictly enforce these regulations. Violations can result in criminal prosecution and civil penalties of up to $10,000 per violation.

Airlines may have their own additional requirements on the carriage of firearm
    Airlines have been prohibited from affixing an outside tag on your luggage for a couple of years. Did you relate to TSA in your letter how you were securing your firearm?

Perhaps if you followed these simple rules the tampering would stop. Not sure though. I have followed the regs and had no problems. Since you state that you are following a 9 year old verbal directive from a TSA agent you may wiish to refresh your knowledge in light of the current travel climate in the country.

I'm very curious what type of handgun uses a clip rather than a magazine. Are you permitted to elaborate?

I have also found the most accurate and up to date info on the web sites of the agency promulgating the regs, not Internet gun web sites. Perhaps your experience is different

YMMV

But my guess is if you continue to travel according to 9 year old verbal info, your problems will continue.

Lastly, I tried your suggestion about using lemons to get rid of the fish smell. Didn't work at all. The odor became worse. Thanks for the tip though.

Hope the link to the regs increased the value of the post a little bit

Have a nice flight by the way.

wolfhunter Guest
    [QUOTE=Swinokur;132943<snipped>

I'm very curious what type of handgun uses a clip rather than a magazine. Are you permitted to elaborate?

<snipped>[/QUOTE]

Possibly a revolver using half-moon clips, like a S&W M325 Night Guard?

TSA Lock; say it is not so!!!

You should never lock your guns in a safe with a TSA Lock! That is your mistake.

The regulations say that the lock is NOT to be a TSA lock and the only you should have the key/combination.

Quote Originally Posted by skipster View Post
    You should never lock your guns in a safe with a TSA Lock! That is your mistake.

The regulations say that the lock is NOT to be a TSA lock and the only you should have the key/combination.
    Not to mention allowing the airline to place a tag on the outside of your bag announcing to the world that it contains a firearm in violation of TSA and FAA regs.

No wonder it got tampered with.

Oh, but a TSA Goon told me this 9 years ago. Was the TSA even in existence 9 years ago?

Oh., I see it was

The TSA was originally organized in the U.S. Department of Transportation but was moved to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security on November 25, 2002. The agency is responsible for security in all modes of transportation
    But my info is of no value to the OP. Oh well. keep on having the problems.

By the way, anyone else smell anything? lemons? fish perhaps?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12