Shipping a handgun from one state to another
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping a handgun from one state to another

1. Shipping a handgun from one state to another

Does anyone out there know what the laws are that govern shipping a handgun from one state to another to the same owner? I live about six months in Florida and the other in Texas. I want to ship the gun that I carry on myself to Texas. How would I go about that, and are there carriers that normally do that? Any help would be greatly appreciated

ATF Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide 2005. This is the latest I've gotten from BATFE as a dealer. You cannot send handguns, as a nonlicensee, through the US Mail, you have to use a common carrier. Check out Postal Regulations, too. On page 178 is the following.

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
    Last edited by NMHunter; 05-06-2010 at 08:19 AM. Reason: spelling

4. Thank you for the reply. Are you referring to a licensee as a Dealer of Handguns? Does the holding of a Concealed weapons permit allow me to ship the weapon to myself in another state? I normally ship the gun in an approved handgun safe within my baggage. In fact, I declare the weapon as required by law to the airline. Then I take the the bag to the TSA check point, and stand there as they check the gun and the safe that it is packed in. I always get it approved. I then lock the safe in front of TSA and then the bag, and Ii am told by the TSA agent that once they do the check and afix the sticker to my bag, that the bag and gun will not be checked again until i retrieve it at the final destination. I always take non stop flights. It never fails that when I claim my bag, I find that the bag has been opened, and the lock has been removed from the gun safe, and my weapon has been handled. About 95 % of the time the lock to the safe is not put back on the safe, and recently the TSA approved lock on my bag was removed and not re attached, as well as the gun inside. I now believe that the only safe way to get the gun to me without it being handled is to ship via UPS or FEDEX or some carrier like that. I am just trying to find out whether or not I can do that or do I have to pay a Dealer to ship the gun to me.
    Thanks to anyone that can help me.

A licensee as referred to would be the holder of a Federal Firearms License (FFL), not a Concealed Weapons License.

However, read the answer carefully it referes to NON-licensees and notes that you MAY ship firearms to yourself (or in care of yourself to another individual) by common carrier (not USPS) and address that package to yourself and have the recipient not open it (therefore not taking possession of the firearms).

Quote Originally Posted by nodemas View Post
    Thank you for the reply. Are you referring to a licensee as a Dealer of Handguns? Does the holding of a Concealed weapons permit allow me to ship the weapon to myself in another state? I normally ship the gun in an approved handgun safe within my baggage. In fact, I declare the weapon as required by law to the airline. Then I take the the bag to the TSA check point, and stand there as they check the gun and the safe that it is packed in. I always get it approved. I then lock the safe in front of TSA and then the bag, and Ii am told by the TSA agent that once they do the check and afix the sticker to my bag, that the bag and gun will not be checked again until i retrieve it at the final destination. I always take non stop flights. It never fails that when I claim my bag, I find that the bag has been opened, and the lock has been removed from the gun safe, and my weapon has been handled. About 95 % of the time the lock to the safe is not put back on the safe, and recently the TSA approved lock on my bag was removed and not re attached, as well as the gun inside. I now believe that the only safe way to get the gun to me without it being handled is to ship via UPS or FEDEX or some carrier like that. I am just trying to find out whether or not I can do that or do I have to pay a Dealer to ship the gun to me.
    Thanks to anyone that can help me.
    The concealed permit has no bearing on shipping. I am referring to a Federal Firearms Licensee, commonly termed an FFL, as a licensee and anyone else is a non-licensee. This is one of the few circumstances, subject to state and local laws, that a non-licensee can ship firearms inter-state. The only other one I can think of is sending a gun to a manufacturer or maker for repair or custom work.
    If your lock and gun were removed and not put back I hope you filed a theft report. If a TSA agent stole your gun it is a serious issue.

why would you ship it??? why arent you just traveling with your gun?

8. Previously, I have traveled with the weapon stored in my bags in a TSA approved gun safe with the necessary approved locks attached. Over the last several years, I have found that once I arrived at my destination and claimed my bags, the gun safe in my bag has been opened, and the gun has been handled. I carry 2 full clips stored in the same safe. On one occasion, 2 rounds had been removed from one of the clips. I am very uncomfortable with the fact that apparently TSA can not guarantee the safety of the gun once I have surrendered it to them at the checkpoint. I do not want to deal with an issue at some location with a TSA or ATF agent claiming that I did not secure the weapon, and then have it seized or have to deal with charges against me. I have filed complaints with TSA, and they notify me that they will look into the matter. To date with 8 complaints filed over the last 4 years, there has been no resolution on any complaint.
    I am responsible for the weapon and its use when it is on my person. However, I am concerned about what might happen to someone while the weapon is out of my control, and under TSA's control.
    Hope that might shed a little more light on what I perceive as the problem.
    Have a safe one.
    nodemas

WOW, never had that happen before- i always carry 2-4 handguns with me and in a lock box, never had this issue- how is TSA getting into your lock box after you check your luggage, you lock it and they send it through the machine - i have the key to my lock box and or combination to the lock - NOT TSA- so how are they getting into your belongings??? this is wild brosef

Quote Originally Posted by jessepeakdotcom View Post
    WOW, never had that happen before- i always carry 2-4 handguns with me and in a lock box, never had this issue- how is TSA getting into your lock box after you check your luggage, you lock it and they send it through the machine - i have the key to my lock box and or combination to the lock - NOT TSA- so how are they getting into your belongings??? this is wild brosef
    That's my question as well. If you fly according to TSA regs, the only person with both physical and legal access to your gun case is YOU?

Full mgazines without the open end covered are also not allowed.

How is any of his possible? Something iss not right here.

11. When I travel, I follow the letter to the law when it comes to the transporting of a gun. The gunsafe is a metal case made of hardened steel with a double bolt lock system. I use a TSA lock to secure the weapon and clips inside the gun safe. The safe and gun, as well as the two loaded clips adds about 12 to 15 pounds weight to my bag. I also use a hard sided bag as TSA regs require. I declare the gun to American and am furnished the forms to fill out. One forms goes inside with the locked case. The other stays outseld. Once TSA checks the gun safe and proper bag that they are contained in they always affix a sticker to the bag, and send it directly to be loaded on the plane. I am told by the Manager of the chechpoint that no one will touch the bag. As soon as I retrieve the bag in FT. Fauderdale I immediate get a person from American baggage claims to stand there as I open the bag in order to check the integrety of the weapon. Without failure better than 95 % of the time the lock on the safe has been removed the clips are out of there places and the gun is in a different position that it was when it wa packed. AS a rule, I usually take the gun to the hotel, where I break down compleely and reassemble the weapon before being comortable with being able to use it again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast