Need some advice on a good carry gun for a woman - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice on a good carry gun for a woman

Sounds like it may become a new part of her lifestyle. Let the journey begin.

Hope it works out well, she carries a gun without ever having to use it, and dies very old, dreaming in her bed.. Best anyone could hope for really...

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Shopping for a gun for someone else

I spent weeks researching pistols, and narrowed my choices to a CZ P-01, a Sig P239, a Walther PPS. and a Sig P232--all excellent pistols, with excellent reputations.

I went to the gun store, handled them all, asked a million questions, rented a couple, and went home with an H&K USP9c. This gun wasn't even on my radar, but it felt more comfortable in my hand than any of the ones I researched.

Like many posters here have noted, there is NOTHING like handling and firing the gun YOURSELF. Research--your own or someone else's--and the experiences of others are factors in the equation, but really the person shooting the gun should shop for the gun herself (or himself).

I have since added a Kahr MK9 to my carry list, and I find that gun to fit me perfectly. The H&K is a fine fine weapon, and I don't think I'll ever sell it, but the Kahr's size, thin grip, heft and balance, trigger, and very light recoil make the gun easy to shoot, easy to carry... FOR ME. Carrying comfortably, and having a gun that is comfortable (and comforting) to the user is paramount in choosing a self-defense weapon. I now carry the MK9 everyday.

I agree with a previous poster: give her something she can use NOW, and shop for a weapon of her own for the long run.

As to racking the slide, Massad Ayoob has a tip in the following article: Armed and Female by Massad Ayoob Issue #63

In it, he mentions a method of racking the slide that works for many females--even his 13 year old learned to do it this way (aka Israeli Method): "For example, most men operate a semiautomatic pistol by holding the frame in their dominant hand, and reaching across their chest with the free hand and grabbing the slide to “rack” it back. This is an upper body strength intensive technique, pitting arm against arm, and a lot of smaller or older women can’t do it well with many pistols. They’ll have better luck with the “slingshot” technique, in which the support hand firmly grabs the slide and pulls back while the gun-hand is pushing forward. This can be combined with a turn of the hips that puts the entire body weight into the movement, making it happen almost effortlessly."

One more note: When my guns were new, the recoil springs were very very tight/strong. Now that they have been broken in (500+ rounds) they are MUCH easier to rack. Have your friend try the Ayoob method of racking a slide with a pistol whose recoil spring is "broken in."

Best of luck to her, and kudos to you for doing all you can to help her.

Quote Originally Posted by eaccents View Post
    I spent weeks researching pistols, and narrowed my choices to a CZ P-01, a Sig P239, a Walther PPS. and a Sig P232--all excellent pistols, with excellent reputations.

I went to the gun store, handled them all, asked a million questions, rented a couple, and went home with an H&K USP9c. This gun wasn't even on my radar, but it felt more comfortable in my hand than any of the ones I researched.

Like many posters here have noted, there is NOTHING like handling and firing the gun YOURSELF. Research--your own or someone else's--and the experiences of others are factors in the equation, but really the person shooting the gun should shop for the gun herself (or himself).

I have since added a Kahr MK9 to my carry list, and I find that gun to fit me perfectly. The H&K is a fine fine weapon, and I don't think I'll ever sell it, but the Kahr's size, thin grip, heft and balance, trigger, and very light recoil make the gun easy to shoot, easy to carry... FOR ME. Carrying comfortably, and having a gun that is comfortable (and comforting) to the user is paramount in choosing a self-defense weapon. I now carry the MK9 everyday.

I agree with a previous poster: give her something she can use NOW, and shop for a weapon of her own for the long run.

As to racking the slide, Massad Ayoob has a tip in the following article: Armed and Female by Massad Ayoob Issue #63

In it, he mentions a method of racking the slide that works for many females--even his 13 year old learned to do it this way (aka Israeli Method): "For example, most men operate a semiautomatic pistol by holding the frame in their dominant hand, and reaching across their chest with the free hand and grabbing the slide to “rack” it back. This is an upper body strength intensive technique, pitting arm against arm, and a lot of smaller or older women can’t do it well with many pistols. They’ll have better luck with the “slingshot” technique, in which the support hand firmly grabs the slide and pulls back while the gun-hand is pushing forward. This can be combined with a turn of the hips that puts the entire body weight into the movement, making it happen almost effortlessly."

One more note: When my guns were new, the recoil springs were very very tight/strong. Now that they have been broken in (500+ rounds) they are MUCH easier to rack. Have your friend try the Ayoob method of racking a slide with a pistol whose recoil spring is "broken in."

Best of luck to her, and kudos to you for doing all you can to help her.
    Really good advice on the slide racking method, the difference is amazing. I suggest anyone reading this with semis should try it. I almost want to say it takes half the force, seriously.

Thanks eaccents, it's enough of a difference that I could see her being able to do it. Opens up some more options with 9mm +P+.

5. Most women are not going to like shooting or carrying a 357 mag. I have always recommended a woman carry a small 38 loaded with +p hollow points. Easy to load and fires every time.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    .357 Mag 125gr hollow points (Federal cartridge# 357B) are what I run in the Model 65 S&W. Try them first!!! They are stout in a small 2" revolver and they are gonna hurt some for a lady. Not being a male pig here, I didn't like it..

The Ruger LCR is light weight @ 14oz unloaded and it's a polymer frame w/ small 5 round stainless cylinder. Check local prices. $400 or so for online prices.

Ruger LCR Double-Action Revolver Models

Peace...
    The LCR is a great little gun for CC. No hammer, DAO, takes 38 or 38+p
    I think instead of worrying about stopping power with one shot maybe if she ran just .38 and not +p it would be easier for her to make a follow up shot. That might be what she would need in all practicality. No training? = Not much practice = missed first shot under stress. If you do want more power I think .38 special+P would work just fine! Besides you can put a Crimson Laser Grip on the LCR and you have an easy to conceal nifty personal protection tool. Just my $.02!

Weight of the pistol

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    The LCR is a great little gun for CC. No hammer, DAO, takes 38 or 38+p
    I think instead of worrying about stopping power with one shot maybe if she ran just .38 and not +p it would be easier for her to make a follow up shot. That might be what she would need in all practicality. No training? = Not much practice = missed first shot under stress. If you do want more power I think .38 special+P would work just fine! Besides you can put a Crimson Laser Grip on the LCR and you have an easy to conceal nifty personal protection tool. Just my $.02!
    I agree with CapGun: for a newbie to get a one-stop shot isn't very realistic. If she has to shoot, she will likely need to get quite a few shots off, so follow-up ability will be a big deal in her case.

Not knocking the LCR in any way, because from all accounts it is a great light-weight revolver. I am knocking LIGHT-WEIGHT guns for a new shooter, though.

It may seem counter-intuitive when looking for her first gun, but I think a newbie shooter should look at a pistol with more heft, which would dampen recoil considerably and help a lot with follow up shots.

I LOVE my stainless steel Kahr MK9, which empty and without the magazine is a whopping 22oz. I also LOVE my larger [polymer framed] pistol, an H&K USP 9c, which empty and without the magazine is 23.5oz.

I got to shoot a friend's brand new Sig P229 [aluminum frame], and I have to say it was definitely heavier than either of my own guns (P229 is 32oz with magazine), BUT a real pleasure to shoot. Follow up shots are faster because recoil is almost non-existent.

Tips for new shooters or for teaching new shooters:

I'm no expert, but as I learned I took extensive notes on all of my targets (yes, I'm THAT nerdy!) so that in a few years I will be able to teach my daughter to shoot.

GRIP: I've learned that the new shooter needs to have a really good grasp on the handgun grip. I added a Pearce Grip Extender to the short grip on my MK9 (so I could grasp with my pinky too), and it has made a world of difference on the speed of my follow-up shots. Additionally, I have realized that the 60/40 percent grip strength (60% weak hand, 40% dominant hand) is something to really adhere to. Last, I initially tried M. Ayoob's "dominant thumb down" grip but the "two thumbs forward" grip used by shooters like Brian Enos and Rob Leatham seems to work better [see pic below].

STANCE: Teach the new shooter to LEAN INTO the shot...so many new shooters lean slightly backwards for some reason. Leaning into the shot helps a lot with recoil. Also, stances should be such that the shooter can be dynamic (in motion and balanced).

BREATH CONTROL: It makes a difference, believe it or not. Also, holding a small breath before each shot means you breath in a little less of the chemicals that exit your firearm when shooting

Best of luck to Unfettered Might's friend, and thanks to all in this forum who pitch in to help.

I'm no pro but I AM a girl. I personally don't like revolvers but they may be the best thing for your friend if she has a hard time racking a slide. Though I dare say that with a little practice she will do just fine with a semi.

As for what she should carry- let her try holding a few different firearms. As a woman with small hands I can certainly attest to the fact that many firearms are not made for little hands. I LOVE my husband's S&W M&P compact 9. I'm also a fan of his beretta. Many firearms that I have tried and thought I would love I have not.

Good luck to your friend!

Try smith and wesson lady smith 38 spl. But for me the best carry gun for you is Sig Sauer 380. Less recoil and light to carry.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    Yeah I tried that, but she can't rack the slide reliably and even pinched the skin on the side of her finger and I had to get it off her lol. Semi's are out as an option and I don't own any revolvers...yet. I would love to take the proper time to let her try different guns, but it's just not feasible under the circumstances.
    My wife did exactly the same thing. She now will not touch a Taurus. She did have difficulties at first, but once she learned how (there is technique to racking a slide!!) she never looked back. Now she loves her Baby Eagle.
    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfling68 View Post
    My wife did exactly the same thing. She now will not touch a Taurus. She did have difficulties at first, but once she learned how (there is technique to racking a slide!!) she never looked back. Now she loves her Baby Eagle.
    That's ironic considering it was a Taurus she was racking, lol.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast