New to CCW - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to CCW

handgonnetoter Guest
    I owned two Glocks in the past - G30 & G19. I liked both of them very well, especially the G30. Some have problems shooting Glocks because of the grip angle, but I didn't. I have kind of got away from the polymer guns and now just stick with the all steel versions. I have an Indiana CCW and have had for years. Some of the wait times on the permits have been getting into the ten week range! Crazy. When I renewed mine, not to long ago, I got it back in about three weeks.

165gr.

Quote Originally Posted by Johenz View Post
    I'm new to CCW and new to these forums. I recently applied for my permit in Indiana and am eagerly awaiting it so I can purchase a Glock through the Glock LE program (having the permit is a requirement of the dealer, not statutory). I've been shopping all aspects pretty thoroughly and here's what I've come up with:

Glock 23 with Glock night sights
    180 grain Gold Dot hollow points for carry
    180 grain Speer Lawman for the range
    Crossbreed super tuck holster with combat cut

Any ideas, insghts or criticisms?

Thanx.
    Excellent setup! However, I prefer the 165gr. Speer Gold Dot JHP. I also practice with the Winchester "white box" 100rnd. value pack (165gr. FMJ) available at Wal-Mart for $26.95 a box.

Finally got the Glock 23. I love it. Had it to the range twice and out over 300 rounds through it with no problem. I seem to have tendency to shoot low and left with it which I attribute to anticipating the recoil. I did much better the scond time when I took my 18 yo son (who's a dead shot despite being his first time shooting a handgun).

I picked up an inexpensive Fobus paddle holster to wear around the house til my permit arrives and I can carry in public. I'm still waiting on my Crossbreed holster.

It's been five weeks since I applied for my permit. At that time they said 8-10 weeks. I took the 18 yo to apply or his this week and they were saying 10-16 weeks! He'll be at basic training for that time so it's not an issue for him. Now the 20 yo boy is getting interested in firearms and wants a permit.

Oldest and I went to the gun show and were both taken with the Kahr CW series. He likes the 40 and I like the 45. We'll see. He supposed to come home and go to the range with me next week.

Excellant choice, I carry ether a G-21, 36, or 27 depending on clothing for the day, the 27 can get stashed anywhere but the 21 and 36 really need to go in a OWB holster, I also had a G-26 but foolishly traded it for something I thought I needed to have, in process of getting another, also at this time there has ben probably 5 to 6 thousand rds thru these guns and I have never had a gun caused problem, of any kind

Just don't plan on firing +P or +P+ ammo through it.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

If external safeties are a problem you might look at the CZ75-P01. I carry this one most of the time now. Good size, and excellent quality. If you want a 40 caliber, the CZ P07 duty is also a great gun.

My boy's got his eye on the CW40 by Kahr Arms. We looked at it at the gun show. I was impressed by the smoothness of the trigger. Anyone have any experince or opinions on this pistol or the CW45?

New to CCW

My boy's got his eye on the CW40 by Kahr Arms. We looked at it at the gun show. I was impressed by the smoothness of the trigger. Anyone have any experince or opinions on this pistol or the CW45?
    It's pricey but excellent for deep concealment or pocket carry. There is a break in period. I almost bought a Kahr but went on some tangents.

I recommend shooting it before you buy it.

I almost went with a pocket gun or other micro carry. But, the holster I bought conceals my G23 extremely well. Why carry anything less?

I am going to shop for a concealed .45 ACP.
    www.holstershock.com

Tell 'em CDR Glock sent ya!

I thought the price was pretty good on the Kahrs.

I've been really happy with the Glock 23 thus far. I bought a Fobus paddle holster just to get used to having a weapon on my hip (since my permit hasn't arrived yet I just carry around the house) and the 23 seems pretty unobtrusive. I'm still awaiting the arrival of my Crossbreed holster which will probably be my primary CC holster.

I want to buy a second weapon for a couple of reasons. The first is that if I ever need work done on my Glock I'll have a weapon to carry. The second is that if, God forbid, I'm ever involved in a shooting I'll have a weapon to carry while the police have mine for the investigation. I have a cop acquaintance who was involved in an off duty shooting and the police kept his weapon for more than 2 months during which time he had to carry his duty weapon (a Glock 22) off duty. I hate the idea of being without a weapon having been involved in a shooting with some idiot who has idiot friends.

New to CCW

I thought the price was pretty good on the Kahrs.

I've been really happy with the Glock 23 thus far. I bought a Fobus paddle holster just to get used to having a weapon on my hip (since my permit hasn't arrived yet I just carry around the house) and the 23 seems pretty unobtrusive. I'm still awaiting the arrival of my Crossbreed holster which will probably be my primary CC holster.

I want to buy a second weapon for a couple of reasons. The first is that if I ever need work done on my Glock I'll have a weapon to carry. The second is that if, God forbid, I'm ever involved in a shooting I'll have a weapon to carry while the police have mine for the investigation. I have a cop acquaintance who was involved in an off duty shooting and the police kept his weapon for more than 2 months during which time he had to carry his duty weapon (a Glock 22) off duty. I hate the idea of being without a weapon having been involved in a shooting with some idiot who has idiot friends.
    The 27 is the intuitive choice. I got a Blue Label version for $409. Holsters, mags and ammo work. Minimum expenses.

I want a Diamondback DB 380. Reliability is a concern. A Keltec PF 9 is another option I am considering.
    www.holstershock.com

Tell 'em CDR Glock sent ya!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12