6 11.76%
  • S&W Sigma

7 13.73%
  • Walther PPS

3 5.88%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A little Advice

Talking A little Advice

Hello everyone. I've been a member of the site for a little while now and was wondering if I could get some advice.

I've applied for my CCW in Ohio (applied one week ago tomorrow, only 3 left before I get it. ) and I was wondering what gun I should get.

Guns I'm looking at:

USP 9 (either Compact or Full Size can't really tell which would be easier)
    Walther P99QA Compact
    Sig 229
    Sig 250
    S&W Sigma
    Walther PPS

All guns feel good in my hand and I LOVE the USP. I rented the USP at my local range and it shot really nice. The only downside is it is expensive (I was quoted 779.99 New). I like the Walther's but they only come with a 1 year warrenty (which really blows). My Dad and Step-Dad have carried Sigs for the past 10 years in the police dept's they work for so I know they are dependable. And I shot a Sigma during my CCW class and it was...interesting to say the lease. By the way the guns are lisited in order of what I want (ie USP 1, Walther P99 2, Sig 229 3, etc...)

Really what I want to know is opinions on how to carry the guns I've listed, and If anybody carries these guns and any experience you've had. I've been HEAVILY READING the forums for a while now, along with other forums concerning the same thing.

Now the only thing I will say is that I don't really like Glocks. Just doesn't feel right to me when I hold it. That's all. I know the record of a Glock and I've seen, both in person and deminstration video's (Police Training Things) how good Glock's are, but I feel they are not for me.

I appreciate any advice you can give. Thank you in advance.

First, I'll say that I'm not a fan of the Sigma, (at least in .40), but that's purely a personal preference. That is the only one on your list that I have any experience with.

I'm a big fan of versatility. I LOVE the concept behind the Sig 250. One of my goals is that I want to be able to fire as many common calibers as possible. Never know when the next ammo shortage will hit, and what will or will not be available. Being able to switch between frame sizes is another great feature. That would allow you to experiment with different carry methods.

That aside, If you truly like the USP above and beyond all the others, and you can swing the cost, I'd say it's worth every penny. As for size, you must consider how you intend to carry. Obviously smaller guns hide easier than larger. But it doesn't really take much to hide a full size frame. It all depends on your holster and attire. Learning how to move without printing helps too. My daily carry is a sub-compact Glock, but I now wish I had just gone with the full size, as I am certain I would be able to conceal it just as well.

Just go with your gut. It knows you best.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

wolfhunter Guest
    Like Tim said, "If you truly like the USP above and beyond all the others, and you can swing the cost, I'd say it's worth every penny."

I'd get the Compact if it were me buying.

I agree with Timmer on the S&W Sigma. Not the best call. I love S&W firearms so for me to write that.

Have you looked at or tried the M&P by S&W? They come in both duty size and compact. 9mm, 357sig, 40S&W, and .45 They are not overly expensive and they are simple to operate and reliable. I own 2 and have nothing bad to write about them.

I also agree with the P250 idea. If they ever get approved here in MA for compliance I'd be inclined to look and try.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Little Brother has a 229, The only one on the list I've shot. Pretty time tested and easy to get stuff. But don't ask me, I carry an XDm
    Semper Fi

My friend carries the XD Sub-Compact. WAY TO SMALL for me but with the full size grip it is a nice gun.

I am a Sig fan..I own four of them, including a P229 and love every one of them! They are great guns, reliable, and I like having the extra weight over a polymer.

That being said, as others have already pointed out, if the USP is what feels best to you, then buy it! There are lots of auction sites out there where you can find a better price, and even places that will do layaway if you want to go that route.

PM me if you are interested and I will send you the links to the four websites I get most of my guns from

Without getting into other pertinent considerations for such a choice >>>>
    I have an HK USP compact and would highly recommend that gun. I put on the big XS sight. BTW mine is in .40 and I love it. Check out the .40 and good luck.

[QUOTE=jibbster;140847]I am a Sig fan..I own four of them, including a P229 and love every one of them! They are great guns, reliable, and I like having the extra weight over a polymer.

Too big to carry except maybe in winter but I hope to get the Sig Tac OP in .40 someday.

I'm an unabashed HK fan. Try looking at the HK P2000. I have the SK version of it in a 9mm and it's outstanding. Ditto for the UPSs.

The only gun on your list that I'd stay away from is the S&W. From everything I've heard, their Sigma series isn't very good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast