Kill the Pigs

Thread: Kill the Pigs

1. Question Kill the Pigs

This is my first post, so please forgive me if my question is inappropriate or posted in the wrong forum.

By way of introduction, I moved here to the Big Island of Hawaii about 5 years ago. I have always lived in big cities and rural Hawaii living is still pretty new to me. Before moving here, I never owned a firearm of any kind.

I have recently purchasing both a handgun and a rifle. The handgun is a Glock 9mm, the rifle is an SKS, I know little or nothing about either of them. I have registered them both and have recently joined the NRA (though I don't know much about it except you must be a member to use the shooting range).

I got these two guns for self defense and to protect my dogs and wife (not necessarily in that order) from a pretty bad pig problem. We have seval acres of land and there is a lot of jungle surrounding us as well.

Although well trained and obedient (we do our best Dog Whisperer imitation) the 2 dogs (primarily, the male) becomes quite agressive when they see pigs on or near our property. I have never trained them to attack (I wouldn't know how) but they have killed several pigs (under 200lbs ) on their own since they were little pups (they are 5 yrs). Both my wife and I have been hurt trying to constrain them when they go after the pigs (still on leash) My wife has had some close calls several times but she has never been seriously hurt. Both my dogs and I have not been quite as lucky although we have not been hurt that badly either.

Most times, I hear the pigs or see them and can go the other way. Once I had to fight off a small 150lb male with a stick during a bloody fight and once I had a standoff with a large (250+) female with a small garden saw. That one scared me pretty bad and that's when i bought the 9mm. I have killed one with the rifle. (we ended up eating it) but I have never used the handgun except once in our front yard when I wounded a young male and he went beserk. I tried to finish him off but it was too just crazy to get closer and he ran off into the bush.

Obviously, the rifle would work for just killing them from a distance but is it actually against the law for me to carry the hand gun on my property? How about the surrounding jungle? If I kill a pig just because it's a potential danger, is that wrong?

I don't want to break any laws but I need to use common sense here. It makes no sense to me not to carry loaded firearm when I go out there. Believe me, it just takes a second and those piggies can spring out of the bush pretty quickly, especially the females when they protecting their young.

Any advice would be appreciated and thank you in advance.

Law Abiding but concerned,
    Bob

wolfhunter Guest
    Bob, Search for "GlockFan" in the Members List under the Community heading above. Send him a Private Message. He is an instructor there in Hawaii and likes to hunt. He should be able to give you valuable info specific to Hawaiian laws regarding both firearms and killing the pigs.

4. Thank you wolfhunter for the info. I will try to contact GlockFan as you suggested.

Since I have posted here, I contacted the police dept. to see if they could offer any advice and they were extremely helpful.

In fact, an officer offered to meet me at home tomorrow morning (his day off) and take care of the problem free of charge. He has no idea what he is up against, but I welcome any help at all.

Thanks again wolfhunter ... these piggies ain't so little and all the wee, wee, weeing is getting to me.

5. I'd be interested in seeing how this turns out with the officer :-)
    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
    Robert A. Heinlein

6. hey thats alot of bacon that needs to be eaten.
    Three percent of people are sociopaths and psychotic. Not alot right? With a population of 350 million thats over 10 million people in the US! I think I am going to need more Ammo!

There's at least a couple ranchers out there who sponsor pig hunting trips for tourists. They let the tourists go out armed any way they like and shoot as many as they want. Evidently the pig problem is pretty bad in some parts around there.

You may be able to get a permit for nuisance control on your property. http://www.state.hi.us/dlnr/dofaw/hu...gs_Chap123.pdf

13-123-9 Nuisance or crop damage.
    (a) The board or its authorized representative, upon receipt of written notice of nuisance or damage to
    crops, vegetative habitat, or native plants by game mammals, shall initiate an investigation of the damage or
    nuisance and based on the investigation, may issue a permit or permits authorizing the destruction or control of
    game mammals responsible for the damage or nuisance.
    (b) The method of destruction or control shall be stated on the permit together with any other terms and
    conditions the board or its authorized representative may deem proper and applicable.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

9. Not tough enough

Thank you all for your advice. Just a quick update.

The officer did meet with me the next day and we walked the perimeter of the property. He spent the entire afternoon on his day off telling me the best way to get rid of the problem. He did this all free of charge and even promised me some smoked pig after each kill.

I cannot say enough good things about this officer. He seemed to know everything there was to know about hunting pigs and also gave me some legal advice as to the use of my weapons.

I have offered to let him and his fiancee stay down there there while he thins out the population. He said his shift change would allow him to do that in a few weeks.

I might take him up on his offer but my wife and I are kinda thinking of just selling the place... the pigs are going to be there forever and I ain't gettin' any younger.

aloha,
    Bob