Range Report, Taurus PT738 TCP - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Range Report, Taurus PT738 TCP

I get it, you're a troll and a jerk, congrats!

Go away now please....

Quote Originally Posted by Nailz View Post
    I get it, you're a troll and a jerk, congrats!

Go away now please....
    <gasp!> A troll!? Take that back you bad man!!

If you don't like opposing opinions then maybe you should be the one to go away. Heck, you even mentioned the LCP in your original post. I'm sorry if I've given you reason for buyer's remorse. Maybe you can return your Taurus "FTF Special". You wouldn't have to buy the Ruger but you might want to pony-up the $$$ for the SIG. You also might want to think about changing your diapers.

Now you guys play nice, or Santa will take away your range passes personaly I had both, the TCP and LCP, my wife and I used for ankle carry, after several hundred rounds thru them we traded the LCP for a second TCP, we go to the range a lot and from personal experiance with both guns the Taurus is a much better weapon

5. I have the TCP .380. I love it. I will say the ejection of the brass seems to be different by the brand of ammo. I find the Federal FMJ's to eject very normal ( off to the side & not over my head ). I get a good ejection from the Powr Ball round as well. I use the Powr Ball for EDC and the Federal for range time. Also, I have an extremly nice grip modification. If you want to check it out, I have a video of it on YouTube. My channel is cbtcppq.

Hope this helps!!!

Hi all, new to the site, I have been lurking for a while and thought I would put out a range report of my new Taurus PT738 TCP.

I bought this yesterday, was also looking at the Sig P238 and the LCP but couldn't justify spending twice the amount on the Sig and the Taurus just felt better in my hand.

After giving the pistol a good cleaning, I went out to the range with 200 rounds of PMC 90gr FMJ and 20 rounds of Speer Gold Dots.

I started with the PMC, the first round chambered I had to give the slide a push forward to completely chamber the round, after that it was fine chambering, the first 50 gave me a couple of FTF's on the last round in the magazine. The next 50 saw a couple of FTF's when I tried to go 6+1, again on the last round.

I then switched to the Gold Dot's for 6 rounds, all fired just fine. Switching back to the PMC's for the next 50, I had one FTE and another FTF. The last 50, I had zero FTE's or FTF's, even going to 6+1. I then shot the rest of the Gold Dot's through with zero issues as well.

All in all the gun feels pretty good, my hand is a little beat up, and I believe a few of the FTF's could be my fault due to limp wristing. I will probably shoot another 100 or so before I would feel safe going to a 6+1 carry, but I think this gun will be just fine.

One annoyance, and not sure if this is normal or if I am doing something wrong, but most rounds are ejecting straight over my head, with a few here and there hitting me on the top of my head. I guess this won't be a huge deal as it's for defense and won't be a range gun, but it's kind of irritating and distracting, anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks, I hope this review is going to be helpful!
    Welcome.

From my experience shooting and watching others shoot these guns you're issues are common.

Having to push the slide forward to chamber the round can be caused by a few simple things.

1. Don't ride the slide when you chamber a round. Pull it back quick and slide your hand off the back of it and let the spring do the work. Nothing like watching someone pull a slide back and then leave their hand on it forward like a movie star.

2. The feed ramps on these lil babies are more steep than larger guns. Some Emory cloth wrapped around a pencil or a dremel with a good polishing wheel will smooth that ramp out and allow the round to ease in smoother.

As far as the round hitting your head it could be a grip issue. I don't know if you shoot one handed, tactical, or the old school cup and saucer. Keeping your wrist stiff and gripping the handle firmly with your non- trigger hand will help most jams.

Hope this helps you out. I'm no expert. Just some stuff I've learned along the way.

Hi all, new to the site, I have been lurking for a while and thought I would put out a range report of my new Taurus PT738 TCP.

I bought this yesterday, was also looking at the Sig P238 and the LCP but couldn't justify spending twice the amount on the Sig and the Taurus just felt better in my hand.

After giving the pistol a good cleaning, I went out to the range with 200 rounds of PMC 90gr FMJ and 20 rounds of Speer Gold Dots.

I started with the PMC, the first round chambered I had to give the slide a push forward to completely chamber the round, after that it was fine chambering, the first 50 gave me a couple of FTF's on the last round in the magazine. The next 50 saw a couple of FTF's when I tried to go 6+1, again on the last round.

I then switched to the Gold Dot's for 6 rounds, all fired just fine. Switching back to the PMC's for the next 50, I had one FTE and another FTF. The last 50, I had zero FTE's or FTF's, even going to 6+1. I then shot the rest of the Gold Dot's through with zero issues as well.

All in all the gun feels pretty good, my hand is a little beat up, and I believe a few of the FTF's could be my fault due to limp wristing. I will probably shoot another 100 or so before I would feel safe going to a 6+1 carry, but I think this gun will be just fine.

One annoyance, and not sure if this is normal or if I am doing something wrong, but most rounds are ejecting straight over my head, with a few here and there hitting me on the top of my head. I guess this won't be a huge deal as it's for defense and won't be a range gun, but it's kind of irritating and distracting, anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks, I hope this review is going to be helpful!
    It was not your limp wristing, the gun just needed to be broke in, my wife and I have had three, still have two, I think there head and shoulders above the LCP, and the getting beaned by the brass, is what it is, out of the two we kept one will bean you and the other dont? we realy like the little guns we keep them for ankle bugs, shoot them maybe every 6 months or so, after 2-3 hundred rds almost never have a issue,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12