Range Report, Taurus PT738 TCP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range Report, Taurus PT738 TCP

Range Report, Taurus PT738 TCP

Hi all, new to the site, I have been lurking for a while and thought I would put out a range report of my new Taurus PT738 TCP.

I bought this yesterday, was also looking at the Sig P238 and the LCP but couldn't justify spending twice the amount on the Sig and the Taurus just felt better in my hand.

After giving the pistol a good cleaning, I went out to the range with 200 rounds of PMC 90gr FMJ and 20 rounds of Speer Gold Dots.

I started with the PMC, the first round chambered I had to give the slide a push forward to completely chamber the round, after that it was fine chambering, the first 50 gave me a couple of FTF's on the last round in the magazine. The next 50 saw a couple of FTF's when I tried to go 6+1, again on the last round.

I then switched to the Gold Dot's for 6 rounds, all fired just fine. Switching back to the PMC's for the next 50, I had one FTE and another FTF. The last 50, I had zero FTE's or FTF's, even going to 6+1. I then shot the rest of the Gold Dot's through with zero issues as well.

All in all the gun feels pretty good, my hand is a little beat up, and I believe a few of the FTF's could be my fault due to limp wristing. I will probably shoot another 100 or so before I would feel safe going to a 6+1 carry, but I think this gun will be just fine.

One annoyance, and not sure if this is normal or if I am doing something wrong, but most rounds are ejecting straight over my head, with a few here and there hitting me on the top of my head. I guess this won't be a huge deal as it's for defense and won't be a range gun, but it's kind of irritating and distracting, anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks, I hope this review is going to be helpful!

Good job

Nice review. Sounds like you got a good one. I only have one taurus the PT145 and it ejects the same way. Always wear a hat with a bill or you will end up with hot brass rolling down your face.

Let me be the first to rekindle the Taurus vs Ruger debate

I've put more than 500 rnds of the same ammo (PMC 90gr FMJ) thru my LCP and have never had a problem. Not one. No FTFs, no FTEs and no hot brass in my face. Not on the first day shooting it and not on the most recent day.

<ding!> And here come the fighters for the 23rd round of this lightweight bout...

Not sure why you would try to rekindle that debate in my range report thread.... There was nothing negative in my thread about any other manufacturer, this was a just a straight report on what I found with my new Taurus.

My only comments were on the expense of the Sig for me personally and the way the Taurus felt in my hand versus the LCP.

I'm glad your LCP has been perfect for you, but it seems childish to knowingly try to stir up something, you could easily do that in your own thread, please don't do it in mine.

Thanks!

6. Tcp

I took my carry TCP to the range today, and had a pretty good day with it -- by the end of practice, I was able to put 3 magazines worth of ammo in tight groups at 3, 7 and 10 yards. Basically I ended up with all 18 rounds in a 4" group. I had a Keltech P3AT previously, but I shoot the TCP much better. Good Luck with your TCP!

That's a nice little gun and they shoot real well. Have fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailz View Post
    Not sure why you would try to rekindle that debate in my range report thread.... There was nothing negative in my thread about any other manufacturer, this was a just a straight report on what I found with my new Taurus.

My only comments were on the expense of the Sig for me personally and the way the Taurus felt in my hand versus the LCP.

I'm glad your LCP has been perfect for you, but it seems childish to knowingly try to stir up something, you could easily do that in your own thread, please don't do it in mine.

Thanks!
    Ummmm....it's not really your thread. It's everybody's thread, hence the name "forums" under the section titled "community". And it's hardly childish on my part. You're giving a range report on how a pistol performed. I'm simply adding a comparative point with a little bit of humor thrown in. After all, what good is a review of something without a comparison to something similar??

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    Ummmm....it's not really your thread. It's everybody's thread, hence the name "forums" under the section titled "community". And it's hardly childish on my part. You're giving a range report on how a pistol performed. I'm simply adding a comparative point with a little bit of humor thrown in. After all, what good is a review of something without a comparison to something similar??
    Actually, yeah it is my thread, being as how I started it, with a range report.

I didn't ask for comparative points of what other guns did upon break in, I simply stated how mine fared and asked what suggestions people might have had for brass ejecting over my head.

What I did not ask for was how perfect your LCP was or your attempt at "rekindling" an apparent long standing dispute between the 2 guns. You even sounded the bell seemingly knowing what you posted would start something up, that isn't actually humorous.

If that isn't childish, not sure what it is. While I may not have a lot of posts on this sight, I know a troll when I see it, and that's exactly what you are doing. If you have comments about how your Taurus performs I would be happy to hear it, but again, I will assume you are one of those guys who will post about how crappy another gun is without actually having ever shot or owned one.

So at this point, go ahead and get your final $.02 in, I assume you will need it. I am just trying to provide an unbiased report of my very first pocket carry. Congrats on your LCP, I hope it serves you well!

Thumbs up Range Report, Taurus PT738 TCP

I've owned my TCP for awhile now and I haven't had the first FTF or FTE on rapid fire or otherwise. My Daughter has an LCP and it will stovepipe alot with her, but then she has had Carpul-Tunnel Surgery on both wrists which may had alot to do with her grip. I've shot her LCP and I still like my TCP better, the trigger pull is lighter on mine, the slide locks back after the last round is fired, and the gun has double strike capability, plus it looks better than the LCP. NOTE: I've not had a chance to hold or fire a Kel-Tec P3AT, so I won't include it here.
    MSgt, USAF (ret), Life Member - NRA, Life Member - NAHC,
    Life Member - NCOA, Member - USCCA, Member - NCGR,
    Member - Oathkeepers

Quote Originally Posted by Nailz View Post
    Actually, yeah it is my thread, being as how I started it, with a range report.

I didn't ask for comparative points of what other guns did upon break in
    My apologies Your Highness! I didn't realize the Supreme Emperor of the Forums was in the house! A thousand pardons, majesty...please don't hit me as you swing your sceptre.

You didn't ask?? Too bad because I didn't seek your permission and neither does anyone else on these boards before they post. Get over it. You make a post and it's open for anyone to respond whether it fits your agenda or not. You made a post about a pistol. I responded with comments about another pistol in the same class as yours.

Don't like it?? Again....too bad. Start a private forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast