Why do you carry different guns?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you carry different guns?

Question Why do you carry different guns?

I have read alot of things on the boards about "winter" and "summer" carry guns. My question is fairly simple I guess. Why do you carry a heavier weapon in colder months than in summer months?

I understand that you can conceal "more" gun with the heavier clothes that winter allows you to wear but, do you really NEED a larger means of self protection. Is crime statisticaly higher when it's cold? I've always known the summer heat to make a BG crazy along with everyone else. When it's 80 at 3 A.M. here in August I see ALOT more activity than when it's 30.

I feel that my M&P 9mm and I more than ready\able to protect myself and my family in any temperature. In any clothing. In any light conditions.

Have you so little faith in your "summer" gun that you pray for cold weather to carry that 1911 in a stout .45 caliber, and if so, why don't you just find a better way to conceal that monster?

I'm truly curious about all this and I pass NO judgment on anyone about anything. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something. Thanks in advance for your replies.
    Unapologetic American
    NRA/IDPA/USPSA/GSSF

Because I can?

Actually, I've pondered your question too. I live in Vegas, and don't even own heavy winter clothing. I carry the same guns year around, varying them based on how inconspicuous I want to be, and how casual the clothing I'm wearing is. Do these Fimbulwinter dwellers feel the need for more power to penetrate the substantial winter garments of their potential adversaries?

Come on cold-weather people---warm weather minds want to know!:D
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

I have three regular carry revolvers, primarily for different needs for concealment. It is as much a situational thing, as a "hot & cold" thing. The best arrangement in my opinion, is one weapon, carried the same way always. That just isn't practicle in some situations. If you can do that, more power to you - not much argument about that. :)
    sailor

Just not sure why the smaller guns. If you're willing to carry a .38 snubby or even a .380 with hydra shok, why then do you NEED to carry a larger or larger caliber gun?

Again, do you think you can't defend yourself with that .380 while wearing board shorts instead of a parka. Even worse, do you really like wearing that rediculous "I'm packing" vest just to conceal a gun that everyone knows you have because you inadvertantly advertised it.
    Unapologetic American
    NRA/IDPA/USPSA/GSSF

6. Here is my reasoning it may be sound or not.

Up in the great white north we get snow. Back home they got 2 feet of snow right now, and more on the way. That snow didn't just drop over night it's been piling up since before Christmas. That means it ain't got above freezing since then. In order to stay warm you got to dress in layers. I know of one time when it never got above zero degrees F for over a week straight! So a small caliber handgun will have more trouble putting down a BG in this case. So I opt to carry the bigger gun.

Now in summer we dress lighter so a big gun is hard to hide. Hence the little one, though I would not trust anything smaller than 38 Spl myself. A nice light weight 38 like the ones from SW is very comfortable and concealable.

One more thought. Many people get tired of having to work to hard to conceal a large gun. Some may even opt not to carry where as if they had a small pocket gun they might. The first rule in a gun fight is to have a gun.

These are my reasons plus I guess if I were to be honest I just like the idea of having more guns.
    ["Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
    - Ben Franklin
    FONT]

Well...There are a bunch of reasons. I don't always carry a bigger gun, but I think about it. Its nice to "comfortably" carry my SAA once in a while. I like to carry it, I feel at home with it. Although its easier to carry in a side holster under a big jacket then shoved down my pants during the summer. So there is the issue of wanting to carry other guns and comfort in doing so. You do that in the summer and people wonder why your wearing the parka.

A big reason is that peoples clothing choices change quite a bit during the winter. You are more likely going to run into an attacker with heavy winter clothing on in some places during the winter than the summer. Now granted this is up north winters, but still. There has been studies, and I cannot remember which federal law enforcement branch it was. Someone else may remember. The studies involved penetration of bullet calibers through moderate to heavy winter clothes. Although all bullets pass through, some calibers...The lower ones, had a harder time remaining as effective.

So with all that in mind, one has a better oppurtunity to carry large guns, aka size, that maybe they like but cant fit comfortably during the summer and having a larger gun, aka caliber, can be useful if your up where people wear heavier clothing sometimes. Its just a choice thing.. Don't think anyone feels outgunned either way. Many just like the oppurtunity to dust some the other relics off the shelf during the winter that dont get to see as much use.
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    ---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

Regardless of the weather, I'll be carrying the same 3 guns in the same places (1 Glock 23 and 2 Glock 27s') when I'm working. When not working, I'll carry 2 guns (where legal) in the same places.

I believe that consistencey and practice are key factors in properly carrying concealed firearms.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

The firearm is just a tool.
    Different tools fit different situations better.

Larger caliber guns can penetrate all that extra clothing (I grew up in the South - Southern Wisconsin!) I recall how much I had to bundle up in winter. For a round to stop a BG, penetration is important, no? But there's something else: How many people, just on this site alone own more than one handgun, each with the ability to stop a BG? So, a parallel question, which is in the same vein as the one asked on this thread: If one handgun can stop a BG, why do you own more than one? The answer: Because we like them and because we can. I sure as hell wouldn't want to own only one gun. To the contrary, I want more.
    I know a man by the name of Mel;
    he can't see but he sure do smell.

echo_5 Guest
    The other respondants pretty much nailed it. I think it has to do with dressing around the gun. I'm 6'+ and trim. Couple this with IWB carry and I can conceal my P99 year-round, even in board shorts. The second point is penetration through winter clothing. Assuming that a second (i.e., summer) gun is of a lesser caliber then multiple shots are required to STOP a BG in the cold.

-my $.02

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast