M&P.357 vs .40?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M&P.357 vs .40?

M&P.357 vs .40?

So Iím thinking of buying a compact M&P in either .357 sig or .40...any thoughts? Plan on going to S&W to try out both within the next week or so. I've also read conflicting reports on the Mass compliant triggers. Some have said it feels (to them) to be smoother and more positive even going as far as to recommend having it installed, others have reported hating the 10lb pull. Living in lovely ol' Mass I donít have much choice in the matter. If I do end up liking the gun enough after trying it out, I can always have the Performance center run a trigger job on it, although they did tell me they would NOT change out the springs for me after purchase, and doing so would void the warranty. Iím about 90% sure Iím going to buy it, now itís mostly down to the caliber...

3. Having fired both, I believe I would go with the 40. 40S&W ammo is so much more available, affordable and controllable. I cannot however speak intelligently about the effectiveness of the rounds comparitively.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

Unless your mind is already made up as to caliber, have you checked out the M&P9mm? After looking at the cost of 357sig and availability, and the cost of the 40 caliber ammo just for practicing could run you a fortune if you don't reload yourself. I own the M&P9 and it has all the power you need, and with the cost difference in ammo you could buy another pistol in a couple of months if you shoot much. 20.00+ per box of 40 vs 12.00+ per box of 9 vs 30.00+ to 50.00+ per box of .357sig. And you can always get 9mm ammo.

5. Quote Originally Posted by THE DUKE OF ESSEX View Post
    Unless your mind is already made up as to caliber, have you checked out the M&P9mm? After looking at the cost of 357sig and availability, and the cost of the 40 caliber ammo just for practicing could run you a fortune if you don't reload yourself. I own the M&P9 and it has all the power you need, and with the cost difference in ammo you could buy another pistol in a couple of months if you shoot much. 20.00+ per box of 40 vs 12.00+ per box of 9 vs 30.00+ to 50.00+ per box of .357sig. And you can always get 9mm ammo.
    The M&P 9c is my carry gun. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

I will have to cast a vote for the M&P40c. Have one and love it. Plenty of defense ammo choices with great stopping power in that caliber.
    Target ammo if you shop at Wal-Mart, is about Ę50 more per 50 round box than the 9mm so cost is not really a big issue for practice. It conceals great in a CrossBreed SuperTuck with shorts and a tee-shirt. It's the same price as the 9mm, but .40 S&W has better ballistic performance... The .357sig ammo is harder to locate and will cost more.

Don't worry about the trigger, that can be fixed. I have done the "adjustment" to both my M&P45 and the 40c and have smooth 6lb trigger pulls. A good gunsmith can rework it easily.

Just my opinion.

Where in MA may I ask? Use Private Message if you would rather not post location in open forum.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by kn1080 View Post
    The M&P 9c is my carry gun. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!
    Oh you mean the wife has not absconded with it yet?

Let her have it and get the M&P45.

Peace...

8. Buy the .40 and check with Bar-Sto or one of the other pistol barrel makers and buy a .357 Sig barrel for it and have it fitted by your local gunsmith. That way, you have both calibers available.

The rim diameters of both rounds are the same (so no extractor change should be needed), so all you need to do is change barrels and MAYBE (but I doubt it) recoil springs. The .40 mags should feed the .357 Sig ammo, too, since it's just a .40 round necked down to take a 9mm bullet.

kn1080, yes I do reload myself, been doing it for years in .38spl & .45. It’s half the fun of going to the target range for me. I only have a single stage press, so a box of 50 .38's runs me about an hour to make, but while some people might sit down and read to relax, I occasionally indulge in an hour or two of reloading. As to 9mm...I’ve shot many over the years, and this is just personal opinion, I didn’t like them that much. I would love to have one of the Kel-tec 9's, esp. for the summer. But as you all know, the Kremlin has dictated that all guns must pass the scrutiny of the KGB. Those Kel-tecs might be too "unsafe" for us consumers

6shootercarry I actually checked out the CrossBreed the other day on the website. Right now I carry my .38 in the small of my back, or in the winter a shoulder rig when a change seems in order. The crossbreed looks very appealing, that extra bit of leather protecting my back from the hammer spur. The only issue I have with having the trigger re-worked is that S&W told me in no uncertain terms that doing so immediately voids the warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by ARV View Post
    kn1080, yes I do reload myself, been doing it for years in .38spl & .45. Itís half the fun of going to the target range for me. I only have a single stage press, so a box of 50 .38's runs me about an hour to make, but while some people might sit down and read to relax, I occasionally indulge in an hour or two of reloading. As to 9mm...Iíve shot many over the years, and this is just personal opinion, I didnít like them that much. I would love to have one of the Kel-tec 9's, esp. for the summer. But as you all know, the Kremlin has dictated that all guns must pass the scrutiny of the KGB. Those Kel-tecs might be too "unsafe" for us consumers

6shootercarry I actually checked out the CrossBreed the other day on the website. Right now I carry my .38 in the small of my back, or in the winter a shoulder rig when a change seems in order. The crossbreed looks very appealing, that extra bit of leather protecting my back from the hammer spur. The only issue I have with having the trigger re-worked is that S&W told me in no uncertain terms that doing so immediately voids the warranty.
    The SuperTuck works well with the M&P compact. The other holster guy I like for custom stuff is Gary Brommeland. Not as cheap as the Crossbreed, but great design and comfort.
    Holsters Concealment Systems Gunleather Concealed Carry for Weapons

Yes it will void the warranty. I took mine to the range and popped about 100 rounds through it looking for any issues. Found none so I took it home and took it apart. I have this insatiable urge to see how things work at the detailed level.

Peace..

Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    Buy the .40 and check with Bar-Sto or one of the other pistol barrel makers and buy a .357 Sig barrel for it and have it fitted by your local gunsmith. That way, you have both calibers available.

The rim diameters of both rounds are the same (so no extractor change should be needed), so all you need to do is change barrels and MAYBE (but I doubt it) recoil springs. The .40 mags should feed the .357 Sig ammo, too, since it's just a .40 round necked down to take a 9mm bullet.
    The magazine for the M&P40c is marked for both .357sig and 40S&W...

Hummmm. Food for thought... I'll ask the smith I know...

Peace...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast